Known headlight issues

Jasonp

:
Mazda CX5
Hello,

I purchased a new 2016 CX-5 GT last September. It has 8000 miles on it and it has always been garage kept. I noticed a white milky film on the inside of the headline assembly a few weeks ago. I brought it into the dealer and after submitting the problem to Mazda, they told me it was a known issue and they were replaced.

The problem now is that the throw of the lights is only about 20 feet. Can anyone tell me how to adjust them? I have the self leveling LED headlights.

Thank you,

Jason

Why are you messing with this issue? Take it back to the dealer and get them to make it right!

Appointment scheduled

Why are you messing with this issue? Take it back to the dealer and get them to make it right!

I made an appointment for today. Ultimately it is easier and more convenient for me to just adjust them in my garage. I have to tools and the time and, I can adjust them in the dark and test them.

I made an appointment for today. Ultimately it is easier and more convenient for me to just adjust them in my garage. I have to tools and the time and, I can adjust them in the dark and test them.

Let us know what happens. I had my replaced and thought they were also pointing too low but just accepted it and got use to it. But I would take it back in if I hear about the dealer correcting it. So keep us updated!

Let us know what happens. I had my replaced and thought they were also pointing too low but just accepted it and got use to it. But I would take it back in if I hear about the dealer correcting it. So keep us updated!

I wouldn't accept that! Prior to replacement, the lights were amazing! The throw was awesome and the road was well illuminated. After replacemt the throw might get out to 20-30 feet. When driving 60-70 MPH, that is absolutely unacceptable. I'll let you know how well they worked after I test them this evening.

I tried to adjust them myself last night and the adjustment knob didn't adjust anything. I'm thinking that it may have been a limit screw for the autoleveling function.

I didn't think that CX-5 had true auto leveling headlights. The way I understand it is there is a sensor at the back wheels that senses whether or not the rear is weighted down and will adjust the headlight based off that. They only activate if they sense weight change in the rear end. You have to set the starting point for that by adjusting the headlights. I believe there is a small adjuster screw. If you look at the front cowl near the headlights there is a little picture of a light with a +/1 1% I believe directing you to the hole that the adjuster can be reached. The headlights won't just auto level to the correct level everytime you start the car. They move up and down with rear weight detected.

If your is truly that far off perhaps they were installed wrong when replaced and not seated properly. My dealer is stupid and told me the only way they could maybe adjust them was to shim them with washers or something. :facepalm: I believe the Mazda software can be connected and tell whether or not those rear sensors are working properly. Or just try opening the trunk and sitting on the rear bumper as you watch the headlights. It's funny I was driving home last night and thought to myself I wish I had a tad more throw with these lights and low and behold here is a topic this morning about headlight aim

There is a thread on this including pictures of the adjustment nut which sticks out the back with a pointie washer.

I purchased a new 2016 CX-5 GT last September. It has 8000 miles on it and it has always been garage kept. I noticed a white milky film on the inside of the headline assembly a few weeks ago. I brought it into the dealer and after submitting the problem to Mazda, they told me it was a known issue and they were replaced.

The problem now is that the throw of the lights is only about 20 feet. Can anyone tell me how to adjust them? I have the self leveling LED headlights.
There is a TSB for those defective LED headlights:

TSB on headlight defect 2016 CX5

attachment.php

In addition, there're quite a few 2016 CX-5 GT's with LED headlights are having issue with load sensing adjuster on the left rear suspension which was installed reversed at the factory:

Raise the headlight on 2016 w Tec & Isense

IMG_54561.JPG

You can make some initial setting adjustment for auto-leveling on the LED headlights. But the Mazda dealer is supposed to make proper adjustment after the LED headlight replacement according to the TSB. And the adjustment procedure is complicated with special equipment, hence most dealers simply won't do it with all kind of excuses!

There is a thread on this including pictures of the adjustment nut which sticks out the back with a pointie washer.
From post #34 in your thread mentioned above and this member has a 2016 CX-5 GT with Tech:

I don't know if this helps anyone but here are the headlight adjust points on my car. They are just in-board of the headlights, you can see the general area in the first pic. The second shows the little arrow and hole to insert screw driver into. Look down into it to see the gear to turn, same thing on other side.

Each light has another adjuster in-board of those that are covered by a white plastic cover. I believe these are for the side-to-side adjustments. At least that is how it's been on every other car I've had and not really meant to be used.

I had to adjust mine as they were way too far down. Also adjusted fogs to run more horizontal with ground (but not up into anyone's eyes ) as a low and wide filler. Makes an incredible difference this way for me. Love these lights.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I had the same problem and here's what the dealer said - RECOMMEND you live with it, its not bad. We have no issues replacing it. It'll cost us nothing, Mazda pays. But here's what will happen: your new headlights will throw light less than the factory installed. We have replaced at least 10 of these 2016 till now and each and every one of them returned complaining. It's not a question of leveling, simply put the new lights are weaker than those which were factory installed.

Now - whether to believe or not, I let it pass. My thought is it's covered under 3 year/36k warranty. I would rather come and change when at 34th. month or 34k miles. But - that's just my reasoning.

Finally, I was forced to change the passenger side headlight as it was cracked by wrong parking. I had to replace it by buying a new one - OEM. Here's what I see: the passenger side indeed throws light differently - i.e. less than the driver side. Now - are they leveled: yes as I just switched it out. in 2016 its the whole ASSY. So - I think there's something true to what the dealer's stating.

Seems like the best way to test the headlights that were replaced would be to compare them to a cx5 on the dealers lot. Not sure how you would get them to compare it though.

I'm confused though, so can we adjust the headlights or not? I see some posts saying it's just a matter of turning that gear(which way though?) and than others stating it's more complicated than that with the load senor in the rear of the car.

I'm confused though, so can we adjust the headlights or not? I see some posts saying it's just a matter of turning that gear(which way though?) and than others stating it's more complicated than that with the load senor in the rear of the car.
Sure you can raise the LED headlight aim by setting the initial aim higher with adjustment screw mentioned by Kinghardcor above. Panther mentioned in the same thread Raise the headlight on 2016 w Tec & Isense that he did CCW on both sides of headlight adjustment screws to raise the aim. And Kedis82ZE8 posted factory headlight aiming procedure on HIDS with AFS in FSM and AFS on LED headlights in the US shares the same design.

I had the same problem and here's what the dealer said - RECOMMEND you live with it, its not bad. We have no issues replacing it. It'll cost us nothing, Mazda pays. But here's what will happen: your new headlights will throw light less than the factory installed. We have replaced at least 10 of these 2016 till now and each and every one of them returned complaining. It's not a question of leveling, simply put the new lights are weaker than those which were factory installed.

Now - whether to believe or not, I let it pass. My thought is it's covered under 3 year/36k warranty. I would rather come and change when at 34th. month or 34k miles. But - that's just my reasoning.

Finally, I was forced to change the passenger side headlight as it was cracked by wrong parking. I had to replace it by buying a new one - OEM. Here's what I see: the passenger side indeed throws light differently - i.e. less than the driver side. Now - are they leveled: yes as I just switched it out. in 2016 its the whole ASSY. So - I think there's something true to what the dealer's stating.

That is unacceptable in my opinion. My wife drives this car and I will not allow her to drive a vehicle that will only give her 20-30 feet of advanced warning at night.

The brightness seems the same as the original, it's just the throw that needs to be adjusted. Should be an easy fix. I don't think it's the sensor in the back because it worked properly until the lights were replaced. We will see what happens after our visit today.

Sure you can raise the LED headlight aim by setting the initial aim higher with adjustment screw mentioned by Kinghardcor above. Panther mentioned in the same thread Raise the headlight on 2016 w Tec & Isense that he did CCW on both sides of headlight adjustment screws to raise the aim. And Kedis82ZE8 posted factory headlight aiming procedure on HIDS with AFS in FSM and AFS on LED headlights in the US shares the same design.

Okay thanks. Will attempt this tonight! Will post back results. I don't have a wall but my front yard is uphill an i may be able to use the yard.

Hello,

Thank you,

Jason

My wife just returned from the dealership and they were very friendly. They adjusted the lights and showed my wife how to adjust them. Previous posts said to adjust the light by romoving the white cap on the back of the light, that is not the case with the new LED lights. As mentioned in a post in this thread, the elevation adjustment screw is located on the top of the light near the outside of each light. I'll test them tonight and adjust them as necessary.

Welp, adjusting the headlight is extremely easy. But I think my headlights mayyy be off from each other now lol Silly me, noticed two distinct dots imprinted on the silver gear on the passenger side. I turned to one of them thinking they're markers and there for a reason. However, go over to the driver side, and no dots! So at this point, I just have the two white pieces pointing up. May drive over to one of the local stores later and drive around back and shine on the side of the building to try and make sure they're equal.

I was surprised the drive side gear didn't have those two dots. Really thought those were markers of some sort. Anyway, adjusting the headlights are extremely easy and I did see them going up and down. So at this point, just need to figure out how to align them. Guessing if there aren't markers on the gear, just go to a wall so I can see the distinct cutoff line from each side and make sure they align.

EDIT: So, took my cx5 to the nearest store. Everything looked equal as far as the height of both headlights. But I did notice they definitely have a higher throw than before. Road signs are more illuminated, and I could actually see over a hill. Passed probably 10 cars, didn't get flashed so I will continue to monitor.

Upon my assessment at the store, I noticed this weird dip in the headlight beam. I made a quick video describing what I was seeing. Some people will probably think I'm crazy but it was really noticeable when I was assessing the lights. Not sure what I'm actually looking at but it was more the abnormal dip in the light. It was just on that one side too. In the video I kind of explain it. Make sure you watch in HD just for better clarity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X1mp7k3mag

Last edited:
Can you confirm that turning the adjustment screw CCW makes the headlight raising?

Yeah that is true. CCW raises the headlight. Changes are very minor but I could definitely tell while adjusting it. And I notice a difference driving now as well. Just have to do some more night driving to verify I'm not blinding drivers. So far so good though in my brief driving last night.

That is unacceptable in my opinion. My wife drives this car and I will not allow her to drive a vehicle that will only give her 20-30 feet of advanced warning at night.

The brightness seems the same as the original, it's just the throw that needs to be adjusted. Should be an easy fix. I don't think it's the sensor in the back because it worked properly until the lights were replaced. We will see what happens after our visit today.

Well - I really didn't have a problem with THROW, just that the light seemed less!

Back