Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2016 CX-9 Turbo Lag?

Registered Member

cx9

In my experience with modern cars, its not just turbo cars that have lag. Every throttle by wire vehicle I've driven has some level of electronic throttle delay. On a turbo car its hard to tell how much of the lag is turbo related and how much is due to the rest of the engine electronics and mechanicals. I would bet the ECM and transmission have more part in the delay you're feeling than the turbo does. The CX9 is more responsive than many non-turbo vehicles I have driven.

Registered Member

2010 CX-9

The only time I have noticed lag is when turning from one street to another while having a green light (IOW not from a stop). Otherwise I notice zero lag. For the record we use 93 octane fuel

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9

Quote Originally Posted by forties View Post
    In my experience with modern cars, its not just turbo cars that have lag. Every throttle by wire vehicle I've driven has some level of electronic throttle delay. On a turbo car its hard to tell how much of the lag is turbo related and how much is due to the rest of the engine electronics and mechanicals. I would bet the ECM and transmission have more part in the delay you're feeling than the turbo does. The CX9 is more responsive than many non-turbo vehicles I have driven.
    ^^ This. It's mostly (all?) electronic/by wire these days. There's is always throttle delay. In my experience the throttle by wire delay when you punch it is longer than any lag in the turbo.

Registered Member

2017 cx-9

Quote Originally Posted by thugzy View Post
    Sport mode does nothing else but hold the lower gear.

There is no difference when applying full throttle
    Drive on the highway on normal and press the peadle

Then do ot again in sport and you will fell the difference.

Registered Member

cx9

Quote Originally Posted by Horton View Post
    ^^ This. It's mostly (all?) electronic/by wire these days. There's is always throttle delay. In my experience the throttle by wire delay when you punch it is longer than any lag in the turbo.
    Yep, the electronic throttle delay is merely annoying on some cars, downright dangerous on others. I'm sure it has led to hundreds if not thousands of accidents whether the accident victims realize it or not. On the other hand, it probably prevents other different types of accidents. Impossible to get an accurate net effect.

The CX9 is ranks very good IMO on the throttle lag. Mazda tends to be better than most makes on electronic throttle lag. 'Driving matters' and all..

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Not sure what exactly is turbo lag, but I wanted to check if the sensation I feel is the turbo lag.

During low speed and slow acceleration, I feel the car pulls forward with higher torque very briefly at certain point and settle down to normal speed/acceleration. It is subtle, but I am bothered that something doesn't feel right.

The sensation almost feels like with a stick shift car when I abruptly switched to lower gear without smooth clutch operation and hitting gas too fast just ever so little.

Is what I feel is turbo lag??

Registered Member

2017 Mazda cx9 signature

Turbo lag is when you press the accelerator and due to either bad tuning or usually an improperly sized turbo- there is a delay before the turbo kicks in. A turbo is like a big fan, that fan needs a certain volume of air from the exhaust manifold to make it start spinning. Imagine blowing on a paper or plastic party fan. If you dont blow hard enough- the fan wont spin, that's lag; if you blow too hard, there will be a point where it won't spin faster or will fall apart- that's the limit of your turbos efficiency.

Turbo lag in the cx9? Not noticeable at all. Come sit in my 76mm Supra and I'll show you the meaning of turbo lag.

Last edited by thewraith; 07-26-2017 at 12:40 PM.

Registered Member

cx9

Quote Originally Posted by shjin404 View Post
    ...feels like with a stick shift car when I abruptly switched to lower gear without smooth clutch operation and hitting gas too fast just ever so little.
    I know its a month late reply, but 1st guess is it sounds transmission related. I would take a look at what your tach is showing when this problem occurs. May give you some insight on what is the source.

I read some of the early comments in this thread saying 0.5 second throttle delay is nothing, and I have to disagree there. @55mph a car has gone 40 feet in half a second. It could well be the difference between avoiding an accident and getting seriously injured..

BMW & Mazda Enthusiast

2011 BMW 528i & 2015 Mazda 6

Quote Originally Posted by perfectg View Post
    This is my 3rd turbo car. BMW 335i had serious lag, even with the stage 2 upgrade from BMW it suffered from lag.
    2nd car was an audi q5, again much better than BMW, but still had lag.
    Mazda - lag is so unnoticeable can hardly tell.
    an engine that was poorly broken in when new and is burning oil will have more lag then a healthy, well sealed motor.

BMW & Mazda Enthusiast

2011 BMW 528i & 2015 Mazda 6

Quote Originally Posted by forties View Post
    OP, this is your first turbo motor. turbo engines respond much differently then NA.

you need to feather the throttle lightly when start off the line, and roll into the throttle rather then just pinning it to the ground. even when you are racing, you need to roll into the throttle. if you just stomp the gas right away you will feel the turbo fall flat on their faces trying to build boost quickly.

when you roll the throttle, you are building pressure in the turbo. then you can punch it. just practise with your throttle input and you will notice almost no lag.

Registrierte Benutzer Chris_Top_Her's Avatar
    Donated: $40
    CX-3, CX-5 & CX-9 Moderator

'15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

Ecu tune will help with that. Part of it is OEM programming on how fast the TB opens and closes. Www.ovtuned.com Even on the NA motor you can tell the difference night and day just in throttle response/shift response alone.

Registrierte Benutzer Chris_Top_Her's Avatar
    Donated: $40
    CX-3, CX-5 & CX-9 Moderator

'15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

Quote Originally Posted by thewraith View Post
    Turbo lag is when you press the accelerator and due to either bad tuning or usually an improperly sized turbo- there is a delay before the turbo kicks in. A turbo is like a big fan, that fan needs a certain volume of air from the exhaust manifold to make it start spinning. Imagine blowing on a paper or plastic party fan. If you dont blow hard enough- the fan wont spin, that's lag; if you blow too hard, there will be a point where it won't spin faster or will fall apart- that's the limit of your turbos efficiency.

Turbo lag in the cx9? Not noticeable at all. Come sit in my 76mm Supra and I'll show you the meaning of turbo lag.

Plan on nodding the cx9? Nice supra.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2017 Mazda cx9 signature

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Top_Her View Post
    Plan on nodding the cx9? Nice supra.
    Yes- I have some leftover diesel piping that I'll weld into a down pipe as soon as I have some time. I'll post pics and measurements.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12