$50 rebate (cash card) from General Tire on Altimax RT43

I have only driven 50 or so miles with them but the RT43s are definitely quieter than the Yoko's and the vehicle seems more responsive (turns) with the RT43s.
General AltiMAX RT43's have been on my CR-V for over 20K miles. They're the quietest tires on the vehicle after 2 sets of BF Goodrich tires (OE) and 3 sets of Yokohama's. Yoko's usually would be much louder after 20K miles but RT43's are still doing well so far. Handling is good but driving a CR-V you don't try too much on handling anyway. ;)

Yoko/OEM = 1,764 lbs - 44psi MAX
RT43 = 1,874 lbs - 51psi MAX

Yoko = 10/32" tread depth
RT43 = 11/32" tread depth

Yoko = Traction B - 280 Tread wear (atrocious)
RT43 = Traction A - 700 Tread wear
Added more details on comparison:

Yokohama Geolandar G91A (OE) Load Index =100 = 1,764 lbs - 44psi MAX
General AltiMAX RT43 Load Index =102 = 1,874 lbs - 51psi MAX

G91A = 26 lbs.
RT43 = 24.3 lbs.

G91A = 10/32" tread depth
RT43 = 11/32" tread depth

G91A = 280 Tread wear (atrocious) / Traction B / Temperature A
RT43 = 700 Tread wear / Traction A / Temperature A

WHAT!? 280 treadwear!? Seriously? That's insane for a CUV.

Makes sense you would vary the pressure, given the load indexes.
My theory has always been the difference on maximum inflation pressure will also affect the optimum tire pressure. These 2 tires will handle different load at the same 34 psi tire pressure as load carrying on tire is related to the tire pressure. The contact area between tire tread and road surface will be different too with the same car weight which affects even tire wear.

General AltiMAX™ RT43's have been on my CR-V for over 20K miles. They're the quietest tires on the vehicle after 2 sets of BF Goodrich tires (OE) and 3 sets of Yokohama's. Yoko's usually would be much louder after 20K miles but RT43's are still doing well so far. Handling is good but driving a CR-V you don't try too much on handling anyway. ;)

Plus the RT43's will do much better in the snow and/or rain vs OEM.

CX5 only has 2,000 miles on it. Vehicle drives straight, no pulling, so no need to have alignment checked.

I used to think like that, until I chewed up a $300 tire "because the last set wore great and it didn't pull, so why waste the money?". Now, I get an alignment with every tire change.

I used to think like that, until I chewed up a $300 tire "because the last set wore great and it didn't pull, so why waste the money?". Now, I get an alignment with every tire change.
I agree that having an alignment at each new tire replacement is a good practice especially with very expensive tires. But in Lbear's case he has a brand new CX-5, I'd skip the alignment too unless the vehicle has run into the potholes or curb too many times. Because tire stores like Costco and Discount Tire they don't do the alignment job, we have to take it to other place for the job which is a hassle too.

I skipped the alignment when the RT-43's were put on at 3,000 miles.The tires were wearing good.Sometime later,the lower control arm bushings were changed per TSB and required an alignment so it was no longer the factory alignment if that would have made any difference.

I agree that having an alignment at each new tire replacement is a good practice especially with very expensive tires. But in Lbear's case he has a brand new CX-5, I'd skip the alignment too unless the vehicle has run into the potholes or curb too many times. Because tire stores like Costco and Discount Tire they don't do the alignment job, we have to take it to other place for the job which is a hassle too.

I wonder since the tires are different, if that alone would warrant an alignment. Different dimensions.

I wonder since the tires are different, if that alone would warrant an alignment. Different dimensions.

It should not. The wheels/tires are an extension of the hub. Toe-in, caster and camber will not change if you change wheels/tires as the geometry between the 2 wheels hasn’t changed.

Maybe if you put some wheel on with a crazy dimension or offset it will change camber, but you are probably loading suspension in ways you should not, and an alignment would just mask the problem.

It should not. The wheels/tires are an extension of the hub. Toe-in, caster and camber will not change if you change wheels/tires as the geometry between the 2 wheels hasn’t changed.

Maybe if you put some wheel on with a crazy dimension or offset it will change camber, but you are probably loading suspension in ways you should not, and an alignment would just mask the problem.

Makes sense. I've just been paranoid since I slayed 300 dollars in 1200 miles.

Makes sense. I've just been paranoid since I slayed 300 dollars in 1200 miles.
"It should not. The wheels/tires are an extension of the hub. Toe-in, caster and camber will not change if you change wheels/tires, especially with the same sized tires, as the geometry between the 2 wheels hasnt changed."

Did another fill up and once again, I got 31mpg (75% highway/25% city)
Good to know. What is your tire pressure when cold? And what was the gas mileage from your OE Yoko tires? Did you have a chance to try your RT43's in snow during this cold front?

Good to know. What is your tire pressure when cold? And what was the gas mileage from your OE Yoko tires? Did you have a chance to try your RT43's in snow during this cold front?

I was getting around 29/30 mpg on the Yoko's

No snow yet with the RT43's

I'm running around 41 psi cold

Had some snownqith the nokians. They did okay. Not bad enough snow to tell, but the lx20s were not far behind them in braking. The nokians fo corner better though. Very rigid sidewalls.

Just put a new set of 19 RT43's on my CX-5 (replacing the original Toyos @ 32,000 miles) - Good mileage warranty and great wear rating and reviews. I have noted slightly less road noise - will update later.....

Just put a new set of 19 RT43's on my CX-5 (replacing the original Toyos @ 32,000 miles) - Good mileage warranty and great wear rating and reviews. I have noted slightly less road noise - will update later.....
Thanks for the info and please keep us posted ⋯

Back