New Engine, Transmission, Timing Chain and Transfer case

Mwith6

:
Mazda CX-9 Touring
I have a 2013 CX-9 AWD Touring. Bought used from reputable dealer with 35k miles, I put on 15k in a little over 2 years. My check eng light came on, took to Mazda dealer. First said it was bad Transfer Case, over the next few weeks I get more phone calls for more fixes. All covered under warranty, getting a new engine, timing chain, transfer case, and transmission.

Anyone else have this much work needed? Seems pretty Excessive for a 2013.
I get regular oil changes, and do not drive the car hard as I have small children and use the car for work and errands. No idea how it was driven or maintained prior to me owning.

Picking up from dealer today after almost 3 weeks.

Should I get rid of this lemon?

Well, when everything is gona be new now - why would you want to get rid of ?
Change PTU oil though, whenever you change engine oil.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I agree, you basically have a new drivetrain, but something seems fishy. Why would they be replacing all that from a check engine light? Would a transfer case set off a check engine light? Then to keep calling saying more things are wrong.

Also, you mention you're getting a new engine and a new timing chain. If it was a new(or rebuilt) engine,I would expect it to have a new timing chain. If it was used, would they put in a new timing chain just for fun?

Sorry, but sounds like a troll post.

Last edited:
I agree, when you buy a remanufactured engine it already has the timing chain on it. The only way I can see this to be actually true is if something happened to the car while the previous owner had it in his possession.

Agree that sounds strange. But possible perhaps. But they would never re-use a timing chain and put it into a new long block. That would be like saying "they are replacing the long block and I get a new timing chain, new timing chain cover, new camshafts, new head gasket, new pistons" There are like a thousand parts that you are getting new. Timing chain is just one of them, all part of the long block. I wonder what the deal is.
My 08 with 93k is running strong. Never have had any issue other than preventative maintenance (boy was the stretch belt a nightmare to replace).

Back