Best ROAD TRIP wheel/tire size for comfort/handling.

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5 East Coast Edition
I'm getting some new tires Tuesday, as of right now it's sitting on 185/60r15's which is what the previous owner had on steelies for the winter. I'm looking for best road comfort and also best size for rainy/snowy weather.

I am looking on Kijiji for used sets with rims but I'm also wondering what's the max/min sizes I can put on the car (stock) until handling/ride comfort etc become compromised.

Also what do you guys have for winter/summer? or what do you find works best? Also the 15" steelies are all I have for rims I don't have the stock alloys.

A bigger tire will keep the highway RPMs down some. Not much, but every bit helps. These cars are ridiculously high geared, my Ranger has lower gears, so I would definitely not go with a smaller tire than stock.

205/55-16s are very easy to find and inexpensive. They will fit fine on stock 16" wheels without any rubbing. Plenty of sidewall for a smooth ride as well. 205/50 is closer to stock and will be a little firmer, but tires will be harder to find.

215/45-17 is about as big as you can go, although it's actually a tiny bit shorter than 205/55-16. Most people seem to prefer a 215/40.

Finding a decent set of wheels should be no problem with this bolt pattern. Factory offset is +50, look for something in the +35 to 40 range.

Back