Squealing Belt (probably)

hpmaxim

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
Recently, I've noticed a repetive squealing sound that seems to start at idle and gets worse as you rev it, until the sound finally stops. It then will sometimes come back when engine speed sldrops enough. There may also be a slight burning smell coming from the vents when this is happening.

I presume this is my car telling me to replace the serpentine belt. Or is it possible its a tensioner? I did remove and reinstall the alternator a few months ago and it first started about then (but the car had been sitting a while so that might be an unrelated coincidence).

I think you're on the right track. Check pulleys to see that they spin freely, check that tensioner for..um..tension, and see if the belt is old and turning to concrete.

A quick, old-school way to make it stop squealing for now is to spray a little hairspray on the belt. It'll make the belt a bit sticky and shut it up enough to get you home.

Maybe I was unclear on this. I was asking because I wanted to know specifically about the P5 how to control the tension and if there were common problems or solutions? Ie the tensioner is hydraulic, but they don't agree well., buy a new one and be fine with it, or... the tensioners are bullet proof, get a new belt and be done with it.

I don't recall when I pulled the alternator thinking that the belt looked like it was in bad shape.

I presume this is my car telling me to replace the serpentine belt.

We have 2 belts (3 if you count the timing belt I guess) so you need to narrow down which one is squealing. Check the tension of each belt, make sure they are not too tight or too loose, that could be your squealing right there. It could possibly even be your water pump "squealing" which I have had happen when one started to go out on a vehicle.

I did more research. It looks like it's manual tension, and I'd assume it's the alternator belt since that's the one I was monkeying with. I'll take a look at it tomorrow.

Last edited:
Noise seemed to be getting worse, stopped at a gas station and the alternator belt looked messed up. I was about 10 miles from home, so I headed for home. Alternator light came on. Temperature started creeping up. I shut off the engine (or so I thought), apparently I accidentally restarted. Temperature kept creeping up. I think I got it before it completely overheated. Stuck on a country road at midnight coasted to a stop a few miles from my house. Let it sit for 10 minutes. Restarted, made a horrible noise. Accelerated up to 50 mph and shut it off, coasted to a safe stopping spot. Popped the hood. Alternator belt was stuck at the bottom of the engine, I think, and the PS belt was half off and badly damaged. Called a friend and got rescued. Yippee Ki Yay, Mofos! Second overheat in a month!

When i had a squeeling belt it was the alternator belt. Mine was so worn that it started to separate into strands.

Replaced the alternator belt this morning and drove it back home. I think there was still remnants of belt stuck in there (white cords), which were hard to remove. Still waiting on a PS/AC belt from RockAuto. I'm worried I may have overtensioned it. There was noise coming from the belt area, but it could have been the remnants of the old belt whipping around.

The alternator bracket is the adjustment for the belt (as you probably found out). Don't tighten the belt down too much or bad things can happen to your pulleys/bearings/engine.
Make sure there's about a half inch of play in the belt between pulleys after it's tightened down.

I have a squealing too , it started when I noticed my belt needed to be changed . So i replaced both belts (serpentine and alternator ) and it started making a louder noise out of nowhere I'm thinking either water pump or maybe a bearing or one of the pulleys but not sure

Back