Alignment Issue

Schwamm

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege, 2008 Mazda 3 Hatchback, 1984 RX7 GSL-SE
I took my car in for an alignment and found the front-left tire was outside the adjustment range. I recently replaced all struts, strut mounts, and front control arms, and I'm wondering if I installed something incorrectly.

On my rx7, the front strut mounts need to be installed facing a certain way. Are the protege's the same way? I didn't pay attention at the time so I am not sure how the old ones were oriented. Could the strut mount be the issue, or would something else cause these numbers?

Attachments

• IMG_2116.JPG
    IMG_2116.JPG
    194.5 KB · Views: 358
There should be a paint dab on the strut mount and it faces towards the outside and rear of the vehicle on both sides. The brake line tab on the struts should be on the side towards the front of the car. The Toe can be adjusted with the tie rod ends but with a stock suspension the caster and camber are fixed.

I flipped the strut mount on the left tire around 180 and it looks like the toe got worse.

I still have the original strut mounts with the paint dabs but I do not know which is which, so I don't know how the new ones are supposed to be installed at this point. Without referencing the old mounts, how do I make sure the mounts are facing the right direction? Is there a correct placement, as far as which corner the top of the strut is closest to?

I am stumped and am just trying to get my car to a point where it can be aligned

I wound up fixing it the hard way. I took both front struts out of the car, and matched up the dirt/rust on my old strut mounts with the proper positioning of the paint dots to figure out which way the originals faced. I then put the strut mounts back in, which required one side to be flipped 180, and marked the correct spot with paint on the new mounts. I was then able to align that car using the string-between-jackstands method and get it drive straight again (finally)

Back