Agile handling - MATTERS!!!!

bmninada

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red
I never, ever thought of this - till I witnessed it first hand today!! I wanted to rush home and write about this.

Not many (like me) actually think about the fact that if a car's agile, i.e. responsive it matters , w.r.t. safety.

Today, in NJ RT-27, which has 2 lanes and many, many side lanes I was cruising along behind a RAV4 and behind me almost tailgating me a Porche Cayenne. Suddenly a car entered our lanes realized its mistake and swerved. From its passenger window flew bang on front of the RAV4 - the other car owner's bloody dog!! Between us 3 cars there was about 1 car length each. The RAV4 - it was immediately noticeable turned but slowly and rammed into the sidewalk, saving the dog.

I braked - cut left and simultaneously the Porsche also (most probably). In a nutshell, both of our cars reacted to this in sync, immediately and gracefully flew past the RAV4, the crouched shivering dog and a screaming (inside) lady of the dog owner's car!! Crossed all of them and gracefully stopped AFTER the intersection.

In all of this - I realized having car which reacts QUICKLY to steering changes, speed changes - matters, matters a LOT. Everywhere we end up reading about CX-5 responsiveness w.r.t. over-taking, etc. but that same responsiveness also helps in crash avoidance! Proof in point: The Porsche behind me (I later found out) has all the extras like torque vectoring, etc. and reacted exactly like my CX-5 and Porsche is known for it agility!

In comparison, the RAV4 I could literally see its rear wheels turning, stability kicking in and the LOOOONNGGG curve ratio, slow response caused it to crash into something (sidewalk).

The dog's alive and safe. No injuries to anyone.

A quick question : This leads me to believe, CX-5 has a good and TIGHT turn ratio I think, in comparison to other comparable cars? Dunno.

WOW, real world proof of CX-5 handling and responsiveness, thanks for sharing. just glad everyone is ok, poor dog, makes me want to get off my a$$ and stop procrastinating and get that damn dashcam installed just in case of accidents like this one. really surprised no car manufacturers offer OEM blackboxes or dashcams yet, must be a liability thing.

Honestly, this incidence has more to do with driving skill than agile handling. It would be the same result even if the RAV4 lady was driving a Porche Cayenne!

Sure, good handling adds safety for vehicles, and that's why we all bought the CX-5! :)

Sure footed handling is something a large majority of buying public doesn't get. It's all about features to some.

All good in their mind with gadgets even with the float of a '70's boat.

1978_Lincoln_Continental_Town_Car,_front_right.jpg

Thank You so much for writing this. I have been singing this song since 1969 when I bought my first good handling car (a used BMW 1600) Everyone was buying boats and they would ask what happens when you run head on into a normal size car. My answer was no one knows, the BMW drivers always drive around the potential accident.

I had kids when the mini vans were first coming out and every family we knew bought one. by then my wife was sold on handling. She test drove a minivan and said, I wont buy it, it doesn't feel safe.

BTW I have had the car behind me hit the car in front of me after I quickly got out of the way.

Driving skill more than the car capability, but the CX 5 instills confidence so you feel like you can do the maneuvers. NJ Rt 27 sounds like it deserves hazard pay. Great story.

Honestly, this incidence has more to do with driving skill than agile handling. It would be the same result even if the RAV4 lady was driving a Porche Cayenne!

Sure, good handling adds safety for vehicles, and that's why we all bought the CX-5! :)
This.

I wonder what car managed threw the dog out, that's gotta be over 1G in lateral[emoji2]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

This.

I wonder what car managed threw the dog out, that's gotta be over 1G in lateral[emoji2]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I dunno, sometimes it IS about the car. Especially braking. It certainly doesn't hurt to have better tools.

Well - on one hand I feel happy w.r.t. driving skills but please note: the driver behind me ALSO reacted and we both could avoid this, together and almost in sync. Trust me, at the point it happened was not really into driving skills mode and was actually a bit tired. The thing is - when I turned my steering wheel, the car instantly reacted and moved to the right in CONCERT with the AWD kicking in with all the associated gizmos like traction/stability which I have seen in other cars tries to STRAIGHTEN things but in this case somehow realized it should not and supported the whole thing. Now, I have a "thing" for being rear ended and was looking into the rear-view and the Porche behind me was CONSTANTLY in sight - straight up with some lateral movements. In other words, a freaking Porsche is a Porsche. My CX5 behaved and MATCHED up to Porsche standards and we together went by from left and stopped in front.

Personally, I think its the car, it has a subtle edge to it, when in comes to agility and reacting to human requests. I can't quite explain the RAV4 behavior except that I saw it tried to stop, then was going left but its rear was going too fast?? to the right instead and that's when the reverse happened for a split second and finally it started to turn! Now beyond that I was more concerned about MY car.. LOL but the end result felt good... boy - it felt good!

I kicked traction control in and it did not realize it should go with things. It tried to straighten things and I was not down with that, but...it did a good job fighting with me. I was impressed.

It certainly doesn’t depend entirely on the driver and the RAV4 (depending which year it was but certainly since 2006) is a very capable handling SUV. Both of these cars have a very similar stability control system that integrate the steering, brakes and the AWD if fitted. They use steering angle (from the electronic steering motor), speed (from all 4 wheels individually) and inertia (from onboard G force sensors) to determine the stability and control of the vehicle at any time. It is always active but hopefully lies dormant until just such a situation described above happens at which time all hell breaks loose in systemville. If the steering angle doesn’t match the computer mapped expectations of the VSC (vehicle stability control) then the brake system can generate off pedal brake force and apply individual force to each wheel depending on what kind of skid is occurring. During this time, the system completely ignores the driver brake pedal input, the accelerator completely ignores the driver and the steering will encourage correct input and discourage (by applying a resistive force but not completely stopping it) to the steering wheel. If the vehicle has AWD (and that is why I would always recommend that option) it also steps in by varying the amount of front to rear drive ratio. Inputs also come from outside temperature, wet road (assumed by having the wipers on), uphill or downhill etc.

Being a good driver might not mean race trained but just having the wits to realise the situation and some ability to react to it. Some drivers are completely detached from the real world and how they get from A to B amazes me. Some are engrossed in conversation, confounded mobile phones or other occupation rather than drive, and some like the elderly just can’t react to a situation any more. In these cases, the VSC on a modern vehicle has saved many lives just by being able to moderate some of the inputs when somebody yanks on the steering at speed. It does make a difference and the CX-5, especially the latest incarnation has an astonishing contribution to avoiding a collision. In the above situation, you probably only realised a tiny amount of what it is capable of if you had thrown ice or water into the mix, let alone more speed or more need to deviate from a straight line.

What I would want to do from that is to get hold of the lady with the dog, make her watch the entire situation back on video, explain the contribution to the lives of many people that the vehicles made, then have her banned from keeping an dog, prosecute her for attempted manslaughter before banning her from driving.

Last edited:
It certainly doesn’t depend entirely on the driver and the RAV4 (depending which year it was but certainly since 2006) is a very capable handling SUV. Both of these cars have a very similar stability control system that integrate the steering, brakes and the AWD if fitted. They use steering angle (from the electronic steering motor), speed (from all 4 wheels individually) and inertia (from onboard G force sensors) to determine the stability and control of the vehicle at any time. It is always active but hopefully lies dormant until just such a situation described above happens at which time all hell breaks loose in systemville. If the steering angle doesn’t match the computer mapped expectations of the VSC (vehicle stability control) then the brake system can generate off pedal brake force and apply individual force to each wheel depending on what kind of skid is occurring. During this time, the system completely ignores the driver brake pedal input, the accelerator completely ignores the driver and the steering will encourage correct input and discourage (by applying a resistive force but not completely stopping it) to the steering wheel. If the vehicle has AWD (and that is why I would always recommend that option) it also steps in by varying the amount of front to rear drive ratio. Inputs also come from outside temperature, wet road (assumed by having the wipers on), uphill or downhill etc.

Being a good driver might not mean race trained but just having the wits to realise the situation and some ability to react to it. Some drivers are completely detached from the real world and how they get from A to B amazes me. Some are engrossed in conversation, confounded mobile phones or other occupation rather than drive, and some like the elderly just can’t react to a situation any more. In these cases, the VSC on a modern vehicle has saved many lives just by being able to moderate some of the inputs when somebody yanks on the steering at speed. It does make a difference and the CX-5, especially the latest incarnation has an astonishing contribution to avoiding a collision. In the above situation, you probably only realised a tiny amount of what it is capable of if you had thrown ice or water into the mix, let alone more speed or more need to deviate from a straight line.

What I would want to do from that is to get hold of the lady with the dog, make her watch the entire situation back on video, explain the contribution to the lives of many people that the vehicles made, then have her banned from keeping an dog, prosecute her for attempted manslaughter before banning her from driving.

Anchorman - I have been quietly reading your posts here and 1 more loc and yes - you do seem to know what you're talking about! Couple of pointers here: which ideally I ought to have mentioned initially. Police did come, thanked the 2 of us (CX5 and Porsche) and the lady did get multiple tickets including something related to endangerment or something.
Now - coming back to Porsche guy. He owns a RAV4 and a H(?)/RV (is there something like that?). We talked along with the RAV4. Here's the something Porsche guy said (word to word) "Its all in also how connected you are to the road. Yours (as I read about Mazda) and mine have a stiffer suspension and few other things which cause us to feel the road more. Effectively, when we react, the mechanics in the car and our own perception - just prior to the incident is more stiff and thus agile. Effectively reacts better. The RAV4 - Toyota on the other hand is more detached feel of the road. Which is why families love it. I have been racing for sometime now and now in my 60s, I feel more obliged to settle down, but with a Porsche. So trust me when I tell you - stiffer ride, bigger tires do make a significant difference. What surprised me with your CX5 though it was able to cut thru with just few feet of gap in front. That tells me it's steering angle is really good, in fact better than mine." He then went on about down-shifting, etc. which went @#@#$$ for me.

I can not of course made it verbatim - but you guys get the gist. Wondering if his comments has any value? The last point went however like a tangent over my head.

I guess what I was trying to say is that modern vehicles do indeed react better to such situations and in a car from even as late as the 90s might have ended up all over the place.

Here in Europe, RAVs (of which I'm a big fan) are set up different than in the USA. Their suspension is much stiffer than a CX-5 and the handling is sports car like or as near as possible for an SUV. The Porsch is a different kettle of fish and in my opinion can't be compared. I'm not a lover of them and see as an extravagant toy but when it comes to handling, those things are in a different league and when pushed will out handle our puny CX-5s and RAV4s for dead.

Back