2016 CX-9 Hissing and Squeaky Brake

zoomsd

:
2016 Mazda CX-9 GT
We just returned from a ~1000 miles trip (500 miles each way). I can tell you it was the most comfortable drive ever with our CX-9 GT. I love it very much so far!

However, I noticed that the vehicle produced hissing noise when I applied the brake at the 60+mph after driving little over 100 miles on our way home (BTW, I stayed under 70mph all the time). Also, there was a squeaky noise when I hit the brake while driving down from the hill yesterday afternoon and on the straight road this morning. There is only 4500 miles on the otometer and road condition was perfect, all freeways or highways, local paved road w/o pothole.

Just wonder if anyone experienced the same problem.

Thanks.

We just returned from a ~1000 miles trip (500 miles each way). I can tell you it was the most comfortable drive ever with our CX-9 GT. I love it very much so far!

However, I noticed that the vehicle produced hissing noise when I applied the brake at the 60+mph after driving little over 100 miles on our way home (BTW, I stayed under 70mph all the time). Also, there was a squeaky noise when I hit the brake while driving down from the hill yesterday afternoon and on the straight road this morning. There is only 4500 miles on the otometer and road condition was perfect, all freeways or highways, local paved road w/o pothole.

Just wonder if anyone experienced the same problem.

Thanks.

Never had experienced that problem. Did you do a physical check on the disk brakes and pads? Brake fluid? How's the brakes when your applying it?I know some new brake pads produces that squeaky noise after install but that is a safety issue definitely and you should have it checked with your dealer.

Could it be a leaky brake booster? I recall many previous generation CX9 owners reporting hissing sound when applying brakes, turned out the brake boosters had a vacuum leak, there's a TSB on the previous gen CX9.

http://www.mazdaproblems.com/trends/hissing-brakes/

can easily be checked quickly with the help of another person: in a parking lot or driveway, pop the hood, start the car, put into drive
and slowly release brake pedal and then press brake, ask person standing outside to hear for hissing sound coming from under the
hood near steering wheel.

Last edited:
Thanks, Stryer and astriuminc! I will bring it to the dealership this weekend for them to take another look at it. They checked the brake as part of multi-point inspection when I had the oil change before the trip and everything looked good (as expected on the almost brand new vehicle).

Thanks, Stryer and astriuminc! I will bring it to the dealership this weekend for them to take another look at it. They checked the brake as part of multi-point inspection when I had the oil change before the trip and everything looked good (as expected on the almost brand new vehicle).

did dealer ever figure out what was the hissing sound ?

No, I dropped it there last Saturday. They tested but could not hear any noise. I mentioned to the Service Advisor the squeaky noise only occurs after driving for a little while, probably until the parts get hot. Hissing sound happened only one time when I was driving home from the long trip. I had not heard the hissing since then.

The vehicle is still at the dealership and they will test drive farther this weekend.

The Service and Part director just called back telling me he could not duplicate the issue after testing drive for a long distance. I will just have to take the vehicle back home, hoping the problem gone away.

The Service and Part director just called back telling me he could not duplicate the issue after testing drive for a long distance. I will just have to take the vehicle back home, hoping the problem gone away.

I had the same problem with the brake making sqealing sound when depress the brake. It dose not happen constantly .only happens time to time with speed over 50 and plus as I have noticed. The car has only 700 miles on it. I brought it in this morning to the dealer and have them look at it. Fortunately they could duplicate the problem and lubricated and resurfaced front two brakes. however, This evening it squeaked again and speed was around 65 miles getting off of the highway downhill but it happened only once so i am going to give it a time to see if it persists. Hope this will help.

Thanks, Sainthubby! I am still experiencing the squeaky sound occasionally. Unfortunately, nothing the dealer can do when they cannot duplicate the problem :-(

Thanks, Sainthubby! I am still experiencing the squeaky sound occasionally. Unfortunately, nothing the dealer can do when they cannot duplicate the problem :-(
It's the disk pad material which is making the squeaky noise. That's why sainthubby's CX-9 is still experiencing squeaky noise problem even after the dealer re-surfaced the brake disks. Unless your dealer, or if you escalate the issue to Mazda North American Operations, is / are willing to replace the disk pads, you'll have to live with the occasional squeaky noise until you need new pads.

The other possibility is the lack of lubricant grease on guide pins from factory which has been happening too often on CX-5. sainthubby's dealer apparently knows it and did the lubrication on those.

does the squeal sound like this ? previous CX-9's was notorious for bad brake boosters

My 2016 CX9 GT also has squeaky brakes, annoying as hell. I think it gets worse the colder it gets. I've had the dealer check it out a few times but just my luck it always happens to be warmer those days. It also makes a clunk sound the first brake after changing direction. The car is damn near perfect except for the annoying brake sounds that never seem to appear at the dealer.

My 2016 CX9 GT also has squeaky brakes, annoying as hell. I think it gets worse the colder it gets. I've had the dealer check it out a few times but just my luck it always happens to be warmer those days. It also makes a clunk sound the first brake after changing direction. The car is damn near perfect except for the annoying brake sounds that never seem to appear at the dealer.

Mine gets a slight squeak first thing in the morning, but it's just the corrosion from the moisture.

If your clunk is a one-time noise, just after start up, in drive (not reverse)...it's the ABS Self Check. All 3 of my Mazdas do this when I leave the driveway.

Back