HELP! Rear spring/strut noise after strut mount replacement

:
2003 Protege5
I've done some searching and found info on lots of things, but none for my specific problem I don't think. If it is out there please direct me there and I apologize for the inconvenience. Anyway....

In my 03 P5....up until about a week ago my suspension and steering systems operated silently over all surfaces. I started to develop a squeak when my rear strut mount began failing and it finally punched through due to rust yesterday. I pulled my strut out mounted the new strut mount and reassembled. The only thing I can think of to note is that when I inserted the strut the base was maybe 30 degrees off, so I just rotated it and finished the install. Now I have a mild clunking sound when going over small bumps like cracks in the pavement. Its quiet on the highway. To me it sounds like my springs my be pulling away and then reseating themselves on the rubber because it is a mild, almost muffled clunk, but noticeable. Please let me know any thoughts you have. Below is a pic of my rusted out strut mount just for fun...
ee3fe17a7451a17a8fd06dbf9e8816b6.jpg

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I've done some searching and found info on lots of things, but none for my specific problem I don't think. If it is out there please direct me there and I apologize for the inconvenience. Anyway.... In my 03 P5....up until about a week ago my suspension and steering systems operated silently over all surfaces. I started to develop a squeak when my rear strut mount began failing and it finally punched through due to rust yesterday. I pulled my strut out mounted the new strut mount and reassembled. The only thing I can think of to note is that when I inserted the strut the base was maybe 30 degrees off, so I just rotated it and finished the install. Now I have a mild clunking sound when going over small bumps like cracks in the pavement. Its quiet on the highway. To me it sounds like my springs my be pulling away and then reseating themselves on the rubber because it is a mild, almost muffled clunk, but noticeable. Please let me know any thoughts you have. Below is a pic of my rusted out strut mount just for fun...
ee3fe17a7451a17a8fd06dbf9e8816b6.jpg
Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
I am having the exact same problem. I would suggest maybe checking the bolt for the center of the strut is fully bolted down. I get the same noise on on roads that are gravel or uneven but sounds normal during regular highway speeds. I've been going crazy trying to find the issue and have replaced almost all of my suspension trying to find the gremlin. Did you mount the retaining nut correctly? I once put it accidently upside down lol

I had the same problem after installing lowering springs, on the rear I had to hold the washer that goes on top of the strut mount under the nut with pliers or vice grips and tighten the nut really tight. Noise went away after I did that and hasn't come back.

after new struts I had the same clunk. My problem was I didn't tighten my swaybar end links all the way. Its worth giving them a second look. easier to access than the strut mount too.

Back