Camshaft Sensor

Natejnj1

:
Mazda, Protege 5 2003
Hello all. This is my first posting to the forum. I have an issue that has brewed up for some time. I had for a while, a very intermittent jolt that would happen when driving at highway speeds. It would happen about 4-5 times an hour or so. Finally one night, it jolted many more times and finally as I got to a red light, the car died. I was able to get it started one time, but had to run the rest of the red lights home to keep it from stalling. It was very low power, and I could barely get it above 25 miles an hour. As I came to a turn into the neighborhood, it died as I had to let off the gas and would never start again. It cranks fine, but there is no start. I have changed the plugs and ignition coils. I have also checked the fuel pump by disconnecting the return line and connecting a hose into a bottle. The gas flowed strong and filled the bottle quickly. The relay I have also checked and it is good. I have finally looked at the camshaft sensor, and the crankshaft sensor. It seems that I have no ground at the camshaft sensor. No idea why this would have broken, but to finish my long story, there is some confusion with the wire diagram. The diagram for the 2002 protege shows a three pin sensor, but the sensor itself is a 2 pin. I am pretty sure i am looking at the correct sensor, on the passenger side, front of the valve cover above the timing belt. Can anyone verify if this is correct and that the wire diagram is wrong? It does correctly show a three pin for the crank sensor. Also any idea which pin on the pcm the ground from the cam would be going to? Thanks for the help in advance!

...The diagram for the 2002 protege shows a three pin sensor, but the sensor itself is a 2 pin. I am pretty sure i am looking at the correct sensor, on the passenger side, front of the valve cover above the timing belt. Can anyone verify if this is correct and that the wire diagram is wrong? It does correctly show a three pin for the crank sensor. Also any idea which pin on the pcm the ground from the cam would be going to? Thanks for the help in advance!

Here's the diagram for the cam & crank sensors and plugs.

Looks like both sensors have two wires going to them with a shield wire as well.
The crank sensor has the shielding going into the sensor itself so it has a third pin for it.
The shielding for the cam sensor starts after the connector somewhere.

The signal from both sensors is very small and needs shielding to protect it from interference.

Check pins 85 & 86 from the ECU to the sensor and make sure the shield wire is grounded properly...

I had some similar issue when revving past 5k. I go the check engine light do cam sensor. Did some reading and wondered if the timing belt was a cause. The belt is around 30k miles and 3-4 years old so I just ordered a kit.

If the cam sensor picks up the cam a certain amount late or early it will go limp and trip cel.

I'm wondering if high rpm has more force in the belt and it stretches or something.

Il have the timing system replaced by next weekend and will check again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back