2016 CX-9 Rear Sway Bar upgrade

:
2015 Mazda 3
I installed a Cork Sport rear sway bar on my 2015 Mazda 3 and it made a big difference. I want to do the same on my 2016 CX-9 Sig. But I can't seem to find anyone who sells a thicker rear sway bar for the new CX-9. Anyone know if there is one available? Would also like to add a front shock tower strut bar if one is available as well. Thanks.

I've installed rear sway bars on other cars, but I find the handling of the new CX-9 to be very good as is. I won't change anything.

With the CX sharing the same platform with the Mazda6, there might be a chance the Corksport rear bar for the 6 would fit the CX. Total speculation though...

Well, since you got me wondering.... The part number for the CX9 rear sway bar (FWD) is the same as the Mazda6. Meaning, the corksport rear bar should work. One thing of interest too: the rear bar for the AWD CX is a different part number, but appears to be the same shape as the other. Being a different part number, its probably a larger diameter bar (could'nt verify though) which might be a cheap upgrade for FWD versions.

FWD rear bar: KD3128151
AWD rear bar: KD3528151

Are you trying to stiffen up the ride?

From my understanding a roll bar won't stiffen the ride (if properly adjusted) but will make it have less body roll in turns. They tend to reduce understeer but there are downsides in some cases in handling characteristics on some vehicles.

A thicker sway bar does in some circumstances stiffen the ride. It limits one wheel going up while the other goes down (this is exactly the same as limiting body roll, just from a different point of view). If you drive over a speed bump, for example, where both wheels move the same, the sway bar makes no difference. If you hit a pothole on one side, the bar does make the ride more harsh.

Changing only one sway bar absolutely changes the car's handling. A stiffer rear bar reduces understeer...or causes oversteer. Just the opposite if only the front bar is stiffened.

Not being a dick but for a big vehicle the cx-9 handles really well for what it is, and you might be falling into a money pit. Should've brought a used speed if that was the case something mod friendly.

Back