Fitting Aftermarket LED Light to 2016.5 CX-5 - Canbus or not

kiln

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 2.0L Dynamic Skyactive
Hi all, I would like to fit these: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Runstreet-TM-9600lm-9005-HB3-Xenon-White-6000K-LED-Car-Automotive-Headlight-Lamp-Kit-Cree-XHP/32439005234.html on the high beams.
Question that I have is: Are the CX-5 vehicles required to have Canbus enabled lights or can I just fit them in place of the OEM globes, sort of "plug and play"? In other words after fitment will the vehicle not report a lower value voltage to the ECU and disable the vehicle from being started and driven?

For high-beam/DRL, you should have no problem to use an HB3/9005 equivalent LED. The different resistance between incandescent halogen bulb and LED will not cause your ECU disabling your car engine. But the beam pattern may not be ideal as the high-beam reflector is not designed for a LED light source. And dim DRL function with OEM halogen bulb may not work with your equivalent LED. More issues from different resistance are on turn signals where higher resistance on LEDs causing hyper-flashing.

Last edited:
Just ordered some LED Fog Lights from Xenon Depot and HID's for the low beams. They work amazingly well in the wife's 4Runner, however I do not have any experience with them in the high beams. The HID's in the lows are so much brighter than stockers you really don't need high beams on ever(especially with quality LED fogs). I also took the DRL fuse out of my CX-5 and am much happier! Hate DRL. 20% off site-wide and free shipping. Xenon Depot is great to work with-very knowledgeable and great customer service.

HID's(ordered mine with the Phillips 4300k bulbs) http://www.xenondepot.com/H11-HID-Kit-Xtreme-HID-p/xt-h11.htm
LED Fogs http://www.xenondepot.com/h11-h8-h16-philips-Ultinon-LED-Bulb-p/12834unix2-h11.htm

Doesn't the car lower the voltage going to the high beams for DRL function? I'm not sure how those LED's would react to a lower voltage level. Or does it do it through changing the resistance somehow?

Doesn't the car lower the voltage going to the high beams for DRL function? I'm not sure how those LED's would react to a lower voltage level. Or does it do it through changing the resistance somehow?
Yeah the supplied voltage is lowered to incandescent halogen high-beam bulb to make it dim as the DRL. Depending on circuitry designed, only the LED manufactures know how their LED would behave when the supplied voltage is getting lower.

Thank you for everyones input.
Fortunately or unfortunately my model does not have the DRL function because it is the "Dynamic", the SA version of the 2.0L Sport. The light system is not Canbus enabled and therefore fitment was a simple "Plug & Play" exercise. The 9005 Runstreet R3 Led's is much brighter than the stock OEM filament globes in that it gives 6000K white light beam that help to identify critters and wildlife whilst driving t night. Heat dissipation is also fanless with copper bands and it does it very effectively.
I am also waiting for 2x sets of H11 LED lights, and it will be a long wait as it usually takes about 60 days for delivery.

H11 R3 LED's fitted to the Projector low beam housings. Works perfectly and the white 6000K light makes a huge difference in the dark!! Highly recommended.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the voltage on the halogen highbeam/DRL's drop down to? I ask, as i want to make sure that a standard 12 volt car relay will be triggered by the DRL's less than 12 volts when the highbeam/drl's are turned on. Whats the trigger voltage for standard auto relay?

I hate DRL, so I just unplugged the fuse. Best thing Mazda did was make it very simple to get rid of the DRL.

I hate DRL, so I just unplugged the fuse. Best thing Mazda did was make it very simple to get rid of the DRL.

Here in US my insurer will provide discount if you have features like DRL / Backup camera etc. Cool.

I like the DRL. I do wish it was its own, separate bulb/circuit so I had more options for upgrading the bulb, but I like the feature.

Any Ideas on what the reduced DRL voltage is?

I like the DRL. I do wish it was its own, separate bulb/circuit so I had more options for upgrading the bulb, but I like the feature.

Cx5 uses one bulb for drl and highbeam. For drl its run at reduced voltage.

You could try unplugging the fuse as I did and then try the HID's or LED's and see if they work like intended. The DRL is on a separate fuse so everything else works as intended. The bright lights work, the parking lights work. Just no DRL.

You could try unplugging the fuse as I did and then try the HID's or LED's and see if they work like intended. The DRL is on a separate fuse so everything else works as intended. The bright lights work, the parking lights work. Just no DRL.

Thank you for the suggestion, however, I cant help but feel that my question is being lost. Im not asking how to disable or alternatively enable the DRL... Im asking : "what voltage does the DRL supply to the high beam?"

Thank you for the suggestion, however, I cant help but feel that my question is being lost. Im not asking how to disable or alternatively enable the DRL... Im asking : "what voltage does the DRL supply to the high beam?"

Unplug the high beam bulb harness, turn the car on so that the DRL's would normally be on, and stick a multimeter between the positive wire and ground wire to check the voltage coming through.

Unplug the high beam bulb harness, turn the car on so that the DRL's would normally be on, and stick a multimeter between the positive wire and ground wire to check the voltage coming through.

It may come to that, but I was hoping somebody on here knew, as the DRL's do not come on unless the car is in drive. As soon as you put the car in park, they turn off. So there would be some shenanigans involved to make happen...

It may come to that, but I was hoping somebody on here knew, as the DRL's do not come on unless the car is in drive. As soon as you put the car in park, they turn off. So there would be some shenanigans involved to make happen...

Ah yes you're right. I would just have a helper be in the car, parking brake on TIGHT, foot on brake, then put it in Drive and check the resistance really quick.

What about in Neutral? Do they come on then? If so you could just put it in Neutral with the parking brake engaged.

Ah yes you're right. I would just have a helper be in the car, parking brake on TIGHT, foot on brake, then put it in Drive and check the resistance really quick.
What about in Neutral? Do they come on then? If so you could just put it in Neutral with the parking brake engaged.
DRLs won't come on unless the car is moving. This makes it difficult to measure the DRL's voltage. Besides, even if you took the voltage, say 8V, what can you do with it as the high-beams and DRLs share the same wire! You need some sort of decoder to separate two voltages and built into the LED. Unfortunately that kind of LED with decoder remains to be seen!

That's why I always strongly suggest getting the Tech Package with LED headlights if you can. Once you got halogen high-beams and DRLs, you're stuck with them and have limited options to switch to LEDs!

...Besides, even if you took the voltage, say 8V, what can you do with it as the high-beams and DRLs share the same wire!

From post #7 of this thread:

... i want to make sure that a standard 12 volt car relay will be triggered by the DRL's less than 12 volts when the highbeam/drl's are turned on. Whats the trigger voltage for standard auto relay?

You can do a lot with any energized wire. A simple relay can be controlled to inturn control whatever you like. Sooo....the 2 unknowns are still unknown:

1 - What is the (less than 12) voltage when the DRL's are on
2 - What is the minimum trigger voltage required to trip a 12 volt** relay.

** before we all post a dozen comments that detract us from the point; I know it seems obvious that 12 volts would be the required trigger voltage for a 12 volt relay, but I have seen relays that trip at 8-9 volts. Im also sure that I could source a relay matching the DRL's voltage also. But this only brings us back to #1 above.

Last edited:
DRLs won't come on unless the car is moving.

No, that is incorrect. DRL's are still on when the car is stopped, and go off when the car is put into Park. Do you think they turn off when you're stopped at a traffic light?

If there's no answer to the question about DRL voltage posted soon, I'll check it myself and post the results here.

Latest posts

Back