Tires for latest gen Mazda6

:
Mazda6 GT, MX5 PRHT
I don't need tires yet for my 2016 GT. I'm just curious what others experience are. Since I've got a Miata for my aggressive driving, these are my priority:

1. Smooth and quiet ride.
2. Mileage of 40,000 at least.
3. Good all around traction. Not really worried about snow since I live in SC.

Ideas on potential tire choices?

I've liked the Continental DW and DWS on other cars. You're in SC so you likely wouldn't need the cold weather capability of the DWS.

I have enjoyed the Yokohama Advan Sport A/S in 225/45R19 since they debuted. I got the set for around $600 from discount tire on an ebay special and had my dealer roadforce balance them. They are much grippier in the wet than the OE Dunlop tires, and quieter, and ride better, but are not as silent as a grand touring tire like a soft Michelin Premier or Defender. I also don't use them through the winter and instead run noisy luggy winter Pirelli Sottozero tires. I will buy another set or will consider the Toyo Proxes 4 Plus when these go, as on this car I don't see the point in spending $200-250/tire when I can get a very good japanese made tire for much less for daily driving.

25,000 miles on mine, still 7/32" after two rotations. I am pleased with tire life. Living in SC and driving faster on interstates I know you'll get 40-50k out of them. Hope this helps!

Thanks. Good input. I've had Yokohama's in the past and thought each set was great for the price paid. I still have plenty of life on the OE tires but I like to plan ahead.

I bought Toyo DRBs - great choice.
A bit noisy, but it grips well and completely killed understeering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive had Yokohama's YK series tires on my last three Mazda vehicles. So I wanna say it's the Yokohama YK580 now? Since I quit working at Discount Tire almost 3 years ago, I'm a bit later with the new tires out on the market just now. But seriously, they stand up to anything you can throw at them, within reason because leave it up to some dipshit that takes a turn at 70+ on cold tires and wonders why the concrete divider autographed his fender. All season, long wearing, asymmetrical tread pattern which I say helps with it being quiet enough for an all season long wearing tire, awesome water evac and a nice beefy shoulder for those times you really want to push through a twisty drive. I even had them on my '86 RX-7 FC and not once did I suffer from any amount of over/understeer. I would hear the tires load up just enough but never had the front end get away from me. I also took that set a SOLID 70k miles before replacing.

At 9,500 miles I replaced the factory Dunlop's on my 16 Grand Touring with BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S Ultra High Performance All-Seasons.. My first impressions they are worth every penny! A buddy of mine had these same tires installed on his 2015 Lexus ES 350 2 weeks prior to getting mine and was impressed with the handling.

-Grips much better especially when its raining and snowing.
-quieter and more responsive steering.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...16&autoModel=Mazda6&autoModClar=Grand Touring

Last edited:
At 9,500 miles I replaced the factory Dunlop's on my 16 Grand Touring with BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S Ultra High Performance All-Seasons.. My first impressions they are worth every penny! A buddy of mine had these same tires installed on his 2015 Lexus ES 350 2 weeks prior to getting mine and was impressed with the handling.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...16&autoModel=Mazda6&autoModClar=Grand Touring

Thanks for the feedback. The price is pretty decent for that size tire. Looks like a great choice.

^ Forgot to mention Discount Tire takes trad-ins... They gave me $300 for the crappy Dunlops.. they had close to 10,000 miles on them..All together including 4 certificates for refund and replacement I paid $608.00...

^ Forgot to mention Discount Tire takes trad-ins... They gave me $300 for the crappy Dunlops.. they had close to 10,000 miles on them..All together including 4 certificates for refund and replacement I paid $608.00...

Interesting. I like Discount Tires. I bought wheels and tires for my MX5 from them. My 6 tires have 16k miles and still look factory fresh. Might have to check into this.

Got those same tires about 30k ago. Love them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back