2016 CX-5 noise/drag when turning left from a stop or low speed

lunachick

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring in Titanium Flash Mica
Hi all

I got my CX-5 in October 2015. Around December, it began making a very loud sound and physically slow down...this was intermittent and would happen when I'd turn into my driveway. The first time it happened, I thought I ran over something, as the car slows down considerably and feels like it's dragging something. Dealership couldn't duplicate, and I've taken it in twice for this. Now, for the past 3 weeks, it's been doing this same thing about once each week, and now when I'm turning to get on the freeway. Same thing each time....the noise and the "drag", then all is OK as I accelerate to overcome the slowing down.

I took a video of this, as the dealership can't diagnose the issue. The noise occurs at 12s, but the "drag" isn't as intense as it's been before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KW3b0LXj6A

The common elements I can deduce: left turn, accelerating from a stop or slow speed, slight incline

It sucks because a) I paid cash for this new car, and b) it's starting to scare the crap out of me, as I don't want to get rear ended!

If anyone has the same issue, or can help, I'd really appreciate your feedback.

Video really doesn't help, but if you can get it to do it in order to make the video, why can't you take a tech for a ride and get it to do it for him to hear?

It happens about once a week. I've been taking daily video footage, and got it on the third day.

Sounds like the lane departure warning and the smart city brake support automatic braking?

Do you have the Tech package?

Thanks for your feedback, Mazdadude.

Yes, I have the tech package. When this problem started, the smart city brake support "disabled" warning came on, which the dealership was able to pick up in the computer. But then they said everything checked out on a mechanical level. No warning lights now, but it still doesn't rule out the scbs. It's going in for "more extensive" testing next week, and hopefully they're able to diagnose.

Have you experienced what it feels like when the Lane departure/assist smart city brake support intervenes?

No, I haven't in this car. I think the system is not working properly. I have felt that feature in other cars, and it feels like a "correction," often accompanied by a normal beep/notification. The grinding/dragging sound that occurs with this doesn't seem normal. And it's only happened during left turns, inconsistently.

I just watched a video on SCBS, and the sound inside the car is the same. I don't know why the system is activating when I'm a) pulling into my driveway to an open garage, or b) when I'm getting on the freeway.

With the same sound, and that initial "SCBS disabled" notification, I'm going to have them check that system. Perhaps there's a faulty sensor.

Thank you again!

Back