problem solved 2002 mazda protege

hygieene351

:
2002 protege
Ok this car has several problems. mine has 119,000. I did the "tune up". I took the car to Reynolds Mazda in Norman Oklahoma they told me the cold air intake had cracks in the rubber. It had cracks in it. But if you take a can of ether based carb cleaner and spray it on the outside of the rubber cold air intake the car should rev up - it didn't. I replaced the cold air intake just for s**** and giggles, next they wanted to replace the ignition coils... I said no paid the diagnostic 110$ fee. Took the car to Edmond Mazda. This dealer wanted to replace the fuel pump. I did not replace it for 960$ I wanted to get a second opinion. The car would stall at idle. I pulled off the EGR valve off and it was stuck open with lots of carbon inside and around the valve. I replaced the valve for 160$. The car ran smooth after that and had no emission codes on dash. Oh and I replaced the spark plug using factory plugs and replaced the coils. I still got poor fuel results shown here at 19 mpg city and 22 Hwy as long as you NEVER exceed 60 mph. The gas mileage falls to 17 MPG if you Exceed 60 MPH. I figured out why the poor gas mileage. The car runs at 1,950 rpm in 5 gear at 62 miles per hour----or 1,600 in 5 gear at 30 miles per hour. The car needs a 6 gear to bring the RPM down, so not to wast gas or such as Overdrive like on my friends 5.0 Liter V8 Mercury Cougar. His car has the engine running at 1,400 RPM at 70 MPH getting around 33 on the Hwy and that's a V8 Big Block.There is nothing wrong with this car it just doesn't have a Overdrive Gear inside the transmission. Simple problem fixed. Buy a new car like my Toyota Corolla that gets 32 city 39 hwy with 240,000 miles on it... buy buy Mazda!!!!! never again.

Last edited:
While many of us agree that our 5th gear should be lower, your car DOES have a problem. I currently average around 30mph in my P5 and NEVER drive below 65 on the highway. I easily get over 30 straight highway driving at or above 70mph the whole way. Mine is not a fluke either, my last car was a 2001 Protege ES with over 200k miles and I would consistently get over 35 MPG on the highway without any engine mods. I'm sorry you're having trouble but I guarantee you just haven't found or corrected your issue properly yet. Hopefully some other responses could give you some more possible causes.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Ok this car has several problems. mine has 119,000. I did the "tune up". I took the car to Reynolds Mazda in Norman Oklahoma they told me the cold air intake had cracks in the rubber. It had cracks in it. But if you take a can of ether based carb cleaner and spray it on the outside of the rubber cold air intake the car should rev up - it didn't. I replaced the cold air intake just for s**** and giggles, next they wanted to replace the ignition coils... I said no paid the diagnostic 110$ fee. Took the car to Edmond Mazda. This dealer wanted to replace the fuel pump. I did not replace it for 960$ I wanted to get a second opinion. The car would stall at idle. I pulled off the EGR valve off and it was stuck open with lots of carbon inside and around the valve. I replaced the valve for 160$. The car ran smooth after that and had no emission codes on dash. Oh and I replaced the spark plug using factory plugs and replaced the coils. I still got poor fuel results shown here at 19 mpg city and 22 Hwy as long as you NEVER exceed 60 mph. The gas mileage falls to 17 MPG if you Exceed 60 MPH. I figured out why the poor gas mileage. The car runs at 1,950 rpm in 5 gear at 62 miles per hour----or 1,600 in 5 gear at 30 miles per hour. The car needs a 6 gear to bring the RPM down, so not to wast gas or such as Overdrive like on my friends 5.0 Liter V8 Mercury Cougar. His car has the engine running at 1,400 RPM at 70 MPH getting around 33 on the Hwy and that's a V8 Big Block.There is nothing wrong with this car it just doesn't have a Overdrive Gear inside the transmission. Simple problem fixed. Buy a new car like my Toyota Corolla that gets 32 city 39 hwy with 240,000 miles on it... buy buy Mazda!!!!! never again.

I think you might be mistaken... Running the Miata from Chicago to California, 5th Gear highway speed was at almost 4000 rpm, averaged 26-28mpg depending if we had top up or down...

Our Protege5 travelled at Freeway speeds of 70-80mph on our local I-5, and we never saw a tank go below 25 MPG...

Leaking fuel injectors? How does your oil smell, does it smell like fuel?

Bad Oxygen Sensor? Causing your ECU to run RICH?

Tire Pressures? What tire pressures are you running?

Tire sizes? Are the tire sizes stock? Or an odd size that throws off the revolutions per mile, affecting your speedo MPH and your gas MPG?

Does the car roll easy on its own? Brake dragging?

How are you calculating your gas mileage?
(hippy)

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the OP is a troll who is disgruntled about the junker car his brother dumped on him and the "service" he received at that Mazda dealer. His other posts are all pretty much identical over the last year. October 2015 the car had 119k, then 120k when he was given it for free and now a year later it's back to 119k. I bet his brother had a good laugh tricking him into taking the money pit P5 off his hands.

... buy buy Mazda!!!!! never again.

Buy Mazda? Sounds like you don't like them.....

That is word for word his first post from last October. He must still really be pissed off at that car to come back almost a year later to rant. Or he works for Toyota.

Back