Real World MPG Testing - 2016 CX5 - GT with AWD

:
2017 CX5 AWD Touring
OK, I did a REAL WORLD TEST. I reset the dash trip reading and then filled the tank and then reset the trip to zero and calculated it on the refill.

Here is what I got:

DASH DISPLAY = 29.4 MPG
HAND CALCULATION = 29.8 MPG (6.9 Gallons of fuel burned at 208 miles with Costco Top Tier 91 octane fuel)

2016 CX5 GT- AWD - Roof Rack (no cross rails), OEM Mudflaps
  • Continental Tires at 40psi cold
  • 75% Highway - 25% City Driving
  • A/C on about 50% of time
  • A few WOT runs
  • About 15 minutes idling in park

I will do one more 200+ mile run and see what I get.

There must be a point here.(uhm)

The point is that the stated 30 MPG by Mazda is attainable even with AWD, roof rails, and normal driving and that the display MPG is pretty accurate to the real world MPG calculations.

OK, I did a REAL WORLD TEST. I reset the dash trip reading and then filled the tank and then reset the trip to zero and calculated it on the refill.

Here is what I got:

DASH DISPLAY = 29.4 MPG
HAND CALCULATION = 29.8 MPG (6.9 Gallons of fuel burned at 208 miles with Costco Top Tier 91 octane fuel)

• A few WOT runs

At what speed did you travel?

I'm glad the longest threads are where people complain about being 1-2 mpg off expectation and not a 200 page thread about engine failures.

I'm glad the longest threads are where people complain about being 1-2 mpg off expectation and not a 200 page thread about engine failures.

+1 --- mpg and windshield seem to be the recent theme.

Other obvious variables (not in order): hills, coasting/braking approaching redlight/traffic jam, outside temperature, wind speed/strength, short vs long trips, mileage on the car, and yes -- speed (five-0)

Yep! I would MUCH rather deal with this vehicle underpoerforming mpg (while still doing great, I would add), than I would deal with it having all manner of expensive mechanical issues like my Grand Jeep Cherokee. Very pleased with my purchase, over-all.

At what speed did you travel?

I was doing around 60-65MPH on the highway. I am aware that once speeds go above 70MPH that MPG will drop.

I also leave it in SPORT MODE a few times and did a few WOT runs. So I was not "babying" it either.

I believe people need to check their tire pressure more often. SO many under inflated tires out there and this can hurt MPG.

My last vehicle was a 2012 Dodge Ram 2500 Off-Road with the Hemi. Over three years I average 9.9 mph. 9.9. I'm just thrilled to be driving a vehicle that gets double digits!

Here is what I got:

DASH DISPLAY = 29.4 MPG

• A few WOT runs

2016 CX-5 GT with AWD. Last weekend, 650 miles on Interstate, roundtrip from Western PA to Eastern PA (hilly). 67 mph average. Cruise control set at 75mph pretty much all the time. Light traffic. OEM tires at 38psi. 87 octane. AC on all the time. 2 passengers in the car with 2 pieces of luggage each.
27.9mpg. Very pleased.

I was doing around 60-65MPH on the highway. I am aware that once speeds go above 70MPH that MPG will drop.

I also leave it in SPORT MODE a few times and did a few WOT runs. So I was not "babying" it either.

I believe people need to check their tire pressure more often. SO many under inflated tires out there and this can hurt MPG.

Ironically, new tires hurt mileage, too. More tread squirm. I went from 19-20mpg to 18-19mpg in my Jeep when I got new tires. I was kindof butthurt about that, lol

I got 31.XXmpg when I did a short (50mi) test similar to yours, although I was only testing "highway", and babied it a bit more than you.

2016 CX-5 GT with AWD. Last weekend, 650 miles on Interstate, roundtrip from Western PA to Eastern PA (hilly). 67 mph average. Cruise control set at 75mph pretty much all the time. Light traffic. OEM tires at 38psi. 87 octane. AC on all the time. 2 passengers in the car with 2 pieces of luggage each.
27.9mpg. Very pleased.

I got 28.2mpg under identical conditions from San Antonio to Bentonville,AR a while back, although I had no passengers. 0.3mpg is within the range of statistical insignificance. I did however only get 26.5mpg on my dash. The 28.2 (or was it 28.1?) was hand-calculated. Computer shorted me.

My last vehicle was a 2012 Dodge Ram 2500 Off-Road with the Hemi. Over three years I average 9.9 mph. 9.9. I'm just thrilled to be driving a vehicle that gets double digits!

That's crazy! I had a 2010 Grand Jeep Cherokee with the HEMI and managed 14.5 or so on the daily, using remote start, and flogging it. 18" rims. Did you have massive mud tires or something?

Just returned from a Tahoe trip, 2 people + light luggage, A/C, 87 octane, climbing over the Sierra, 6700 ft at Donner pass, and back to a station outside Sacramento.
Sections of 70 and 75 MPH but also a few miles of 35 close to the lake. Total tank 335 miles. Dash read 29 MPG, hand calculated at 29.3 MPG.

That's crazy! I had a 2010 Grand Jeep Cherokee with the HEMI and managed 14.5 or so on the daily, using remote start, and flogging it. 18" rims. Did you have massive mud tires or something?

Nope! But the truck weighed close to 6,000 pounds so she was a load. Towing the boat, I didn't even look at what my mileage was. The fact it had a 34 gallon gas tank should have been a warning for me...

Nope! But the truck weighed close to 6,000 pounds so she was a load. Towing the boat, I didn't even look at what my mileage was. The fact it had a 34 gallon gas tank should have been a warning for me...

Ah, that makes sense. My Jeep was barely over 4000#.

I posted this is the wrong thread last night..Wanted to try to keep this together.

We went on our first long road trip with the CX-5. Outstanding performance and MPG. 4 hours in 95f heat we got just under 34mpg and that was being stuck in traffic for about 30 minutes. On the way back we averaged just over 34 mpg. I am SUPER impressed with this vehicle's gas mileage! This is with two adults and 1 teenager in the car. Mostly highway.

I'm very happy with the mileage as well on my CX-5. Not quite as good as the 6, but one can expect that from an AWD suv. Gotten as good as 28.8 and averaging 24.6 MPG per Fuelly.com I do have a bit of a lead foot-so mileage isn't as good as it could be. I usually drive 75-85 on the interstate commute to work.

I might be able to save you a few pennies:

There is zero benefit to putting a higher octane fuel in a car than it calls for. It's not any cleaner and your car won't run any better. Some engines require a higher octane to prevent spontaneous combustion (knocking) due to higher compression ratios.

If your car isn't knocking at a lower octane, there's no benefit to getting a higher octane. You're just burning money.

From CarTalk
:
Q. My owner's manual says my car will run just fine on regular, unleaded gas. Will "treating" it to premium gas provide any benefit?

A. Let's be perfectly clear about this:
NO!
A. The only thing you'll be benefiting are the portfolios of impoverished oil company executives.
And before you do that, consider that Exxon-Mobil earned $39.5 billion dollars in 2006 - a world record profit. It's not like they need you giving them a hand out.

Back