2016 cx-9 grand touring highway speed vibration

hancockjames

:
2016 cx-9 grand touring
Hello!

Just bought a brand new 2016 cx-9 grand touring from dealer last Saturday, I love the soul-red color and all the technologies on my vehicle, it drives so amazing, steering wheel is very easy to control and 20 inch wheels just looks amazing!

But one flaw so far is that I feel the vibration when the cx-9 is over 65 mph, it's not a crazy shaking but a minor vibration which is very annoying when you have a long trip on highway.

My dealer is very responsible and they are currently contacting Mazda Connecticut district people to find out the solutions so I am still waiting the answer.

Does anyone of you guys feel the same issue and how you solve this issue? Bunch of thanks in advance!

Last edited:
No, have not experienced such shaking at highway speeds and we took ours down to Myrtle Beach on over 1000 miles of highway driving. of course, there are occasional shakes/bumps over uneven pavement but i'm assuming that is not what you're talking about.

No vibrations at all on mine.. Try to ask your dealer where you got it from to check the wheel balancing. Have them take each one off and check each for some missing weights. That can happen sometimes. Had that problem before with my 2013 CX-9 and pretty much there was a mssing weight on one wheel which was the cause of the vibration at 70mph.

No, have not experienced such shaking at highway speeds and we took ours down to Myrtle Beach on over 1000 miles of highway driving. of course, there are occasional shakes/bumps over uneven pavement but i'm assuming that is not what you're talking about.

Thanks for the info! Yeah, my feeling is not caused by the road conditions, my wrx drives smoother on the same highway so it's definitely something about my cx-9.

No vibrations at all on mine.. Try to ask your dealer where you got it from to check the wheel balancing. Have them take each one off and check each for some missing weights. That can happen sometimes. Had that problem before with my 2013 CX-9 and pretty much there was a mssing weight on one wheel which was the cause of the vibration at 70mph.

Thanks Stryker! I will have dealer looking into this, sounds like this could be the answer!

Hello!

Just bought a brand new 2016 cx-9 grand touring from dealer last Saturday, I love the soul-red color and all the technologies on my vehicle, it drives so amazing, steering wheel is very easy to control and 20 inch wheels just looks amazing!

But one flaw so far is that I feel the vibration when the cx-9 is over 65 mph, it's not a crazy shaking but a minor vibration which is very annoying when you have a long trip on highway.

My dealer is very responsible and they are currently contacting Mazda Connecticut district people to find out the solutions so I am still waiting the answer.

Does anyone of you guys feel the same issue and how you solve this issue? Bunch of thanks in advance!

Stryker medic likely hit the nail on the head.

I noted a slight vibration in mine at some speeds and had the dealership check wheel balance.
All four were out of balance ... some by as little as 1 oz and one at 2-1/2 oz!
Once rebalanced the vibration disappeared; though washboard roads sometimes recreate the feeling.

Hello fellow connecticutean! I took my CX-9 up to 80 mph and it is very smooth, smoother than an X3 it replaced. And way quieter. Which dealership are you working with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello!

No vibrations with my GT ... I'm in Southern California and roads here suck! I get a lot of road noise. The only thing I've noticed has been windnoise... over 65-70mph, I heard forced wind noise through the side doors. Very annoying.

There can be many causes. Wheel balance as noted. Wheel that is bent (by previous test driver or port driver hitting something), out-of-round or failing tire, driveshaft imbalance. The dealer can check all these.

Hello!

No vibration at all. I have the GT AWD Soul Red as well. Already done a couple of trips and this thing drives like a 100,000 USD SUV. I even drive it with 7 passengers and full of baggage and experienced lot of power on the highway. Drive like an sport sedan... lot of fun!

I believe your dealer needs to check your Mazda. You must felt an smooth ride at any speed.

Last edited:
Liberty Mazda, they just changed a tire for me and seems like they got the job done, I do not feel the obvious vibration now.

I'm having the same problem!! I'm so happy I found your post. I created a subject in the 2016 CX-9 thread for wheel vibration.

The shaking has been going on since we purchased the car in July. Since then, we have done several wheel balances (didn't work). Mazda replaced all 4 tires and the drive shaft. The shaking came back. What's really annoying is the severity changes and it's not based on road conditions.

I currently have 13,XXX miles on it. Going back to the dealer again tomorrow where a Mazda corporate engineer will take another look at it.

Latest posts

Back