03 MSP got de-turboed. Looking to restore it to it's former glory.

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
What's up guys and good morning. Just bought myself a nice 03 MSP that has been through two engine rebuilds (paperwork proved it) and the last one the old owner took off the turbo (HOW DARE THEY DAMMIT!). So yea.

Looking to restore it back to it's old self so I can go have some boosted fun with it. Now what I would like learn is what I would need to replace or add in the base 2.0 engine to have it running safely or maybe close to OEM as possible. I can shop around the market here and get a full OEM Turbo kit of it, but what else would I need? It currently still has it's factory suspension, exhaust, and tranny setup (LSD FTW!).

I'll do some more research, but figured this is a good place to start learning about these Proteges. Like what are some differences in the base 2.0 and the 2.0T besides turbo (durr) and lower compression pistons? Fuel Injectors? Fuel pump? Ecu? Wiring harness? Yea stuff like that.

...basically an engine swap you could say, but it was turboed before. So it shouldn't be that complicated to re-turbo it right?

You need Engine harness for the MSP ( obviously turbo wire harness), MSP ECU, and the OEM Turbo kit. You should be good to go from there. I'd recommend getting at least a piggy back ECU to manage the known issues and give yourself extra 30 hp.

Thanks Funk. I actually still have the original MSP harness in there. It' just been modified for the downgrade. So I gotta find out what they did to it. ECU and Piggyback sounds pretty much what I thought. Should I worry about the piston's compression ratio? Or are they basically the same with the regular 2.0 and 2.0T?

I'm surprise it not throwing codes unless it has a N/A ECU. Especially if it's trying to read boost...

The compression should be the same, so need to worry about that.

Hopefully some of the other OG can chime in. I've been out of the game for a bit.

same compression on the NA/T motors...

i have a msp ecu if you do not.

all you'll need to re-turbo it is the kit itself(manifold/turbo/(hopefully it has the msp windage tray) and oil cooler, SMIC or FMIC(aftermarket), downpipe/exhaust.) MAF is the same as stock NA. should be good.

The engine harness is the same on the MSP and regular 5 speed proteges except for the cruise control connector. It won't throw a code if it still has the MSP ecu, it will just run rich. You can remove the ECU and see which one is in it. The MSP ECU actually says MSP on it. As mentioned the motors are the exact same, compression ratio, cams, everything. Except the MBSP (upper oil pan) has a return fitting for the turbo oil drain. The oil feed line and coolant lines bolt on to the block. Injectors and fuel pump are the same. Shouldn't be difficult to install the turbo, especially if it still has the stock MBSP.

Back