2016 CX5 GT Needs new pads

When did y'all change out pads? Brake fluid?

I'm at 40k and brake performance is getting a little annoying. Dealer recommended brake fluid swap. All I can tell is the fluid is much darker, and my pedal travels further. Dealer also told me my pads were in the 4-6 range - yellow on the scale. I can clearly see through the wheels my back pads are more worn than the front. I feel like I can get another 20k from that fronts.

I'm swapping fluid and rear pads soon. Would like to get a set that lasts a lot longer. I plan on getting a couple quotes and hopefully finding a longer lasting pad...

Any recs for longer lasting pads?

My car is driven short and hard in the city, so I understand my brakes will wear faster than a highway commuter, but 40k seems way too early.

I did love the performance of the brakes, just like I loved the performance of the Toyo a23's that came on the car. However, I feel like OEM tires and brakes have worn far too quick, so id like to replace them with more durable options, even if it makes the ride feel less sporty.

Brake fluid should be changed very 2 years and I’ll be lucky to get 20k miles out of my pads. Keep in mind that pad add disc wear go hand in hand and if you get something that won’t wear you will probably end up with lower brake performance.

Good info. The stoptechs I bought are just basic rotors/pads.

I rotated my tires yesterday. Checked the rear pads in the process. I replaced my first set at 35,000 miles. I now have 20,000 on the replacement pads. The replacement which are Mazda pads are wearing much better than the first set. My guess is I will get at least 50,000 miles on these pads. The front still have very little wear at 55,000 miles.

I rotated my tires yesterday. Checked the rear pads in the process. I replaced my first set at 35,000 miles. I now have 20,000 on the replacement pads. The replacement which are Mazda pads are wearing much better than the first set. My guess is I will get at least 50,000 miles on these pads. The front still have very little wear at 55,000 miles.

Pad wear isn’t always linear because the thinner they get, the less they are able to dissipate heat through the interface with the disc. You might find they start to wear faster towards the end. As is always the case, there are exceptions! Sometimes they start to stick in the callipers if the wear rate is low. This changes the balance between front and rear and the fronts take on more work. We used to have fully instrumented cars which would measure it all out on long term test.

this is a known issue for 2013-2014
refer to TSB # 04-005/15
it should be covered under warranty

applies to: 2013-2014 CX-5 with VINs lower than JM3 KE******401869 (produced before Oct. 9, 2013)

I noticed mazda has 2 oem pads - regular and a "value line". Wonder if value pads are what it comes with factory? Or used to before they had issues with earlier model pad wear.... I don't know, just thinking out loud. Would value line be different composition? Thinner? What makes them a value?

Dealer quoted me $75 a set for front and rear pads. That's about what they'd cost me from Mazda med center. Labor is $144 a set. Seems reasonable. Feel like brake shop could do 40-50$ pads around $100 labor. We'll see.

I noticed mazda has 2 oem pads - regular and a "value line". Wonder if value pads are what it comes with factory? Or used to before they had issues with earlier model pad wear.... I don't know, just thinking out loud. Would value line be different composition? Thinner? What makes them a value?

Dealer quoted me $75 a set for front and rear pads. That's about what they'd cost me from Mazda med center. Labor is $144 a set. Seems reasonable. Feel like brake shop could do 40-50$ pads around $100 labor. We'll see.

Installation by dealer usually carries a lifetime warranty on the pads, not including labor...

Yes they do have lifetime warranty. Independent shops around here also offer the same lifetime pad warranty.

I'll gladly pay a little more to get my car completely serviced in one shop, especially while I'm under warranty.

I dont know what mazda used initially. But after having problems with my 1990 mazda 626 brakes when using parts store pads. I switched to Mazda Value line pads. The quality is very good, and I never had any issue like the after market pads. The after market would always warp rotors in less than a year. Never had a warped rotor after switching to the value pads.
I drove that mazda for 25 years and almost 400,000 miles. The last 200,000 miles were with the value pads.

Get the stoptech pads, they are about the same price and thicker and no noise too. I replaced my front/rear with stoptech preferred (basic) rotors and posi quiet pads

Mind sharing your thought on those centric posi quiet pads? I think I read somewhere they don't stop quite as good as stock, this true?

I found that aftermarket pads took much more braking to get up to temp than stock pads do. I *want* the pads to get up to temp immediately for street driving, so I can emergency-stop qucker.

My 2014 CX-5 has 45K on it. Front/Rear is at 50%. Wifey drives that one most of the time. It has at least a year left before I check it again.
My 2014.5 CX-5 has 41K on it. Front/Rear is at 40%. I drive it, hence the difference. I'll change pads this fall the soonest.

Now, why do some of you change pads @20K is beyond me. Do you guys constantly race?

In any case, I've had good luck with Wagner Ceramics in the past. Will try it on my CX-5 when time comes.

I dont know what mazda used initially. But after having problems with my 1990 mazda 626 brakes when using parts store pads. I switched to Mazda Value line pads. The quality is very good, and I never had any issue like the after market pads. The after market would always warp rotors in less than a year. Never had a warped rotor after switching to the value pads.
I drove that mazda for 25 years and almost 400,000 miles. The last 200,000 miles were with the value pads.

just FYI, yes I agree with you that some pads are more harsher than others and tend to warp rotors but
the main reason rotors "warp" is because of not using a torque wrench when tightening wheels,

ALWAYS use a "star" pattern when tightening and a torque wrench for wheel nuts, it amazes me how many auto shops don't use torque wrenches, they just use those impact air wrenches and that's it.......

only those who use torque wrenches regularly when rotating tires realize how bad "tightening by feel" really is, I set the torque wrench per OEM specs and it's amazing when you think a wheel nut is tight enough how much more torque you need for the torque wrench to click.... I learned the hard way from previous cars, warped rotors constantly until I started using the torque wrench, no warp rotors ever since.....

hopes this helps anyone else from warped rotors

http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/article_archive/results/details?id=1787

Last edited:
I have a 2014 GT and after a major service last week the dealer suggested I replace my pads (& rotors) as the pads only had 3 mm(just under 1/8 inch) left on all the pads. Now I gotta say that I was shocked to hear this as I have only done 25,000 miles. I don't tow a trailer and don't ride the brake pedal. I 'd like to hear further comments on previous suggestions that: factory pads are a tad thinner than replacement pads, and lower quality. Kind of reminds me of the OEM TOYO tires I originally had...great ride but wore out way too quickly!! I must crawl under the car and investigate further myself as it seems odd that the front pads are wearing at the same rate as the rears on my vehicle(let alone down to 3mm on any of them), which is contrary to what others have suggested. Has anyone else had to replace pads (&rotors) at 25K? If I indeed have to replace them I don't think I'd get the dealer to do it...not for the $1130 they quoted me!! Are ceramic pads the best overall to go with on a CX-5 if I look aftermarket? If so, what brand is best?

Last edited:
I have a 2014 GT and after a major service last week the dealer suggested I replace my pads (& rotors) as the pads only had 3 mm(just under 1/8 inch) left on all the pads. Now I gotta say that I was shocked to hear this as I have only done 25,000 miles. I don't tow a trailer and don't ride the brake pedal. I 'd like to hear further comments on previous suggestions that: factory pads are a tad thinner than replacement pads, and lower quality. Kind of reminds me of the OEM TOYO tires I originally had...great ride but wore out way too quickly!! I must crawl under the car and investigate further myself as it seems odd that the front pads are wearing at the same rate as the rears on my vehicle(let alone down to 3mm on any of them), which is contrary to what others have suggested. Has anyone else had to replace pads (&rotors) at 25K? If I indeed have to replace them I don't think I'd get the dealer to do it...not for the $1130 they quoted me!! Are ceramic pads the best overall to go with on a CX-5 if I look aftermarket? If so, what brand is best?
Your suspicion to your dealer is legit. Do take at least one rear tire off and check the pad thickness by yourself. I've to admit it's not easy to see the thickness on these pads even with a flashlight shinning into the check hole. Or you can always seek a second opinion from any reputable brake shop to verify.

Unless you are heavy stop and go or do a lot of high speed stops 25,000 miles is way to soon for worn out pads. Since you are in Canada some have reported rusted (by salt) slide pens and/or lack of lub on pens that caused the pads to drag and cause quick wear so check out your rear pads. I have had good luck replacing oem pads without turning or replacing rotors if you do it prior to pad wear out and take it easy for the first few stops as the pads adjust to the rotors. Not applicable if you have pulsing on stops now...

Unless you are heavy stop and go or do a lot of high speed stops 25,000 miles is way to soon for worn out pads. Since you are in Canada some have reported rusted (by salt) slide pens and/or lack of lub on pens that caused the pads to drag and cause quick wear so check out your rear pads. I have had good luck replacing oem pads without turning or replacing rotors if you do it prior to pad wear out and take it easy for the first few stops as the pads adjust to the rotors. Not applicable if you have pulsing on stops now...

I am not a heavy braker at all which is what has mystified me as to the reason for the premature pad wear. I see that there is a TSB regarding 2013-2014 models where rust due to road salt can cause the outer rear pads in particular to slightly lock on causing premature wear, BUT, this problem will only be rectified by Mazda if the vehicle is within the 3 year/ 36,000 mile warranty. Just my luck, my warranty ran out 1 month ago!!

Back