Hub and Bearing

Sailingsenses

:
Mazda, Protege5, Stock, 2002
Hello,

Can anyone advise me on what I'd need to buy to replace the driver side front hub and bearing? Apparently one of the studs just keeps spinning, and I was told to replace the entire hub as well as the bearing (even though the bearing is supposedly "fine").

I have ABS, in which case, will I also need the ABS wire? Some guidance and perhaps a how-to video, part numbers, suggested brands, or pictorial would be ideal, please.

-- Does anyone know what brand would be a close second to Mazda OE? Part numbers?
-- Should I simply do both front hubs and bearings? My car is old now, and it's always a "may as well" feeling, in terms of doing things in pairs.

I am considering doing this job on my own, but I've come to fear the worst when trying to take parts off...

Thank you, guys.

N

Here's my bearing replacement thread...

It can be a Huge PITA...

If it were me, I'd try to replace the single stud (if it's accessible.... I forget ??) ... Or tack weld the stud to hold it still so you can tighten it...

You would have to press out the hub to replace it which would wreck the bearing..

Use a quality bearing (or bearings) if you do a full replacement... It's too much labor to replace crap bearing.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123830659-Bearing-Replacement-With-Video&highlight=

Here's my bearing replacement thread...

It can be a Huge PITA...

If it were me, I'd try to replace the single stud (if it's accessible.... I forget ??) ... Or tack weld the stud to hold it still so you can tighten it...

You would have to press out the hub to replace it which would wreck the bearing..

Use a quality bearing (or bearings) if you do a full replacement... It's too much labor to replace crap bearing.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123830659-Bearing-Replacement-With-Video&highlight=

That's what I would do. Replace the stud when the bearing fails.

Hi all,

As far as I know, the bearing is fine and, in fact, it's rather new. It's the stud/hub that is shot...and continues to spin when doing tire changes and such.

Does anyone recommend a specific brand?

Thanks!
N

Timken for the bearing. The hub brand shouldn't matter much.

There is a chance that you can pull the rotor off and slip a new stud in without removing the hub, but I'm not sure if there's enough space. It's worth a try.

Briansmobile1 did a video recently where he ground part of the head off a stud so he could slip it in without pulling the hub, iirc. I don't know how good/bad an idea that is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last year I accidentally broke a stud left rear and was able to replace the stud with Mazda part number with only minor cursing and swearing.

Chiming in for parts reference...I recently replaced my hubs/bearings and I went with the Dorman hubs bought from AutoZone and SKF bearings bought off Amazon. I wasn't terribly picky about which brand to choose for the hubs, so I went with the Dorman hubs from AZ. As for the bearings, after reading several posts on here, I decided to go with quality bearings and eventually went with SKF - a little pricey up front, but worth it to me. It's been about 6 months now and both the hubs/bearings are still holding up well!

Back