Metallic sound when releasing brakes

rednakes

:
2012 Mazda 5 GT
I've had an annoying braking issue on my 2012 Mazda 5 since Day 1. Sometimes when I release the brakes, I hear a distinct metallic "clunk" sound coming from near the bottom of the pedal. When the car was within warranty I had the dealership inspect it, but they couldn't figure out the root cause. They even took my car in for a day to replace a part (I don't remember what it was but I can check my receipts later to confirm) but that didn't resolve it either.

Basically it's a solid clunk sound heard when the brakes are released after braking at any speed. It's intermittent though, so sometimes I don't hear it.

I did search around the web for this issue and read that it could due to a lack of grease on the driveline, or warped rotors (which I actually did have, but maybe it's coincidence - the stock rotors are apparently crap), but I cannot determine what it can be. I have not read of any other Mazda 5 owners with this issue. Also I replaced the stock rotors and front brakes recently and that didn't make the problem go away either.

Anyone with the same issue, or suggestions?

Weird places to look/check.

Engine mounts for drivetrain movement when the brakes are released (does it clunk louder with quick release from hard braking?)
Suspension bushing deterioration in lower control arms
Ball joint deterioration

Caliper slider pins greased?
Caliper bracket bolts torqued
Proper pads/shims
Caliper sprigs at proper tension

Back