2013 Grand Touring Headlights LED trouble

:
CX9 Grand Touring
The headlights on the 2013 CX9 Grand Touring have what I thought and what the Owners Manual calls, non maintainable internal Running Lights that only a dealer can repair. Looks like a reflective LED strip inside the headlight. The problem is, our passenger side comes on the goes out. I have the extended warranty that after 2 weeks of arguing with, has come back that the claim on the headlight was denied. Mazda dealer is telling us the whole headlight (HEADLAMP ASSY, RIGHT - 2013 MAZDA CX-9 (TK2451031) needs to be replaced at a cost of $1395.00. This is were it gets weird, Mazda Total Confidence Warranty has offered to pay the first $1000.00! WTH? I tried to explain to them the headlight is and electrical part and should be covered. Their offer stands. While waiting for the part to come in, the headlight is now working. sure enough, on the ride to the dealer the small strip within the headlamp is again out. I have found nothing on line if the different part or any problems. Im not sure that is what the problem is.

The headlights on the 2013 CX9 Grand Touring have what I thought and what the Owners Manual calls, non maintainable internal Running Lights that only a dealer can repair. Looks like a reflective LED strip inside the headlight. The problem is, our passenger side comes on the goes out. I have the extended warranty that after 2 weeks of arguing with, has come back that the claim on the headlight was denied. Mazda dealer is telling us the whole headlight (HEADLAMP ASSY, RIGHT - 2013 MAZDA CX-9 (TK2451031) needs to be replaced at a cost of $1395.00. This is were it gets weird, Mazda Total Confidence Warranty has offered to pay the first $1000.00! WTH? I tried to explain to them the headlight is and electrical part and should be covered. Their offer stands. While waiting for the part to come in, the headlight is now working. sure enough, on the ride to the dealer the small strip within the headlamp is again out. I have found nothing on line if the different part or any problems. Im not sure that is what the problem is.

Total BS from Mazda, that should be covered 100% by the extended warranty. Yeah, those daytime running LED's are expensive, there's no aftermarket options because they're only custom for the CX-9. At least, they're willing to pay the $1000, so you're looking at $395 which would still be less than you buying the new headlights and changing yourself, so I would just bite to bullet and let them fix it for $395. The whole front bumper has to come off to get the faulty headlights out.

The most probable cause is your probably have an LED printed circuit board that has gone bad, probably works for a while when cool and as it heats up it fails. No way to fix it except to replace the housing. You may check to see if there a loose connector somewhere but I doubt that's the cause.

Last edited:
Cars ready, Local shop told me he got the light down to a $98.00 balance (cheaper that the warranty deductible) Still feel this ought to be a warranty part for the future

Back