Recommendation for winter wheel size

OldHorse66

:
2016 CX-9 GT AWD
2016 CX-9 GT AWD, want to get a set of winter tires and wheels

Thinking about this combo and size:
Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 255/60R18
O.Z. Omnia 18x8 Offset=45mm

Curious what winter tires and wheel sizes other '16 CX-9 owners choose?

Thanks.

Curious why you'd go with the 255/60R18 when the right size is available for twelve bucks less per tire?

- edit -

Huh... didn't realize that Mazda changed the width of the 18" tire option.

Last edited:
Any tire with the correct outside diameter and load capacity (not too wide, etc) will be OK. The 20" Ziex CT50 A/S has an O.D. of 30.1" I think a variation of no more than 2% is OK. The load index is 104.

255/50-20, 255/55-19, 255/60-18, and 255/65-17 should all work well. I'm glad the myth of a narrower tire offering better grip in snow has been put to rest. The tire contact patch is the same regardless of width if the inflation pressure and load are the same. Continental says, http://www.continental-tires.com/car/technology/wide-tires

The Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 tends to be a heavy tire. I like the V1 a lot on my pickup truck. The Michelin Latitude X-Ice Xi2 and the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV are both lighter weight and also excellent in winter. The heavier rotating weight is harder to get turning and harder to get stopped, as well as causing more inertia in the suspension for a less-smooth ride.

I'm thinking of the Nokians on a set of Sorento wheels I have, 17x7, 5x114.3 bolt circle, 48 mm offset, 67.1 mm center bore. They fit without interference. I found one web site that lists the CX9 offset as 45 mm. 7" is the minimum allowable wheel width for 255 tires.

I'm surprised the RX8 wheels have that much offset. I think they'd be OK on the CX9, but it is always good to do a trial fit to check for interferences.

Last edited:
Reducing the wheel size, and maintaining the same outside diameter of the tire by using a tire with a greater aspect ratio, mainly gives a better ride over rough pot holes, frost heaves, frozen ridges of poorly plowed snow, etc., and less chance of tire or wheel damage. If the roads are smooth enough, there is no real reason to do so. Sticking with 20" is mainly an esthetic decision. Those are very good looking wheels...US$190 each.

Curiously, the owner's manual says to not use even low profile tire chains on the 20" wheels, which are standard on the Grand Touring (GT in Canada) and Signature models. I don't know why chains on the 18" wheels with their 255/60-18 tires and the same O.D. as the 255/50-20 tires makes any difference.

Since you are in Quebec, I would assume you know more about snow driving than I do

Can you tell me why you choose to stay with 20" wheels, instead of downsizing like most recommend?

I did consider downsizing to 18" wheels and narrower tires. But I didn't want to compromise the handling to much and the look also.

I used to drive a VW GTI (modified with 280hp and 325lb/ft) with the same winter tire width 225 and never add any problems. But I used 17" instead of 18" to get a little bit more sidewall to protect the wheels from potholes impact.

The CX-9 with proper winter tires should be a very good winter car.

If you want winter tires and do not want to invest a lot of money. I recommend the Minerva Eco Stud SUV in 18" they are cheap and work really well on ice and snow (they are also studdable). I had this on my GTI last winter, I needed tires but didn't want to spend too much since It was my last winter with the car. The Minerva really surprised me were on par with the General Altimax Arctic I had the previous years.

I have a local kid here selling his stock RX-8 wheels...I'll have to go test fit these, and report back.
I haven't been able to find any info online, as to this working or not.

I have a local kid here selling his stock RX-8 wheels...I'll have to go test fit these, and report back.
I haven't been able to find any info online, as to this working or not. Could RX-8 wheels be used?18X8, +50 offset, from what I read.

According to Mazda Canada, offset should be between +35-45..... at +50 you might be getting close to the strut/brake.... test fit and tell

I'm going with
19x9.5
5X114.3
+45 Offset
73.1 CB..... added centering rings to fir 67.1 CB

255-55-19 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 (clearance priced).....I know the DM-V2 are newer versions, but for the price I couldn't pass up

I'm going with
19x9.5
5X114.3
+45 Offset
73.1 CB..... added centering rings to fir 67.1 CB

255-55-19 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 (clearance priced).....I know the DM-V2 are newer versions, but for the price I couldn't pass up

Can you share pricing? I haven't shopped packages yet, but would like to understand what kind of deal to look for.

Can you share pricing? I haven't shopped packages yet, but would like to understand what kind of deal to look for.

I found a nice set of new wheels on Kijiji leading me to a tireshop - $140+tax each ..... typically I have seen $200+tax each for 18's or 19's

The tires I ordered from http://www.greenleaftire.ca/weekly-specials.html.... good price for the DM-V1 Blizzak - $188+tax each

Thanks for all your feedback. I end up getting the 18"wheel and tire combo from tirerack.

Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 255/60R18
Sparco Corsa Black Painted 18x8 Offset=45mm

I will report back in a month or two after I have a chance to put on some snow miles.

Last edited:
The best tires/wheels packages for winter driving would be 17'' steel rims or mags wheels with either 245/70R17 .5'' higher or 245/65R17 .5'' down. Both of them are approve for you truck. We are adding tires and wheels package on our website soon. You can check in 1 week if you are in Canada.

Peter
www.4tires.ca
Online tires and wheels Canada

The best tires/wheels packages for winter driving would be 17'' steel rims or mags wheels with either 245/70R17 .5'' higher or 245/65R17 .5'' down. Both of them are approve for you truck.

Peter
www.4tires.ca
Online tires and wheels Canada

Why? Why not 255/65-17, or 255/60-18, or 255/55-19, or 255/50-20?
I think we've debunked the old myth that narrower tires bite the snow better. The contact patch for the same weight and same inflation pressure will be about the same regardless of tire width. One contact patch will be wider & shorter, the other narrower & longer, but about the same contact area. Continental Tires says that the wider snow tires offer more sipe edges to grip the snow.

Why? Why not 255/65-17, or 255/60-18, or 255/55-19, or 255/50-20?

PTguy is correct...if you do a calculation all those tire sizes he states match the stock tire diameters perfectly...going 245/70R17 or 245/65R17 makes no sense

All that said...now we get down to real-world.

I have 17" wheels that fit the car. 255/65-17 would be my size choice. Michelin has discontinued the Latitude Xice Xi-2. Nokian Hakka R2 SUV are about $40-$50 more per tire. Bridgestone doesn't make a Blizzak in this size. I haven't seen another winter tire as good as these three. (And, I think we all agree, the least effective winter tire is far superior to the best so-called All Season tire.)

So...Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 245/65-17 will be the ones I get. These are about a 1/2" less O.D. than original, but that gives room for tire chains if conditions are so dire that chains are required. 245/70-17 will be about 1/2" greater O.D. than original, and there might not be clearance, certainly no room for chains. Actual tire sizes are kind'a...rubbery. The actual size can vary for the same published size depending on the manufacturer and the model. They all should work fine, except when trying a non-standard size that ought'a fit, sometimes something rubs.

I've been told that varying tire O.D. by 2% is no problem. For 30" outside diameter tires, that means a 0.6" O.D. allowable variance. The 245/65 meet this requirement.

Last edited:
Back