odd sound coming from throttlebody area

jhines142

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Ok, here's the skinny.. I have an electrical ticking when i hit the throttle, using my hand, pushing down rather quickly. I was simulating my foot hitting the pedal down in a rapid fashion, but not WOT. WTF is causing it? Now, I can tell you for certain that its intermittent. Another thing is I'm getting a cyl 4 misfire code, again intermittent, on new spark plugs. Sometimes it will miss while driving when in 1st taking off slowly and not cause a CEL. I have removed VTCS, and now have a brand new aluminum intake tube with new rubber grommets around all sensors. Help please lol.

If you can, try and run the vehicle at night in the dark, and see if the ticking could be coming from the spark plug wires, perhaps the one going to #4?

With the hood open in the dark, it will be easy to see the arcing wires... which will make a ticking noise and a blue spark as the spark jumps from the bad part of the wire.

Last edited:
If you can, try and run the vehicle at night in the dark, and see if the ticking could be coming from the spark plug wires, perhaps the one going to #4?

With the hood open in the dark, it will be easy to see the arcing wires... which will make a ticking noise and a blue spark as the spark jumps from the bad part of the wire.

That's the first thing that I thought too. Spark plug wire arcing.

Latest posts

Back