How do you keep the backup camera clean and dry during rainy days?

rapster88

:
Mazda CX-5
Hi,

Any tips on keeping the backup camera of my CX-5 to be clean from dirt and especially water dripping from the upper back of the car under the rain? I often find myself in the situation where the visibility from camera has become very poor. I tried to make a DIY tiny roof and stick it just above the camera but that didn't help much.

Any other suggestions?

If you're backing up after just entering the car, I would just walk past the back of the car and maybe wipe the lens with my finger to help clear the view when backing out of the parking space. If you're backing up after driving for a length of time without getting out of the car, then I don't know.

Any good hydrophobic coating will help shed the rain and dirt to some degree. There is much better products then rain-x. nothing against rain-x other then it doesn't last very long. I like aquapel or trico view for my glass, lasts about 6-8 months maybe more before needing reapplication. Recently I put a bit of Optimum gloss coat on the lens when I coated the paint. Stuff is amazing and lasts 2+ years. But nothing will keep it completely clean 100% of the time, except maybe knocking out the rear window and having someone back there with a towel to wipe it for you every few seconds.

Thanks for the suggestions. I got something similar to RainX which I usually use for the front windshield. I'll try that on the camera :)

Please report back on how that works. We spent a few days in the Olympic Nat Forest last month, which reminded us what rain was since we live in CA. And had to clean the rear view lens and it didn't last long.

Trust me, the aquapel or trico view (same product different name) works very well on the rear camera

I just ignore it and have never had an issue. I can still see plenty well enough to determine the area is clear.

Think about this:
When exactly would you USE the backup camera?
99% after parking and then moving out, either from a parking lot, parallel parked OR MORE IMPORTANTLY - 80% of the time: one's own garage!
Either case - Move back to "P", get out, clean/wipe the lens, get back in and continue.

In all these cases, never found a car honk back it me.

Think about this:
When exactly would you USE the backup camera?
99% after parking and then moving out, either from a parking lot, parallel parked OR MORE IMPORTANTLY - 80% of the time: one's own garage!
Either case - Move back to "P", get out, clean/wipe the lens, get back in and continue.

In all these cases, never found a car honk back it me.

Things are MUCH different in other parts of the world, buddy.

Back