2016 CX-9 Turbo Lag?

djp10

:
mazda, cx9
Anyone else experiencing noticeable turbo lag? ~.5sec to spin up

FYI - this is the first turbo engine I've owned.

I'm pretty sure all turbos have lag. Not sure how long a typical turbo lag is though. You can brake boost if you're already rolling, but I doubt that is healthy for the transmission.

.5 sec isn't bad. They're all going to have some lag otherwise they wouldn't help with fuel economy because every time you pressed the accelerator pedal you'd get into boost.

I don't notice turbo lag at all.
This is my first turbo and it seems to pulls smoothly whether punching it or accelearating slowly.
I do notice the slight turbo whine when accelerating hard.
I love that sound.

This is my 3rd turbo car. BMW 335i had serious lag, even with the stage 2 upgrade from BMW it suffered from lag.
2nd car was an audi q5, again much better than BMW, but still had lag.
Mazda - lag is so unnoticeable can hardly tell.

0.5s turbo lag? That is actually almost no lag.

Comparatively to other Turbo'd cars, this engine has close to no lag.

You do need to modulate the throttle differently on this engine vs a normally aspirated one to get the most acceleration and boost.

I find on turbos, if you instantaneously mash the throttle 100% you wont get the turbo to boost as quickly as if you roll on the throttle.... this is also true on the CX9

310 lb-ft of torque at 2,000 RPM. Turbo lag? Who cares!

This motor doesn't have to downshift and spin up to 5,000 RPM to generate massive kick.
No wonder Wards praised the ingenious Dynamic Pressure Turbo system and named it a 2017 top 10 engine winner.

The turbo lag on mine is rare. I've noticed it a couple of times when I suddenly wanted to change lanes. I now switch to Sport Mode when I anticipate a possible condition like that, then switch back to normal later.

Hi All, I own a MS6. My understanding turbo lag is the time it takes to go WOT and the turbo to fully spool (I could be wrong). The technology applied on the CX-9 has the turbo spinning very quickly. There should be very little turbo lag. I have not modded (MS6) to a very large turbo (I doubt I will) but BT guys experienced more turbo lag in order turn a larger compressor wheel. That is why car manufacturers use smaller turbos.

Too bad, the CX-9 is my Wife's car.

BTW BT pushes the power to higher RPM band and breathes better at range.

This is my 3rd turbo car. BMW 335i had serious lag, even with the stage 2 upgrade from BMW it suffered from lag.
2nd car was an audi q5, again much better than BMW, but still had lag.
Mazda - lag is so unnoticeable can hardly tell.

Hi can you provide a little comparison of your ownership with the Q5 vs the CX-9?

Use 91 over 87 fuel..... I notice less responsiveness and inconsistent Turbo boost pressure with 87. With 91 there Is less lag

Use 91 over 87 fuel..... I notice less responsiveness and inconsistent Turbo boost pressure with 87. With 91 there Is less lag

You're not supposed to use 87 on a turbo car. It's less responsive because your engine is detonating and your ecu is pulling timing...

You're not supposed to use 87 on a turbo car.
Perfectly OK in our cars according to Mazda. There is a high rpm performance loss with 87. The choice is yours.

Lag or heat socked intercooler ?! I have 3 k km's on my 17 gt awd and i've noticed that on day driving and with very hot ambient temperature the stock ic is useless.

The car is making boost but the ecu severely retard timing to the point that it feels likes it might have a boost leak.

On the highway if you want to pass guick just kick it into sport mode.

On the highway if you want to pass guick just kick it into sport mode.

Sport mode does nothing else but hold the lower gear.

There is no difference when applying full throttle

In my experience with modern cars, its not just turbo cars that have lag. Every throttle by wire vehicle I've driven has some level of electronic throttle delay. On a turbo car its hard to tell how much of the lag is turbo related and how much is due to the rest of the engine electronics and mechanicals. I would bet the ECM and transmission have more part in the delay you're feeling than the turbo does. The CX9 is more responsive than many non-turbo vehicles I have driven.

The only time I have noticed lag is when turning from one street to another while having a green light (IOW not from a stop). Otherwise I notice zero lag. For the record we use 93 octane fuel

In my experience with modern cars, its not just turbo cars that have lag. Every throttle by wire vehicle I've driven has some level of electronic throttle delay. On a turbo car its hard to tell how much of the lag is turbo related and how much is due to the rest of the engine electronics and mechanicals. I would bet the ECM and transmission have more part in the delay you're feeling than the turbo does. The CX9 is more responsive than many non-turbo vehicles I have driven.

^^ This. It's mostly (all?) electronic/by wire these days. There's is always throttle delay. In my experience the throttle by wire delay when you punch it is longer than any lag in the turbo.

^^ This. It's mostly (all?) electronic/by wire these days. There's is always throttle delay. In my experience the throttle by wire delay when you punch it is longer than any lag in the turbo.

Yep, the electronic throttle delay is merely annoying on some cars, downright dangerous on others. I'm sure it has led to hundreds if not thousands of accidents whether the accident victims realize it or not. On the other hand, it probably prevents other different types of accidents. Impossible to get an accurate net effect.

The CX9 is ranks very good IMO on the throttle lag. Mazda tends to be better than most makes on electronic throttle lag. 'Driving matters' and all..

Latest posts

Back