Hard Clunk while backing

Ski Man Ski

:
2015 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring
I have a 2015 CX-9 with 18,000 miles that has started to have a hard clunk while backing that feels like it is associated with some part of the transmission, and it happens while moving. It almost feels like I hit something when it goes clunk. I took it to the local dealer and they are saying they can not hear anything. I am going to have to go back there this afternoon to see if I can replicate it for them. This happens when it is cold and warm and only while backing? Has anyone else had a similar problem? Would love to hear your thoughts.

I have a 2015 CX-9 with 18,000 miles that has started to have a hard clunk while backing that feels like it is associated with some part of the transmission, and it happens while moving. It almost feels like I hit something when it goes clunk. I took it to the local dealer and they are saying they can not hear anything. I am going to have to go back there this afternoon to see if I can replicate it for them. This happens when it is cold and warm and only while backing? Has anyone else had a similar problem? Would love to hear your thoughts.

yep, same as mine, it felt like someone rear ended me, my happened also when new like 8,000 miles. Dealer couldn't replicate also, seems to happen when I'm on a slight hill. Now I pause between shifts, seems to work.

see here : http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123856350-Hard-Gear-shaft-when-car-is-on-slanted-surface

do you have AWD ? I recommend changing the inferior OEM oil out asap:
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123847373-Changing-CX-9-transfer-case-gear-oil-%28photos%29

Last edited:
Have the same problem also had that on my previous vehicle. It is the parking pawl. Use your parking brake and pause between shifts also that helps a lot.

As a rule (for all Audible or Kinetic/kinesthetic based faults), I never allow the dealer to inspect my vehicle for the purpose of replicating faults without putting their mechanic/technician in the vehicle with me, where I replicate with ascent from that same mechanic/technician, first. After they give their ascent that they heard or felt the fault, I then allow them to replicate from the driver's seat in my presence. After that, I can exist the vehicle and allow them to do their work. For fault items that are not either Audible or Kinetic/kinesthetic (meaning you cannot hear or feel/sense through motion the fault) - like for example the fault of an engine failing to produce specified power or torque beyond a certain RPM, I make sure I get tertiary confirmation in print before approaching the dealer for repairs. So, in that case, a Dyno Report clearly showing a sudden loss of horsepower above a certain RPM would suffice - where that loss of horsepower would never show itself below that same RPM - thus causing the dealer to not be able to replicate.

Moral: never take a vehicle to dealer if you don't absolutely have to and if you do absolutely have to, never take a vehicle to any dealer for repairs without being able to clearly demonstrate the possible fault - either empirically through a tertiary source or physically with replication.

Based on your reported symptoms, there is a broad range of possible culprits. Not being familiar with the old CX-9 design, I cannot help there. But, hopefully, the method of approaching a dealer with faults that I use is somewhat helpful.

Back