Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 CX5 GT Needs new pads

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD, Liquid Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Robotaz View Post
    That's amazing. I've never had to replace pads on any car with less than 100K miles in 28 years of driving and having owned probably 20+ vehicles in the family.

Something sounds terribly wrong.
    Mazda pads are thin and don't last that long in my experience.

2017 CX-5 SportNav 2.2 diesel auto

I was 17 years testing and developing friction material and there are some weird and wonderful statements scattered through this thread. To start with, the thickness of the pad is determined by the space between the calliper piston and the rotor. The thickness of the CX-5 pad and backplate is 15.9mm and as a comparison, a RAV4 pad is 17.5. Thats 1.6mm or 1/16Ē. Thinner, yes but not enough to make the difference stated above.

Rates of wear are determined largely by temperature as that is what breaks the resin binder system down. The rate of wear is exponential so doubling the temperature wonít just double the rate of wear, it will be something more (could be double or triple) but they donít stay the same so repeating getting them hot might produce more wear and a long period of highway might reduce it. In choosing a friction material, vehicle manufacturers will look at hundreds of test results under a wide range of conditions. The emphasis on pad performance has changed and more recently it is based on performance and not life. Some vehicle builders are big on black dust and some ignore it. The main thing for most these days are; refinement - things like pedal feel, noise, creep groan (the groaning noise you get if you let the vehicle creep at the lights) etc. The legal demands for performance have gone through the roof so as I said, life is much less important and the vehicle manufacturers are usually content with life from 10,000 to 80,000 miles depending on duty and if the car sees very light use that might climb well up as some have experienced. Long life can have its own problems. Pads that wear quickly keep the rotor clean and true and the calliper enjoys work and will function best when the duty keeps the parts moving. Just like a garden gate that doesnít see use, it will start to seize up and make noises. The discs can start to corrode and they will suffer run out as a result of dirt and deposits of friction material spread unevenly on the surface.

Chris TH talks of these so called ďperformance padsĒ. There are many available but few are worth the money paid for them. To understand why you need to understand the pad construction. It is made up of roughly 60% fibre - this is the framework that holds it together and holds all the other ingredients in a random dispersion. There is then friction modifiers - lubricants like carbon reduce noise and stabilise performance, abrasives like zircon and silica increase friction. Some of these ingredients are active at different temperatures so provide stability performance throughout the range of working temperature. Finally, a resin system of some sort binds it all together. These are oil based and are what stink and smoke if you get the pad hot. Performance pads use various fibres from steel to man made fibres like rock wool and ceramics. Steel is cheap and is what is in the standard pads. It is very strong and withstands sheer force but it is corrosive and can cause the pads to stick to the rotor after rain or washing. To find an alternative you have to look at the man made stuff. Kevlar is good but about 40X more expensive than steel. Rockwool and ceramic fibre is made by producing a solid block then thrashing it to bits with rollers or shot. It then ďfibrillatesĒ like cotton candy and then it will function like steel fibre or the asbestos that has long gone. So what about these performance pads? A lot are nothing more than normal steel based pads but are baked longer or twice. This has the effect of super curing the resin and may provide some extra life and performance as the fillers are less likely to burn out. The man made fibres may give some benefit but not really that much. Clever marketing and fancy packaging help justify the cost and inspire the placebo effect just like some fuel additives. They also have a downside in that when longer baked or encapsulated in very durable fibre (you guys say fiber, right), they often donít perform very well at normal operating temperature. They might satisfy the ego of a normal road use enthusiast but they really donít justify the cost.

Why have they worn out quickly in the OPs CX-5? Probably because they been driven at a slightly higher duty level and because it may be one of the newer materials in the 2016 model that meets all the global requirements for braking. Mazda might swap them as a gesture but they arenít obliged to as they are considered normal wearing parts. Mine are about half worn at 8000 miles and I am completely satisfied as I cane them over the hilly route to work. As a result, my discs are dead true, I donít get noise and the callipers slide as free as a bird. Iíve already got a set of pads ready to pop in when the winter wheels come off in April. The cost the equivalent of $50 and Iím dead happy at that. The brakes on my Cx-5 are the best Iíve ever had on any car and when I hurtle down a 20% grade at 70mph I expect them to wear out. Stopping a ton and half at the bottom of that hill is absolutely effortless.
    Last edited by Anchorman; 01-01-2017 at 08:08 PM.

CX5 Akera 2.2 Diesel

That was very informative.

However, the OP's pads aren't worn out.

All he wants is a spare set to carry with him so sometime down the track when he DOES need to replace his pads, he has them handy.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow 2016 CX5 GT Needs new pads

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    That was very informative.

However, the OP's pads aren't worn out.

All he wants is a spare set to carry with him so sometime down the track when he DOES need to replace his pads, he has them handy.
    I was wondering why people missed that ⋯

Well the title of the thread is incorrect then. That might be why people missed it.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow 2016 CX5 GT Needs new pads

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorman View Post
    Well the title of the thread is incorrect then. That might be why people missed it.
    Yeah the title is indeed misleading. I wasn't aware that either until Moonlighter pointed out.

And we appreciate your very informative information about brake pads too!

Registered Member

2015 CX5 GT AWD

When did y'all change out pads? Brake fluid?

I'm at 40k and brake performance is getting a little annoying. Dealer recommended brake fluid swap. All I can tell is the fluid is much darker, and my pedal travels further. Dealer also told me my pads were in the 4-6 range - yellow on the scale. I can clearly see through the wheels my back pads are more worn than the front. I feel like I can get another 20k from that fronts.

I'm swapping fluid and rear pads soon. Would like to get a set that lasts a lot longer. I plan on getting a couple quotes and hopefully finding a longer lasting pad...

Any recs for longer lasting pads?

My car is driven short and hard in the city, so I understand my brakes will wear faster than a highway commuter, but 40k seems way too early.

I did love the performance of the brakes, just like I loved the performance of the Toyo a23's that came on the car. However, I feel like OEM tires and brakes have worn far too quick, so id like to replace them with more durable options, even if it makes the ride feel less sporty.

Brake fluid should be changed very 2 years and I’ll be lucky to get 20k miles out of my pads. Keep in mind that pad add disc wear go hand in hand and if you get something that won’t wear you will probably end up with lower brake performance.

Registrierte Benutzer Chris_Top_Her's Avatar
    Donated: $40
    CX-3, CX-5 & CX-9 Moderator

'15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

Good info. The stoptechs I bought are just basic rotors/pads.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Top_Her View Post
    Good info. The stoptechs I bought are just basic rotors/pads.
    Oh, OK Chris, I didn't recognise the brand.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5, 2.0 Manual Transmission

I rotated my tires yesterday. Checked the rear pads in the process. I replaced my first set at 35,000 miles. I now have 20,000 on the replacement pads. The replacement which are Mazda pads are wearing much better than the first set. My guess is I will get at least 50,000 miles on these pads. The front still have very little wear at 55,000 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by timberstx View Post
    I rotated my tires yesterday. Checked the rear pads in the process. I replaced my first set at 35,000 miles. I now have 20,000 on the replacement pads. The replacement which are Mazda pads are wearing much better than the first set. My guess is I will get at least 50,000 miles on these pads. The front still have very little wear at 55,000 miles.
    Pad wear isn’t always linear because the thinner they get, the less they are able to dissipate heat through the interface with the disc. You might find they start to wear faster towards the end. As is always the case, there are exceptions! Sometimes they start to stick in the callipers if the wear rate is low. This changes the balance between front and rear and the fronts take on more work. We used to have fully instrumented cars which would measure it all out on long term test.

this is a known issue for 2013-2014
    refer to TSB # 04-005/15
    it should be covered under warranty

applies to: 2013-2014 CX-5 with VINs lower than JM3 KE******401869 (produced before Oct. 9, 2013)
    TheMAN
    '01 BJFP MT
    '05 BK3P HB AT
    '16 BMYFS AT

For Protege and Mazda3 info, come see the Protege FAQ

Registered Member

2015 CX5 GT AWD

I noticed mazda has 2 oem pads - regular and a "value line". Wonder if value pads are what it comes with factory? Or used to before they had issues with earlier model pad wear.... I don't know, just thinking out loud. Would value line be different composition? Thinner? What makes them a value?

Dealer quoted me $75 a set for front and rear pads. That's about what they'd cost me from Mazda med center. Labor is $144 a set. Seems reasonable. Feel like brake shop could do 40-50$ pads around $100 labor. We'll see.

Registered Member
    Donated: $15

2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by mashburned View Post
    I noticed mazda has 2 oem pads - regular and a "value line". Wonder if value pads are what it comes with factory? Or used to before they had issues with earlier model pad wear.... I don't know, just thinking out loud. Would value line be different composition? Thinner? What makes them a value?

Dealer quoted me $75 a set for front and rear pads. That's about what they'd cost me from Mazda med center. Labor is $144 a set. Seems reasonable. Feel like brake shop could do 40-50$ pads around $100 labor. We'll see.
    Installation by dealer usually carries a lifetime warranty on the pads, not including labor...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast