2016 CX5 GT Needs new pads

:
K2500 Diesel Suburban; 2016 CX5 GT
Looking to order pads for my 2016 CX5 Grand Touring. Called the dealer and $118 for the front set.. WOW. Amazon has them for $58 and list them as OEM K0Y1-33-28ZA-MV from Avondale Mazda. They list as fitting 2013-2016 but I've read on this site that 2016's are different? Anyone know the part number for front 2016 CX5 GT? Also looking to get rears too so if you know the part number please post. Also Anyone know a good online site to purchase pads?

Thanks
Steve

That's amazing. I've never had to replace pads on any car with less than 100K miles in 28 years of driving and having owned probably 20+ vehicles in the family.

Something sounds terribly wrong.

Check out sponsor above Med Center. Others have had rear pads go before fronts...

I wonder if caliper slide pins weren't adequately lubricated? I went through and did all mine months back. Some were nearly dry and some had grease. A pretty easy job to tackle if you already have the tires off for a rotation.

I don't know if I need new pads or not. I want to have a set on hand so when I am rotating my tires I have them IF needed. For those that have purchased pads for your 2016 can you share the model numbers?

Thanks

I just checked Med Center but they don't list 2016 models??

Sorry I can't help on part #... other than someone who has had some warranty work and can post part numbers from the work order you may have to call dealer to confirm. I don't recollect many swapping pads yet.

Unless you have uneven pad wear it is possible to see pad depth through inspection hole on caliper with a small mirror and flashlight.

Is your brake fluid reservoir level down quite a bit too?

image_13153.jpg

Thanks. Avondale Mazda is where I saw them. Does anyone that owns a 2016 know if those are the latest pads?

My 2014 CX5 FWD rear pads are approx. 20% worn at 26,000 miles. As Robotas stated; something is terrible wrong. Check to see if brake fluid level has dropped significantly and do a proper pad thickness measurement. Ed

I called Med Center Mazda and was told they changed the pads for 2016 KAYO2648Z Tried googling the part and nothing but overseas companies. I just rotated my tires and plenty of pad left all around after 30K miles. Just like to find the right set to keep on hand. Maybe I'll call the local dealer again and see what they say. Guess there were problems that got corrected in the 2016 models.

My 2014 CX5 FWD rear pads are approx. 20% worn at 26,000 miles. As Robotas stated; something is terrible wrong. Check to see if brake fluid level has dropped significantly and do a proper pad thickness measurement. Ed

This is also my experience with pads. Most of my miles are highway so YMMV.

Keep in mind that almost all brake service centers give a "lifetime warranty" on the pads. There's a reason they're so confident. It's because they last forever.

Since my earlier post I was thinking about my F150 with 312,000 miles on it. I replaced the pads after some very heavy towing in 1998 at 180,000 miles. The pads are still fine 18 years and 132,000 miles later. They have at least half the pad left.

I just replaced the rear pads on my 2014 with 46k miles. Nothing was terribly wrong, I did find it odd that the rears went before the fronts but that could be explained by my driving or towing my kayak trailer around.

Get the stoptech pads, they are about the same price and thicker and no noise too. I replaced my front/rear with stoptech preferred (basic) rotors and posi quiet pads

That's amazing. I've never had to replace pads on any car with less than 100K miles in 28 years of driving and having owned probably 20+ vehicles in the family.

Something sounds terribly wrong.

Mazda pads are thin and don't last that long in my experience.

I was 17 years testing and developing friction material and there are some weird and wonderful statements scattered through this thread. To start with, the thickness of the pad is determined by the space between the calliper piston and the rotor. The thickness of the CX-5 pad and backplate is 15.9mm and as a comparison, a RAV4 pad is 17.5. Thats 1.6mm or 1/16. Thinner, yes but not enough to make the difference stated above.

Rates of wear are determined largely by temperature as that is what breaks the resin binder system down. The rate of wear is exponential so doubling the temperature wont just double the rate of wear, it will be something more (could be double or triple) but they dont stay the same so repeating getting them hot might produce more wear and a long period of highway might reduce it. In choosing a friction material, vehicle manufacturers will look at hundreds of test results under a wide range of conditions. The emphasis on pad performance has changed and more recently it is based on performance and not life. Some vehicle builders are big on black dust and some ignore it. The main thing for most these days are; refinement - things like pedal feel, noise, creep groan (the groaning noise you get if you let the vehicle creep at the lights) etc. The legal demands for performance have gone through the roof so as I said, life is much less important and the vehicle manufacturers are usually content with life from 10,000 to 80,000 miles depending on duty and if the car sees very light use that might climb well up as some have experienced. Long life can have its own problems. Pads that wear quickly keep the rotor clean and true and the calliper enjoys work and will function best when the duty keeps the parts moving. Just like a garden gate that doesnt see use, it will start to seize up and make noises. The discs can start to corrode and they will suffer run out as a result of dirt and deposits of friction material spread unevenly on the surface.

Chris TH talks of these so called performance pads. There are many available but few are worth the money paid for them. To understand why you need to understand the pad construction. It is made up of roughly 60% fibre - this is the framework that holds it together and holds all the other ingredients in a random dispersion. There is then friction modifiers - lubricants like carbon reduce noise and stabilise performance, abrasives like zircon and silica increase friction. Some of these ingredients are active at different temperatures so provide stability performance throughout the range of working temperature. Finally, a resin system of some sort binds it all together. These are oil based and are what stink and smoke if you get the pad hot. Performance pads use various fibres from steel to man made fibres like rock wool and ceramics. Steel is cheap and is what is in the standard pads. It is very strong and withstands sheer force but it is corrosive and can cause the pads to stick to the rotor after rain or washing. To find an alternative you have to look at the man made stuff. Kevlar is good but about 40X more expensive than steel. Rockwool and ceramic fibre is made by producing a solid block then thrashing it to bits with rollers or shot. It then fibrillates like cotton candy and then it will function like steel fibre or the asbestos that has long gone. So what about these performance pads? A lot are nothing more than normal steel based pads but are baked longer or twice. This has the effect of super curing the resin and may provide some extra life and performance as the fillers are less likely to burn out. The man made fibres may give some benefit but not really that much. Clever marketing and fancy packaging help justify the cost and inspire the placebo effect just like some fuel additives. They also have a downside in that when longer baked or encapsulated in very durable fibre (you guys say fiber, right), they often dont perform very well at normal operating temperature. They might satisfy the ego of a normal road use enthusiast but they really dont justify the cost.

Why have they worn out quickly in the OPs CX-5? Probably because they been driven at a slightly higher duty level and because it may be one of the newer materials in the 2016 model that meets all the global requirements for braking. Mazda might swap them as a gesture but they arent obliged to as they are considered normal wearing parts. Mine are about half worn at 8000 miles and I am completely satisfied as I cane them over the hilly route to work. As a result, my discs are dead true, I dont get noise and the callipers slide as free as a bird. Ive already got a set of pads ready to pop in when the winter wheels come off in April. The cost the equivalent of $50 and Im dead happy at that. The brakes on my Cx-5 are the best Ive ever had on any car and when I hurtle down a 20% grade at 70mph I expect them to wear out. Stopping a ton and half at the bottom of that hill is absolutely effortless.

Last edited:
That was very informative.

However, the OP's pads aren't worn out.

All he wants is a spare set to carry with him so sometime down the track when he DOES need to replace his pads, he has them handy.

That was very informative.

However, the OP's pads aren't worn out.

All he wants is a spare set to carry with him so sometime down the track when he DOES need to replace his pads, he has them handy.
I was wondering why people missed that ⋯ :)

Well the title of the thread is incorrect then. That might be why people missed it.
Yeah the title is indeed misleading. I wasn't aware that either until Moonlighter pointed out. ;)

And we appreciate your very informative information about brake pads too!

Back