Hoping to join the Mazda2 Family!

Aubbie

:
2012 Mazda 2
I've had my Jeep Grand Cherokee for over a decade now, but I'm starting to get very tired of the maintenance cost and the poor gas mileage (I average about 15mpg with my daily commute). Recently I got to drive a 2016 CX-5 and was absolutely blown away, but I no longer need the space of an SUV. They also had a 2 on the lot, which I also got to test drive. I don't think I've ever had that much fun in a car, arguably more fun than my friends Golf. So now I'm pretty dead set on the 2, and have a couple of questions.

Is there much of a difference between the 2012-2014 models? The sport trim is the same internally as the touring model except that it lacks fog lights, cruise control, and steering wheel audio controls right? I just recently moved to the New England area from California, and have never driven in snow or ice before (have gone mudding though, not sure if that is similar), Is the 2 going to fare well in snow and ice?

I'm planning on trading in my Jeep and paying the difference in cash, I've heard that trading in is the worst way to go, but I just don't have time to try and sell it privately. This will be my first real car buying experience, (bought the jeep off my dad back in high-school) hopefully it goes smoothly. Thanks for having me aboard!

I've had my Jeep Grand Cherokee for over a decade now, but I'm starting to get very tired of the maintenance cost and the poor gas mileage (I average about 15mpg with my daily commute). Recently I got to drive a 2016 CX-5 and was absolutely blown away, but I no longer need the space of an SUV. They also had a 2 on the lot, which I also got to test drive. I don't think I've ever had that much fun in a car, arguably more fun than my friends Golf. So now I'm pretty dead set on the 2, and have a couple of questions.

The 2 is a blast. Almost as fun as the MINI's I've owned, and gets GREAT mpg - way better than advertised. Very comfy seats for the class too.

Is there much of a difference between the 2012-2014 models? The sport trim is the same internally as the touring model except that it lacks fog lights, cruise control, and steering wheel audio controls right? I just recently moved to the New England area from California, and have never driven in snow or ice before (have gone mudding though, not sure if that is similar), Is the 2 going to fare well in snow and ice?

The difference in the 2011-2014 models is I believe in 2012 they acquired a USB hookup (so you can control your iphone/ipod through radio), though they all come with AUX. Correct on the sport vs. touring. Snow tires and you'll be fine. It comes with traction control and dynamic stability control. You should be OK w/ snow tires.

I'm planning on trading in my Jeep and paying the difference in cash, I've heard that trading in is the worst way to go, but I just don't have time to try and sell it privately. This will be my first real car buying experience, (bought the jeep off my dad back in high-school) hopefully it goes smoothly. Thanks for having me aboard!

Check to see whether they discount the trade in from the taxed amount (i.e. you are only taxed on the difference between your trade-in and purchase price). Get it appraised at carmax.

I second everything above.

Also snow tires make these little cars amazing in snow. I still have a set of ContiExtremeWinterContacts on stock steel wheels w/ sensors from when I lived in Ohio, but in VA Beach they're not really needed... Ha. If you're interested in them feel free to PM me.

I commute 85mi daily, when I was closer to stock(intake, tune, and not on sticky 200TW tires), I averaged 36-39mpg all highway at 60-70mph very regularly hand calculated filling up at the same place every time.

I get more like 32-34 now.

2013 was when the aux audio port was added. That also may have been when production moved from japan to mexico.

2013 was when the aux audio port was added. That also may have been when production moved from japan to mexico.

2013 was when they added a USB port to the factory stereo, the analog aux in was on all models. And AFAIK all of the Mazda2's sold in the US were produced in Japan, I think it was sometime around 2015 when the Mexico plant came online.

I got a pretty decent deal on my jeep at the dealership, and got a 2012 liquid silver mazda 2. I'm so impressed with the gas mileage of this car, I'm ordering an OBD2 module to check that. I love being to absolutely rip through corners, though part of me wishes that I got a manual (I got an auto because driving stick in bumper to bumper traffic is a chore). I didn't notice that I bought the car with a missing antenna, doesn't seem to affect anything though. I generally use Spotify anyways, so I'm not too bummed about it.

Is there a way to view tire pressure from the TPMS? I do miss having the dash computer from my jeep and seeing MPG, range, and tire pressure. I know there's external TPMS sensors, but that seems redundant.

I got a pretty decent deal on my jeep at the dealership, and got a 2012 liquid silver mazda 2. I'm so impressed with the gas mileage of this car, I'm ordering an OBD2 module to check that. I love being to absolutely rip through corners, though part of me wishes that I got a manual (I got an auto because driving stick in bumper to bumper traffic is a chore). I didn't notice that I bought the car with a missing antenna, doesn't seem to affect anything though. I generally use Spotify anyways, so I'm not too bummed about it.

Is there a way to view tire pressure from the TPMS? I do miss having the dash computer from my jeep and seeing MPG, range, and tire pressure. I know there's external TPMS sensors, but that seems redundant.

Welcome to the club! Wailing on these cars in day to day driving is so much fun. My best mpg was 42 (in town, under 60 mph), but that was just one tank since that kind of driving is no fun. I haven't seen anything about seeing the actual tire pressure readouts using the existing sensors, though that would be useful.

Back