Replace rear wheel bearing - what am I missing?

:
'12 Mazda5 GT
:
‘17 CX-5 GT
Hello:

Looking for a "how to" on replacing the rear wheel bearing, actually the entire hub assembly, on a 2012 M5. I'm reasonably certain I know how this will go but just wanted to do a read through to see if there was anything to watch out for etc. However, when I search the HOW TO forum for "wheel bearing" I get 41 results NONE of which have anything to do with wheel bearings. Somebody MUST have posted this somewhere already, no? Can anybody post a link for it please?

Last edited:
Kinda new car, probably non on the forum had it fail.
I'd expect at least 4-5 more years prior to replacing mine, or am I too optimistic? :)

I just did this on a 2008 Mazda5 I purchased back in June. The car had 75,000 miles on it and I assumed I wouldn't have to worry about bearings for a while. Was surprised when my first highway ride revealed a roaring sound (test drive was all local roads in downtown Washington DC). It seemed to be coming from the front so I assumed it was a bad front bearing. After paying a shop to replace both front bearings (after they confirmed that is what the problem was), the noise was the same (so much for relying on the troubleshooting skills of a professional mechanic). No obvious indications that the rear bearings were bad, but the noise went away in a right turn, so I was pretty sure it was a bad right bearing.

I bought a pair of Timkens from Rock Auto and took care of the right side and the noise is now gone. I expected some difficulty with stuck fasteners, but had no major issues with them. I did get stuck for 3 hours with a hub that would not come off. I eventually lowered car down so the brake disk rested on some wood blocks (the disks were being replaced anyway), and I was able to start loosening the hub. I did do some online research and found some descriptions of the job, but no one mentioned this problem (search under Mazda3, which has the same chassis, and you may have more luck finding articles). The new hub slipped right in with no issues, so I guess there was just enough corrosion on the old hub to fuse it to the suspension arm. I have not tackled the left side yet, but I expect this to go easier as I now have some experience. Waiting for cooler weather to do it, as it makes no noise right now.

A couple of tips. While it will be easier to remove the hub bolts with the rear shock taken off, it is not required. There is a special torx socket required for the hub bolts, I can't remember the size, but I want to say either T45 or T50. The ABS sensor requires a special female torx socket as well, but found I could remove it with a regular socket, as it had no real torque holding it in. Replacing the rear brake disks at the same time may be a good idea, as the cost is minimal, it removes a step of the disassembly, and they may be nearing their replacement point anyway. I would use either OEM hub or a Timken. The Timken is about $40 less OEM, but I found that the ABS retainer nut needs modification to work with the original factory bolt (there is supposed to be a hole for the bolt to go all the way through the plastic plate, but Timken does not fabricate it this way, so I had to drill a hole in the plastic behind the nut, being careful not to damage the ABS ring). The other option is to just purchase a new standard bolt that isn't as long. I would have done this if I knew in advance it was needed.

I don't know why mine was bad. The chassis has low-ish miles, there wasn't really any major rusting on the chassis to indicate severe conditions, and there was no indication that the rear wheel hit a curb or pothole.

While I like the packaging and concept of the Mazda5, I am a bit disappointed with some of the engineering details of Mazda's. Just wait until your driver door power lock fails (and it will). Another thing I knew was bad when I bought the car, but assumed it would be a simple fix (based on past experiences with a BMW power lock). Not the case, as I needed to purchase an entire new door lock assembly, since the design of the part allows no repair.

Jim

While I like the packaging and concept of the Mazda5, I am a bit disappointed with some of the engineering details of Mazda's. Just wait until your driver door power lock fails (and it will). Another thing I knew was bad when I bought the car, but assumed it would be a simple fix (based on past experiences with a BMW power lock). Not the case, as I needed to purchase an entire new door lock assembly, since the design of the part allows no repair.

Jim

If you want to take the time, you can fix the lock actuators. See http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123761729-Sliding-Door-Lock-Actuator-Replacement/page2

Thanks for the responses. My 2008 had 135K miles on it when I sold it with original wheel bearings, so yeah, I was a little surprised by this one at ~80K miles.

Check with a local Mazda dealer and their price is only C$208 for the OEM hub assembly. So, given the cheap crap out there, plus potential hassle of not an EXACT fit thus requiring modification etc., plus our only car being disabled for longer etc., I might just spend the money and go with OEM.

So today I pulled the wheel, removed the caliper, and took a look at the hub/bearing...oh yeah, it is TOAST! So it's an "easy" four bolts to swap the hub. They seemed to be Torx T-50 bolts and of course fully rusted. However, they are supposedly T-45 so I've soaked them in WD-40 but I only have a 3/8" drive torx sockets and these buggers are going to need some serious reefing on so I need a 1/2" drive T-45 or 50. It isn't super easy access due to the control arm, spring, shock, and hub mounting "flange" all getting in the way but not the worst I've seen either. It's also awkward when the car is jacked up and not up on a hoist. I may just pay someone to do it as I can't take any chances with these bolts.

Just for any body interested, I checked with a local Mazda dealer (GTA/Toronto Ontario) and they quoted me 2-2.5 hours @ $111/hr. so $210 part + $220-$275 labour it's a $430-$485 job + tax...

I won't be getting them to do it at that kinda time estimate.

Last edited:
Back