2000 sp20 p5 transmission issue's

Gts-4r

:
2000 sp20 p5
So my daily a 2000 sp20 familia (protege5) Japanese import has developed an intermittent fault with the transmission.

Here goes

Model: sportmatic 4spd auto with manual mode

Fault: sudden clunk feeling when in D then a flashing AT light and won't go into overdrive or manual mode.

This happens while drive at speed or at idle while in gear at seemingly random time's, on acceleration on deceleration and while stationary or while maintaining speed on the highway. Coming to a stop resets the fault about 80% of the time but it often happens again, sometimes it may not happen for 3-4 weeks and I can't seem to get any fault codes though I may not be getting the process correct

Any ideas

wt3ukzfc.ujl.jpg

qef1hzx5.4bo.jpg

Last edited:
Fluid is clean, slightly darker than new but not so dark as to be odd. It's smells clean no hint of burning etc

So my daily a 2000 sp20 familia (protege5) Japanese import has developed an intermittent fault with the transmission. Here goes Model: sportmatic 4spd auto with manual mode Fault: sudden clunk feeling when in D then a flashing AT light and won't go into overdrive or manual mode. This happens while drive at speed or at idle while in gear at seemingly random time's, on acceleration on deceleration and while stationary or while maintaining speed on the highway. Coming to a stop resets the fault about 80% of the time but it often happens again, sometimes it may not happen for 3-4 weeks and I can't seem to get any fault codes though I may not be getting the process correct Any ideas
wt3ukzfc.ujl.jpg
qef1hzx5.4bo.jpg
I had the same issue for years. This happens as a "protection" mode when the ECU detects low fluid in the transmission or some kind of problem. Do this: 1) Drain the transmission fluid completely. By opening the drain you will drain most, but some stays inside, some people have ways of draining the remaining fluid but I didn't want to risk a dry transmission. 2) Theres 13 (?) bolts on the bottom of the trans pan, open it up and there's a kit that comes with a rubber gasket and filter (plastic with a paper mesh inside) 3) Fill it up with only Dextron 3 or 4 fluid. Normal ATF will not solve the issue. Do not overfill! 4) Problem solved. Often times the oil will look fine, not be burnt and seem ok, but like all lubricants they loose properties over time. I've done this on several protege's and stopped this problem. You will notice if you put it in drive and quickly drive off, it will not flash AT unless the temps are cool outside. If you hold the brake and then place in drive without moving it will "tug" and start flashing "AT" and you will be unable to switch gears properly until the ECU registers enough fluid to reset, usually making a full 5 second stop after everything has lubricated. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back