03.5 MSP Odometer Swap

NCoppersmith

:
Mazdaspeed Protege 3.5
The speedometer in my MSP got "sticky" where it would jump between 45mph and 60mph depending on how fast you were going, not giving a good, gradual, needle sweep indicating speed at certain ranges. So, even though minor, I decided to swap the gauge cluster, thinking I could swap the PCB without too much difficulty. Then I discovered that the Tach and Speed motors were soldered to the PCB, making this impossible without popping the needles off, which I did on the original cluster, which probably borked it to begin with.

My car only has 69k miles or so (been in storage the last 5 years and never driven much, 2nd owner) but the used cluster I bought has over 235k miles. Is there a way to either fix my speedometer without soldering/de-soldering the speedo motor, or swap/fix the odometer on the replacement? While I might never (probably) sell this car, the mileage being out of whack kinda annoys me.

They are not soldered, there are 4 pins soldered to the pcb for tach and another 4 for the speedo, just straighten the 2 tabs for speedo/tach then they slide off the pins from the front to either swap gauges or pcb.

Back