Mazda to Recall 2.3m vehicles worldwide

I was interested in a used Certified CX-5 GT and spoke with a Sales rep from the Mazda Dealership that was selling. I was told the car was placed in a Stop-Sale for this recall. He said he didn't know when the replacement parts or solution from Mazda would come. He mentioned all CX-5's with a manufacturing date of Oct 2014 - Oct 2015 were part of the recall. I don't know how accurate the dates he gave me were but thought I'd share.

Also, not certain if this has been posted already but here is the Official Mazda Site to check if you're vehicle has any recalls and the status of their completion specifically for your car: www.mazdarecallinfo.com

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. I just checked and my built in July 2015, 2016 CX-5 IS included in this recall. Current Status Incomplete; Remedy not yet available

Says dealer will replace the lift support

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. I just checked and my built in July 2015, 2016 CX-5 IS included in this recall. Current Status Incomplete; Remedy not yet available

Says dealer will replace the lift support
So this recall indicates not only the bolts may rust, but the lift struts may fail?

I don't see the necessity of stop-sale for this kind of recall. May be because there is no resolution yet which caused stop-sale, like last CX-5 fuel fill pipe recall happened earlier this year in January.

Rusting Hatch Damper Bolts?

attachment.php

attachment.php

The issue is NOT in complexity but the type of correction required. Dealers abhor doing ANY body work in general and especially paint jobs are all at body shop. I wonder what they'll do now when the cars start coming in for recall correction? I am afraid there'll be a back-log/long wait. Alternatively, CL might come in handy where they have these mobile paint guys. They might get a temporary job at the dealership but usually they suck with paint jobs. When taking into consideration - color = soul red, that's a beast to match!!

Think I'll go squirt some WD-40 on mine while they still look good...

Or are they just going to replace the HYD dampers????

"Insufficient corrosion protective coating was applied to the ends of the external cylinders of the rear hatch/lift gate gas stay dampers (lift supports). If water containing road salt enters, it can cause corrosion. Over time, increased corrosion may eventually cause it to break as the rear hatch or lift gate is opened.

Safety Risk: The rear hatch or lift gate may drop suddenly, and/or the broken parts may hit the customer, causing injury.

REPAIR DESCRIPTION

Dealers will replace the lift support, at no charge to the owner.

Last edited:
The rear hatch struts went on my sons 2015 3 and he ended up buying new ones on-line before the recall was published. I have not received an official recall notice on our CX5 struts, but I plugged my vin in the Mazda USA recall site and sure enough it came up.

Got the Liftgate Damper recall letter in the mail. I don't live near salt water ocean and I don't drive through salted snow so my gas dampers naturally look and operate good. Considering the car is outside the bumper-to-bumper warranty and that all gas dampers have a limited lifespan it looks like I'm going to get some free ones installed :)

On the other hand my gas dampers in my toolbox door are shot though :(

Would we get a notice letter if we bought our 2014 CX-5 used through a local Mazda dealer? We did not purchase it as CPO, just as a used vehicle.

Would we get a notice letter if we bought our 2014 CX-5 used through a local Mazda dealer? We did not purchase it as CPO, just as a used vehicle.

Manufacturers simply send out recall notices to the last known owner. Example I had a 2001 BMW and I received a recall notice about it in 2008-2009. I was like the 3rd owner. You don't even need the recall notice. You can call the dealership and tell them to check your VIN#.

Manufacturers simply send out recall notices to the last known owner. Example I had a 2001 BMW and I received a recall notice about it in 2008-2009. I was like the 3rd owner. You don't even need the recall notice. You can call the dealership and tell them to check your VIN#.

I see. I checked the lift gate strut attachments on ours, and they appear to have a black rubberized finish on them. No rust on ours.

Just got my notice this weekend. Parts aren't available yet, a second notice will follow when they are.

I see. I checked the lift gate strut attachments on ours, and they appear to have a black rubberized finish on them. No rust on ours.

Same here but I'll end up getting mine replaced anyways. Different sources on the web say these things tend to last 5-7 years on average for various makes. Our CX-5 is near 4 years old. Having the dealership install OEM stuff with free labor/warranty is always a win.

Received the letter over the weekend. I need to take mine in for inspection this month and will ask about availability of parts when booking the appointment.

Back