Advice on picking a used Mazda3

smetzger

03 P5 (x2), 09 Miata, 07 Mazda3, 13 Fit, 09 Ody
I am looking to possibly buy a used Mazda3.

1. What years/trims had ABS?

2. What 'problems' should I be on the lookout for?

Thanks,

some tips

I am looking to possibly buy a used Mazda3.

1. What years/trims had ABS?

2. What 'problems' should I be on the lookout for?

Thanks,

1. You might want to search for that answer.
2. I first conduct a phone interview with the owner. Here are some questions you should ask:
a) How often were the oil, oil filter, air intake/cabin filters, coolant changed?
. b) Do you have a maintenance diary and/or receipts of the parts and/or work done?
. c) What other parts were replaced? Why?
. d) Were there any accidents? If so, what was repaired and/or painted? Do you have the title? Is it a salvage or reconditioned title? Was the car ever flooded?

Many salvaged vehicles have been professionally repaired and represent good buys if you intend to keep the vehicle for awhile. The paint is often a bit sloppy but a third party auto body shop can evaluate the work for a small fee or even at no charge. Insurance companies often do insure salvage vehicles at 50-60% of the same "clean title" vehicle.
If you are not mechanically inclined, have a dealership or other (trusted) shop inspect the vehicle.
If your state requires the vehicle to be smogged, make sure the owner knows that the sale is contingent upon their having the vehicle smogged with no issues.

why the guy above suggested you buy a salvage car (which i would never suggest) is beyond me as that means it could have many many issues that have been "fixed" i will inform you a little more on some mazda 3 relevant info one the 04-12s (before skyactive) all have passenger motor mount issues, literally all of them i have looked at and the 2 i have owned have bad mounts, just a bad ford part on the car, lucky its $50 or less on the aftermarket most places offer lifetime warranties on it and it takes about 15 minutes to change (its easy to tell if the one you look at is bad) the mount is right below the coolant tank on the passenger side signs its bad are ripped rubber on the mount, leaking hydraulic oil around that area and vibrations that come from the passenger side while driving. if your looking at an automatic check the condition and smell of the fluid as they are a little rough on the fluids other than that not a whole lot of issues with mine that were not mileage or wear and tear related. on older ones to 09 the basic i trims dont come with abs but the upper i is at least optional and the s trim it is standard from 10 up it should be standard on all of them. but as above suggested always have a shop you trust inspect the car before buying it, i passed on one i loved because the rear end was rustier than a russian shipwreck. always inspect the fluids and conditions of such, make sure all electrics work as they should check that the tires are in good shape when at the shop they should inspect the cv axles, tie rods, ball joints etc and always drive the car kinda hard and at highway speed before buying to feel for any issues.

why the guy above suggested you buy a salvage car (which i would never suggest) is beyond me as that means it could have many many issues that have been "fixed".

How much research into salvaged vehicles have you done, and how many have you owned? My MX5 has a salvage title, yet the only issue it has had in more than three years of ownership was a worn wheel bearing. Considering I saved $8000 over a non-salvaged MX5 PRHT, I'd say my research payed off well.
What research did I do? First, I contacted an auto body tech with over 30 years of experience repairing, buying, and selling salvage vehicles. I sent him "before" and "after" photos of the MX5. I had an alignment shop look at the suspension repair work, before having it upgraded.
Next, I checked for leaks from water intrusion. I was not looking for a cosmetically perfect car, but had to be mechanically sound and yet look good from 10 feet away.

There are many salvaged vehicles out there that can save you 40% - 50%. This can allow you to buy a newer used car with more amenities than would be possible if you bought only a "clean title" car. Does it take a little more work on your part? Yes, treat it like a project and the rewards could be significant.

Now, if you are the type of person who buys and sells cars every 3 years, then the length of selling time will be greater. I'm just throwing out this option as one I took to buy a car that I was not originally going to afford at the time.

To the OP, good luck with your search. Prepare a list of questions and conduct a phone interview first.

How much research into salvaged vehicles have you done, and how many have you owned? My MX5 has a salvage title, yet the only issue it has had in more than three years of ownership was a worn wheel bearing. Considering I saved $8000 over a non-salvaged MX5 PRHT, I'd say my research payed off well.
What research did I do? First, I contacted an auto body tech with over 30 years of experience repairing, buying, and selling salvage vehicles. I sent him "before" and "after" photos of the MX5. I had an alignment shop look at the suspension repair work, before having it upgraded.
Next, I checked for leaks from water intrusion. I was not looking for a cosmetically perfect car, but had to be mechanically sound and yet look good from 10 feet away.

There are many salvaged vehicles out there that can save you 40% - 50%. This can allow you to buy a newer used car with more amenities than would be possible if you bought only a "clean title" car. Does it take a little more work on your part? Yes, treat it like a project and the rewards could be significant.

Now, if you are the type of person who buys and sells cars every 3 years, then the length of selling time will be greater. I'm just throwing out this option as one I took to buy a car that I was not originally going to afford at the time.

To the OP, good luck with your search. Prepare a list of questions and conduct a phone interview first.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/kauf...er-of-huge-auto-fraud-investigation/319510193 watch this article this is why you really need to be careful with buying used cars and especially salvage or rebuilt titles. these stories are everywhere, this is one that happened this week. not saying you cant get a good car with a salvage title just saying you have to be extremely careful and really know what you are looking at and looking for in a salvage title car. the OP does not appear to have the prior knowledge needed to properly find a good salvage car and not get taken on the deal, which is why i suggest people in this persons situation without people like you and me whom have experience with buying used and salvaged cars to help just straight avoid salvage and rebuilt titles as it makes it a lot less hassle and headache for them.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/kauf...er-of-huge-auto-fraud-investigation/319510193 watch this article this is why you really need to be careful with buying used cars and especially salvage or rebuilt titles. these stories are everywhere, this is one that happened this week. not saying you cant get a good car with a salvage title just saying you have to be extremely careful and really know what you are looking at and looking for in a salvage title car. the OP does not appear to have the prior knowledge needed to properly find a good salvage car and not get taken on the deal, which is why i suggest people in this persons situation without people like you and me whom have experience with buying used and salvaged cars to help just straight avoid salvage and rebuilt titles as it makes it a lot less hassle and headache for them.

Honestly, I had little prior knowledge about what to look for when accessing salvage vehicles, before buying my MX5. That's why I offered advice on how one can minimize issues before the sale. You don't have to be a backyard mechanic as long as you do have the experts take a first-hand look at the vehicle.

Let's face it, we can use your argument to advise folks to avoid buying any used vehicle. After all buying new with a 3-year warranty is always "safer" than buying used. The rule of thumb is: The newer the car, the shorter the "research/analysis" procedure. Often, salvage vehicles are so new that maintenance research is not required. Proper and safe repair research, then is most important. However, the rewards can easily justify the means.

I picked up an 07 sedan Thursday with 113k miles. Crossing my fingers that the MD inspection doesn't find anything major.

In my experience, most of the vehicles are being sold by a dealer or a guy who has a dealer license and buys and sells out of his house. So, very difficult to find one with maintenance records.

I picked up an 07 sedan Thursday with 113k miles. Crossing my fingers that the MD inspection doesn't find anything major.

In my experience, most of the vehicles are being sold by a dealer or a guy who has a dealer license and buys and sells out of his house. So, very difficult to find one with maintenance records.

very true, but worth it when you find one

very true, but worth it when you find one
Some dealerships have records if the used car they are selling was serviced there. Many folks in eastern or mid-US will fly down to California or Arizona to buy vehicles, and then drive them home. There seem to be a much larger selection on the west coast, in particular.

Some dealerships have records if the used car they are selling was serviced there. Many folks in eastern or mid-US will fly down to California or Arizona to buy vehicles, and then drive them home. There seem to be a much larger selection on the west coast, in particular.

Yes, it is a lot easier to find a vehicle here in CA / AZ without all of the salt corrosion, rust damage, hail damage, flood damage.

OR / WA are also good areas if you want something less sunbaked...

Buying a salvaged car means harder to sell, harder to insure, and in some cases if you are in a claim against an insurance company, harder to get a fair payout.

Back