CX-5 takes the gold in Motortrends CUV test

jhu8

:
16 CX-5 GT AWD w/ Tech
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/mazda/cx-5/2016/small-crossover-comparison-big-test/

Good read here. I think the finishing paragraph sums up well why I chose the cx5 over all other cuvs, and I would imagine the reasons we all did. The cx5 just does everything well and is the one to beat imo. Motortrend agrees :)

"Our first-place finisher, by a nose, did everything just a little bit better than the Honda to earn the gold. Objectively, the Mazda CX-5 sports excellent fuel economy and crash scores, and it tops in instrumented performance testing. Subjectively, the Mazda had one of the nicest cabins and excellent ride quality, and most important, we really enjoyed driving it. Who says family haulers have to be boring? We sure dont, and thats why the Mazda CX-5 is our Big Test winner." (Motortrend, 2016)

Thanks for posting!
I love my CX-5 which now has about 10,000 completely worry free miles on it.
What I am finding is more people that I run into who own CR-Vibrators, Ford ECOstuff, Toyota Rav's are all about buying an appliance that comes with stuff in it and will never understand or care about driving dynamics..they are willing to buy a couch on wheels...
When we were looking to buy something we test drove just about everything, and just like my son who bought his Mazda3 before I got my CX-5, the minute I drove it I knew it was different...tight and responsive steering, good pickup, and cool looks...
Cool to see MT acknowledge why Mazda is different...

Good read. Thanks. A good effort considering the CX-5 is not the newest model out of them all but is still the best package. Keen to see the all new CX-5 next year.

I am happy to read this, however, I would note:

the CX-5 actually got 23.4/27.7/25.1 Real MPG.

Sorry, what was the CX-5 rated at on the highway? 30? That's what I thought...

Oh, and I doubt it was how they drove...

the RAV4 managed 24.5/30.3/26.8 Real MPG city/highway/combined, outperforming its EPA rating of 22/29/25 mpg by a fair margin.
The Escape got 21.6/32.6/25.5 Real MPG in our testing, improving overall on its 22/28/24 EPA score

The Honda and Subaru also failed to meet their EPA rating by a notable margin.

Yeah I'm not sure. I think as been stated, the awd system on the cx5 is more taxing on mpg, YET while still being more advanced. I think the cx5 awd kicks in and runs more than any of the other cuvs because of its predictive sense. For example in the rain, I bet the awd system kicks in a decent amount. I believe that because I consistently get worse gas mileage if it rains. Making me believe that the awd is kicking in. But that is totally fine!

The Honda and Subaru also failed to meet their EPA rating by a notable margin.

I have the 2.5L AWD and I recently went on a long trip up to Maine...I was extremely happy with not only my MPG but the handling and the quietness of the CX-5...we had 5 adults plus a Thule Force carrier up top and a Thule Transporter on my hitch loaded with gear for hiking and climbing..of course I'm recently coming from a 2013 Kia Sorento that had a big 6 and that handled like a couch on wheels so maybe I'm biased..
What's been interesting is that my MPG has increased as the car has more miles on it...and maybe I'm crazy but the steering, the handling, and the suspension has matured and the ride is even better now...
Signed
New Mazda Fan Boy

Yeah I'm not sure. I think as been stated, the awd system on the cx5 is more taxing on mpg, YET while still being more advanced. I think the cx5 awd kicks in and runs more than any of the other cuvs because of its predictive sense. For example in the rain, I bet the awd system kicks in a decent amount. I believe that because I consistently get worse gas mileage if it rains. Making me believe that the awd is kicking in. But that is totally fine!

I don't think that's true of all of them. Also, the reason you have less economy in the rain is because of drag on the tires. The CX5's AWD isn't any less efficient, etc. I think it's the lower (numerically higher) gearing that makes it turn higher rpm's that is the cause. I recently was made aware of that by someone on the forum here, and I now understand completely why the AWD model is rated so inefficiently (compared to the FWD model), as compared to my Jeep, which had a WAY more active AWD system (near 50/50 100% of the time) than the CX-5.

I have the 2.5L AWD and I recently went on a long trip up to Maine...I was extremely happy with not only my MPG but the handling and the quietness of the CX-5...we had 5 adults plus a Thule Force carrier up top and a Thule Transporter on my hitch loaded with gear for hiking and climbing..of course I'm recently coming from a 2013 Kia Sorento that had a big 6 and that handled like a couch on wheels so maybe I'm biased..
What's been interesting is that my MPG has increased as the car has more miles on it...and maybe I'm crazy but the steering, the handling, and the suspension has matured and the ride is even better now...
Signed
New Mazda Fan Boy

I don't think you're crazy, engines break in with time and do become a bit more efficient, and suspensions do settle. When I bought my Z06, Benny Hill actually told me the ride height over the next few months would decrease by 1/2" or so, as the suspension "took a set". This makes sense, if you understand springs.

I don't think you're crazy, engines break in with time and do become a bit more efficient, and suspensions do settle. When I bought my Z06, Benny Hill actually told me the ride height over the next few months would decrease by 1/2" or so, as the suspension "took a set". This makes sense, if you understand springs.

+1

Especially the Corvette fiberglass spring. That's why it comes with an adjustment to correct the height on each end of the spring.

Very Glad to see this! I’m new to the board. I’ve been doing my research and am fairly certain I WILL be buying a CX-5 sometime between April-November next year. I’m REALLY hoping they incorporate Apple Carplay before then. Its the ONE thing I think is missing

Correct! As stated in other posts about the AWD system when you have the wipers on the clutch packs in the rear are slightly more "engaged" allowing more torque to be transmitted to the rear.

Latest posts

Back