How to remove scratches from windshield

:
CX-5, fwd auto
Hi,
If anyone have done this, please let me know. I have light scratches of about 3 inches, wondered paint scratch remover will work?
Thanks

There are specialized glass polishes out there and glass polishing pads as well to use on either rotary or DA polishers. I would recommend looking into some of those. Autogeek.net and autopia.org are great detailing forums and should provide some info on what works and how to use such products. One Product line I know of is Diamondite but I have never used it so I can't speak to its results.

I don't think Paint scratch remover will work, glass is much harder then paint.

Hi,
If anyone have done this, please let me know. I have light scratches of about 3 inches, wondered paint scratch remover will work?
Thanks

There is an extensive discussion in a NZ Motoring chat board about polishing out windscreen scratches. The general consensus is don't do it because polishing it will make it worse especially at night. The main issue around polishing is that while polishing may make it looks better under daylight, during night time driving the polished area actually show up as flares and it can even be dangerous if the area is in your line of sight.

If you really want to try polishing you might want to try it on a wrecker yard car first.

Last edited:
I have done this before on surface scratches; however, if you can fee the depth of the scratch with your fingernail, you will not be able to repair it without taking off too much glass and leaving areas that are difficult to see through . There is glass polish powers you can buy on-line.

Don't do it! Too risky. Have you checked with a glass shop or two? If you find one that is willing to attempt it, make sure they are willing to assume all risk and replace the windshield if they screw it up. Otherwise, live with it (especially if it's on the passenger side) or have it replaced (maybe under comprehensive on your insurance!).

Back