2017 CX-9 Availability

racerscott

:
2016 CX-9 Signature
I'm currently in negotiations with some local dealers over a 2016 Signature, and I mentioned that I'm content to wait until the 2017 model comes out if we can't agree on price (which is 100% true). One of the salesman gave me with the following information, just be aware that I have no way of verifying if any of it is true:

1. The 2017 CX-9 will most likely be released in December or January.
2. No changes to the Signature trim (that is, no new features added).
3. The Touring trim will come with SCBS (Smart City Brake Support) standard.
4. Prices may increase on all trims.

Last edited:
That would put the GT price closer to the Signature. If you don't mind me asking, what are you trying to get it out the door for?

That would put the GT price closer to the Signature. If you don't mind me asking, what are you trying to get it out the door for?
Note that he said prices across all trims would increase. $43,300, including all dealer/documentation fees but not government fees like taxes, license, registration. Based on what some other forum members said they have paid for the Signature, it seems like a very fair price (maybe even a bit too fair). Fortunately, I can afford to wait 2 or 3 months or longer to get the deal I want, which makes it easy to walk away if I can't.

I was told yesterday by a Mazda salesman that the 2017 model wouldnt be relseaed until middle of 2017 ....I chuckled at the guy and asked him if he really thought Mazda would sell 2016 models in 2017.

I was told yesterday by a Mazda salesman that the 2017 model wouldnt be relseaed until middle of 2017 ....I chuckled at the guy and asked him if he really thought Mazda would sell 2016 models in 2017.
A salesman at another dealer told me the same thing - "2017 models will be out in 6 or 7 months". I had the same reaction as you - I don't believe that the Mazda would do something so foolish as that.

Mazda's model years are one of the few things I don't understand. Buy a '16 CX-5 in the early part of 2015 and then a 2016 CX-9 in the waning period of that model year for everyone else.

Most people don't pay attention to to some of those details but there is a lot of time between January 2015 and May 2016. I realize we aren't talking the same model but some would think car was just as new.

I'm currently in negotiations with some local dealers over a 2016 Signature, and I mentioned that I'm content to wait until the 2017 model comes out if we can't agree on price (which is 100% true). One of the salesman gave me with the following information, just be aware that I have no way of verifying if any of it is true:

1. The 2017 CX-9 will most likely be released in December or January.
2. No changes to the Signature trim (that is, no new features added).
3. The Touring trim will come with SCBS (Smart City Brake Support) standard.
4. Prices may increase on all trims.

Sales people always want customers to buy now, so they would likely provide information to make the customer buy sooner rather than later. I would wait for Mazda's official statement, if there is no hurry to purchase a vehicle.

A salesman at another dealer told me the same thing - "2017 models will be out in 6 or 7 months". I had the same reaction as you - I don't believe that the Mazda would do something so foolish as that.

Salesman wants customer to buy now, not later. So, 2017 models will come out on December 2017. :)

Salesman wants customer to buy now, not later. So, 2017 models will come out on December 2017. :)

This is funny. I believe 2017 model will be available on dec 2016.

I purchased the first cx9 in MX city. The first one. I still don't see another cx9 in this big city. I already had time waiting for this SUV. I really like it since 2015 autoshow and when I see an smaller engine but with turbo.! mmhh.. I just can't wait. At the end we get a big deal (33,000 USD for trimmed GT AWD). Better exterior, interior materials, more fun to drive, power, turbo and Less expensive than bulky Pilot and Pathfinder.

The fact is that the sales people don't really know information about new models much earlier than the info is announced to the public. They can't be trusted to keep information confidential.

like everybody said, i can't imagine 2017s being so late in the model year.... but who knows with these guys. Also your price is dead on.

Any car produced after January 1, 2017 must be a 2017 or later model year vehicle. They could roll out the '2018' a week later, but they can't make new vehicles and call them by the previous calendar year.

I personally always talk a car dealers words with a grain of salt. Like others have said, wait it out and get a better deal if you can. BTW the CX-9s are super cool so you'll love it when it does arrive!

I personally always talk a car dealers words with a grain of salt. Like others have said, wait it out and get a better deal if you can. BTW the CX-9s are super cool so you'll love it when it does arrive!

Fortunately, I don't have to wait anymore. A machine-grey Signature is sitting in my driveway right now. The folks at Mazda of Everett were great, particularly Sheldon Mease (Internet Sales Manager). I can't say the same about some other dealers who are actually closer to where I live....

I waited 3 months to get my CX-9 GT in white. The last one available in Canada. I snagged the white one the dealership ceo was going to get. lol

Any car produced after January 1, 2017 must be a 2017 or later model year vehicle.
Says who? Case in point--the '16 CX-9 didn't come out until late May/early June. Mazda was still selling '15s up until that point. Were there on CX-9s on the lots in April/May before the'16s came out? I don't see how Mazda could have produced every '15 prior to 12/31/15, and kept selling them for 5+ months.

Says who? Case in point--the '16 CX-9 didn't come out until late May/early June. Mazda was still selling '15s up until that point. Were there on CX-9s on the lots in April/May before the'16s came out? I don't see how Mazda could have produced every '15 prior to 12/31/15, and kept selling them for 5+ months.

Says 42 USC 7521(b)(3)(A), 26 USC 4064(b)(4), and 49 USC 32901(a)(15). They all contain pretty much the same verbiage, and they all state:

The term model year with reference to any specific calendar year means the manufacturers annual production period (as determined by the Administrator) which includes January 1 of such calendar year. If the manufacturer has no annual production period, the term model year shall mean the calendar year.

There is a provision in 42 USC 7521 that basically says that the government has the discretion to allow a manufacturer to deviate from Code, but those instances are few and far between. I don't see Mazda being allowed to deviate for two sequential model years, just to smooth out their marketing cycle.

Says 42 USC 7521(b)(3)(A), 26 USC 4064(b)(4), and 49 USC 32901(a)(15). They all contain pretty much the same verbiage, and they all state:

There is a provision in 42 USC 7521 that basically says that the government has the discretion to allow a manufacturer to deviate from Code, but those instances are few and far between. I don't see Mazda being allowed to deviate for two sequential model years, just to smooth out their marketing cycle.

These are for compliance purposes, so a manufacturer can't get around having to implement features, or get around reporting requirements, by continually referring to a model as a prior model year. So--if all car companies must include a back up camera as standard for MY '18, companies can't skirt compliance by just saying "Well, this is '17." I don't think this has to do with marketing and advertising. Whatever the car company calls it, 1/1 is the date that compliance must occur.

Back