"Set Power to Off" displayed after turning CX5 off

DeoreDX

:
2007 Mazda5
Not sure which sub forum to put this in so I'll try here. Let me know if it should be in a different one instead.

Have a 2014 CX-5 grand touring push button start with factory option remote start. Has just over 32k on the clock. Today when my wife parked the car and open the door she got a "Set Power to Off" warning like she did not turn the car off. But, all the radios dash etc looks like the car is off she just gets that warning when the door is opened. Brake was depressed and car in park when turning off. Nothing she could do would get that message to go away. Unfortunately when that message is present the doors won't lock. I went and pulled the negativel off the battery. Put the negativel back on after 30 seconds or so. Sat in the drivers seat pushed in the brake pedal car is in park. Start button lights up green each time I push the brake pedal in. I figure the brake pedal sensor is OK. Push start. Starts like normal. Still in park I push the brake in and turn the car off. Dash and radio and everything turns off but when I open the door I get the same message.
Maybe neutral safety switch?

Pull the neutral again. Start car up like normal. Put car in neutral. While brake pedal is depressed I turn the car off. I get a "Put car in P" message. Put car into park and message goes away. Open door and get the "Set Power to Off" message again. Obviously it seems to knows the difference between park and neutral when I turned it off... so maybe the Neutral safety switch isn't the issue.

Not sure what it could be? I figured Neutral safety switch or some type of brake pedal sensor but I'm not so sure now. I've got 4k left on my warranty but the two closest Mazda dealers are no longer Mazda dealers so a service call means a ~2hour drive one way. Just wanted to make sure where wasn't something quick I could check or try before making the drive.

Why do you press the brake pedal when turning the car off? I just put it in Park, remove foot from brake, press Power button to shut off. Done.

Probably force of habit from the Cadillac which required a brake pedal depressed in park to turn the car off. Just assumed the Mazda was the same.

Like many cars the CX-5 has off, accessory and on mode. You cycle between them by pressing the power button with your leg off the brake pedal.

While the engine is on:
* If you press the power button in neutral, the engine will turn off, but the car will remain in accessory mode, so the radio can be used etc.
* If you press the power button in park, it will turn completely off.

From accessory mode, make sure you shift to park then, with your leg off the brake, press the power button once to switch to on mode and once more to switch to off mode.

To skip accessory mode, shift to park and press the power button to go to off mode.

This is the expected behavior as explained in the manual, assuming your vehicle works as intended (which might not be the case).

Last edited:
I left the battery unplugged for a couple of hours and tried it again. We've had the car for over 2 years so this is obviously some new behavior. I can cycle through the ACC ON and what should be OFF. It acts as if it is turned off the radio and everything is totally off. But when I open the car door I get the set car to off message and can't lock the door. I've shut it off in park. In gear. In neutral. Doesn't matter. No matter howany times I push the start button I always get the same message.

32k miles still has warranty right? Let the dealer fix it.

Like I said since we first got our CX5 the two closest Mazda dealers are no longer Mazda dealers. So now it's a 105 mile drive one way to the closest dealer. if it's something I could quickly and cheaply fix myself I would rather spend $100 on a part than spending a day driving, sitting in the waiting area, and driving back.

Like I said since we first got our CX5 the two closest Mazda dealers are no longer Mazda dealers. So now it's a 105 mile drive one way to the closest dealer. if it's something I could quickly and cheaply fix myself I would rather spend $100 on a part than spending a day driving, sitting in the waiting area, and driving back.

Have you called to see if they can perform the work anyway? Even if they change brands they may still maintain a relationship with Mazda to service vehicles sold.

Sorry I must have scanned over that last part. So do you have a warranty on it?? (whistle)

j/k but anyway, it's almost like the car thinks it's still in ACC mode or something.

Maybe call the dealer, talk to the service manager, and describe the problem and see if they have any suggestions (maybe they have seen the problem before). I might also try replacing the batteries in the remote. Long shot, but can't hurt.

Recently encountered a problem with "Set to P to turn off power". My 2014 CX-5, would not totally turn off the ignition. Auxiliary power remained on.So radio etc. stayed on.
Doors would not lock and it would not shut off after 5 mins. It was fully in Park. I started and shifted into park several times. No help. My son turn the car around(to face slightly downhill in my driveway and it went off.
First time I encountered that and it has not done it since. However, I called the dealer at that time and spoke to my service adviser. He went back to the shop and the first technician he asked told him, he just fixed one of those.
He told me to kill the power, keep your foot on the brake and push the button. Jam(slightly harder than normal, I assume) the shift into park first.
He then said according to the tech., I needed to change the "Shift assembly".$468.00CAD parts and labour. He said he didn't exactly know what the part was.
I have been trying to look up that part, but it is confusing.
Set service appointment for June 24th, but trying to research it first.
Anyone know more about this, I would appreciate your input.
Thanks

⋯ We've had the car for over 2 years so this is obviously some new behavior.
This's the key. We offten assume a CX-5 owner doesn't know what he's supposed to do after 2 years of ownership doing the same steps, but don't suspect there're obvious issues from Mazda who're using bad parts. This issue has been discussed in 2 other threads in the last few days for 2014 CX-5's, and thanks to members who pointed to the cause and a TSB. Other than inferior "Switch Unit" in gear shift assembly, like madar and paris1 I also remember there's another push-button engine start/stop switch TSB for similar issues but can't find it right now.

Ignition Does Not Turn Off When Pressing START/STOP Button 2013-2014 Mazda
This concern may be caused by a worn switch unit.
To eliminate this concern, the switch unit material has been changed to improve wear resistance. Modified switch units have been established as new service parts.

2014 Touring electronics stay on after turning off engine
Bad engine Start switch
Can't find the original Mazda notification on this issue, but here's another internet reference to the problem:https://mazda.oemdtc.com/665/igniti...hen-pressing-startstop-button-2013-2014-mazda

Set shift to "P". Auxiliary power stays on.

Back