Brake cleaning and lube necessary at 30K?

Morf

:
2014 Mazda 5 Sport
Hi everyone,

My 2014 Mazda 5 Sport is due for its 30K service and the dealer advocates cleaning and lubing the brake calipers, slider pins, etc. as part of it, to prevent uneven wear. Has anyone else had this done? Is it standard operating procedure, or just a way to pad the dealer's bottom line? Thanks.

Unnecessary. If you really want it done, do it yourself. Read my How-to Guide on changing the brakes. If you have a jack, a couple sockets and a torque wrench, and some caliper grease, you can do it yourself.

Easy to do, probably would take a tech 10 - 15 minutes so if you don't want to get your hands dirty and they charge 15 minutes time, go for it.
If you don't mind getting hand dirty, it is an easy step. Remove 8 pins, put grease, put pins back. (fronts)
I have not done rears yet.

Hi everyone,

My 2014 Mazda 5 Sport is due for its 30K service and the dealer advocates cleaning and lubing the brake calipers, slider pins, etc. as part of it, to prevent uneven wear. Has anyone else had this done? Is it standard operating procedure, or just a way to pad the dealer's bottom line? Thanks.

If you drive your car in a lot of salt in the winter, this could keep your brake calibers from seizing up and causing premature wear on your pads. If the pads are due for replacement, they should do it at the same time, so you shouldn't have to pay twice.

In the rust belt, not only should the slider pins be pulled, cleaned and lubed, but the pads should be removed and the mounting locations should be cleaned of rust build up and lubricated as well. If this isn't done then eventually the pads will "stick" to the caliper bracket which can cause them to either drag or not apply fully. If the OP is handy then sure, do it yourself. It isnt very hard at all but here in Ohio it is a service that should be done.

Latest posts

Back