Have you walked away from your car wondering whether you switched off the engine?

Ziggity

:
2013 CX-5 Sport
Happened to me the other day. Had to mentally go over 'leaving the car' until I realised i didn't hear the beeps.

Very unnerving.

Did it a few times, actually walked away one time thinking I'd address the issue of it not locking only to come back 20 minutes later to find the engine still running. Kinda made me scratch my head....

There should be a feature:
If car = RUNNING
AND
car = NOT MOVING
AND
driver seat = passenger seat = no pressure (seat belt warning NOT active)
AND
time = +30 min
AND
Car keys = NOT detected
SWITCH ENGINE OFF
END IF

But - there are these pets..... owners leave them in the back seats, sometimes!

Did this once. Went out to lunch with friends, was distracted when I parked the car and was a busy parking lot plus got out of the car the car next to mine was running so didn't notice mine still running. Locked it and went to lunch, came back over an hour later and got in and then noticed I left it running. :(

A 13 might be different to my 16 which as stated above make lots of fuss if you try to leave it with the engine running. The walk away locking isn’t consistent enough to trust it and when I leave mine at work in the city centre, I sometimes get 100 yes away from it to go and check its locked and the windows are fully closed. Its a kind of “did I lock the front door” at home moment that comes from being a drip.

Never managed to leave the engine running I’m afraid though. It was actually parked up and not moving at the time? ;-)

Back