why does my cigarette lighter input does not power off when the car is turned off?

:
2015 Mazda3
My old car would turn off the cigarette lighter input when the car is off. I found out my 2015 Mazda 3 doesn't because the radar detector that's plugged in continues to work. I know this eats battery overnight so I'm trying to figure out if there is a way for me or the dealership to stop the cigarette lighter input from continuously working when the car is turned off.

I usually just plug in and plug out the radar detector but I'd prefer it plugged in at all times so I could just start car and drive off.

Last edited:
It's wired that way, and many find it annoying. I prefer it power down, but someone at Mazda didn't see it that way, I guess.

Sent from the wrong side of the tracks.

The lighter would have to be rewired so that it is powered down when the ignition is turned off. An auto electric shop should be able to do this. The dealership may not, as they often frown on modification requests.

It should be pretty straightforward to re-wire the cigarette lighter to turn off with the vehicle by installing a relay, but if you are going to do that why stop there and not just have a new power outlet wired in that you can plug your radar detector into and hide the wires?

its as simple as finding an ACC power wire (usually behind the radio) and tapping into it or by plugging an **ADD A FUSE** into the fuse panel for something that uses ACC power and running wires to the battery and then using a relay to power a new outlet such at this that you can hide anywhere in the vehicle. I have several hidden throughout my vehicle running various things such as a dash cam, satellite radio, and a cell phone booster. All hidden out of sight, making the installation look much cleaner and keeping my cigarette lighter free of a phone charger or something else.

Here is a basic example of what you could do (except replace dash cam with radar detector)

You could also easily install a switch in case you need to turn off power to the device without disconnecting anything from the battery

If you don't feel you have the knowledge to DIY this, any reputable car stereo type place should be able to easily do that for you.

Back