Restore the Show Car... No Power Steering and Burning Oil

mohab

:
02 PROTEGE5
Hey guys,
I have been a long time reader but never posted as most of the stuff I needed was always found here!
I have a 2002 P5 which was probably a former show car. I say this because it is running a turbo, the car has dvd screens instead of mirrors in the visors, after market ecu and no power steering among another plethora of ridiculousness.

I picked up the car from a guy on kijiji who claims he purchased it from the original show car guy back in 2014 for $8400CAD. It's been sitting with him since then. I purchased it for a $1000 with the hope of fixing it myself and restoring the look of the car to original stock to make it a sleeper. He claims the car makes 335hp but I dont believe that. that would mean that the engine is properly built using forged internals, theres no way for me to really check if that is the case.

I purchased a new battery and replaced a fuel line because it sprung a leak the first time I started it. Next thing I know.. white/ blueish smoke everywhere... even in the engine bay and the sweet (not really) smell of burning oil. Popped the hood and voila, oil seeping through the exhaust manifold gasket (check pictures). The previous owner mentioned a leak but nothing about oil, one would assume it was simply an exhaust leak.. an easy replacement but nothing is ever that simple is it?

I tried to talk my way out of the deal because I knew this was NOT going to be an easy fix no matter how much confidence I had in myself and my buddies mechanical inclination (<is that a word?), the answer was of course, its sold as is and its no longer his headache. Long story short I am getting a quote from a trusted shop in the follow days for:
engine removal
rebuild (seals and gaskets)
piston rings (that's probably where the oil is burning or valve stem seals) (not charging labour)
timing belt and water pump since the engine's apart already (not charging labour)
clutch kit (not charging labour)
installing the power steering pump back with all the lines required as stock
putting it all back together.

Granted I am a student, I work part time and for a $1000 car, even if I spend another $1500 getting this thing running, I wouldn't hesitate because putting a turbo on another car would be a lot more expensive. I get my OSAP grant $$ in September, along with tax return $$ and part time security should net me enough to see the job through... here's praying it gets done under $2k.

EDIT: https://postimg.org/image/gwiblh3jt/
here the link of the leak, its damp enough to cause smoke in the engine bay and worst through the exhaust tip :(

Last edited:
Cool, although I can't see the pictures. This sounds very interesting. If the motor is blowing alot of oil, your cheapest option would be to sell all the turbo stuff and use the money to buy or rebuild the motor. Not exactly the funnest option, but it would be the cheapest and most reliable. I wanna see the pics though!

Wow! That's cool. But yeah, it's leaking everywhere, and there is some serious oil burning going on. Time for a tear if it's not valve stem seals.

Wow! That's cool. But yeah, it's leaking everywhere, and there is some serious oil burning going on. Time for a tear if it's not valve stem seals.

I'm thinking of doing the valve stem seals myself without taking the head out using the rope technique. going to purchase the seals from RockAuto, if that takes my problem away it'll save me a lot of money and headache! Otherwise I'll figure out the finance of a tear down/ rebuild !

I think there is much more going on here to think that valve seals is going to solve much. It may solve the smoke and oil coming out exh tip but you have more things to address.

Back