"Metal-on-metal" noise when turning

levesquey

:
Mazda CX-9 GT 2010
Hi,

I'm new on this forum and maybe that this case has already been discussed. If so, please redirect me to the case.

I have a 2010 CX-9 AWD with 187 K mileage. Since 2 months, I'm hearing a noise from the rear that sounds like wind blowing or metal on metal.

I went to the dealer (in fact, I went to see 2 of them) and both have check the ol of the rear transmission but everything was OK.

I hear the sound when turning at low speed. Currently it doesn't seem to affect car performance and I don't have any alarms like TCS.

Any idea that might be usefull ?

You're going to need a new transfer case, which is a drop-in unit from the Ford Edge. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Lots of info on this if you look through the forum under engine/trans section. Mazda has yet to recall them. They just take your money with a smile.

Possible it could be a wheel bearing. You mention it coming from the rear, are you sure? Did they acknowledge the noise?
If you paid them to diagnose, they should have found the issue at a minimum.

You're going to need a new transfer case, which is a drop-in unit from the Ford Edge. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Lots of info on this if you look through the forum under engine/trans section. Mazda has yet to recall them. They just take your money with a smile.

That's quite a jump to conclusion with so little go on.

Could be just as easily be something minor like a wheel bearing. Could even be a bent disk brake shield that rubs the rotor a little bit when turning.

That's quite a jump to conclusion with so little go on.

Could be just as easily be something minor like a wheel bearing. Could even be a bent disk brake shield that rubs the rotor a little bit when turning.

Agreed, I don't think it's a transfer case unit failure, symptoms would be leaking grey oil and undeniable foul intense burnt garlic smell, then followed by grinding noises when accelerating from a stop. I would lean towards wheel bearing first but can check for oil leaks to rule out PTU failure.

Back