2016 Grand Touring LED upgrade

Thanks for the pictures of the led license before and after. Looks great.

Being that this is a 2016 Car and under warranty, does installing Philips W5W LED lights void the warranty should something go wrong?

I know this is a silly question but I want to be sure before installing anything.

I had some cheap LED lights from china that melted on my previous car but luckily nothing happened to the car.

Thanks.

Thanks for the pictures of the led license before and after. Looks great.

Being that this is a 2016 Car and under warranty, does installing Philips W5W LED lights void the warranty should something go wrong?

I know this is a silly question but I want to be sure before installing anything.

I had some cheap LED lights from china that melted on my previous car but luckily nothing happened to the car.

Thanks.

Not sure about the warranty part, but if something went wrong I would just put the original bulbs back in.

Totally right. I kept my original bulb just in case something goes wrong. If you go with the LED, buy the ones that's at least branded and got some good reviews on it. Not the cheap China ones. Buy once cry once. :). I bought this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Quick question to Signature owners though, did anybody get to check your cargo light if it's LED or not?

Last edited:
I'm interested to know on how to change the rear signal light to LED with the resistor installed with it or where to access the bulb as I'm heading to that route too. Definitely a worthy upgrade to match the front LED signal lights.

Philips have a resistor and you can connect them without cutting any wires. The issue is all resistors requires a heatsink attached to metal. So this is a deal breaker?

It was pretty simple. You access it by the rear of the car. Open up the hatch a little and stick a flat head screwdriver into the plastic slot. Depending on what side of the lens you are on, you want to pry towards the bulb if that makes sense. You can see a pic in the manual on page 6-52.

This is not the same car, but it's the same concept. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1alUe8SZZDY

Regarding the reverse lights, can you post link to the one you ordered and will that need resistor as well?

I installed today the reverse light. Very quickly. I cannot replace the license plate led because I was unable to open the plastic protector. But now I see the video you post it and will try tomorrow.

I installed today the reverse light. Very quickly. I cannot replace the license plate led because I was unable to open the plastic protector. But now I see the video you post it and will try tomorrow.

So what LED reverse light did you get cubanomx? Do you have the link? Thanks.

So what LED reverse light did you get cubanomx? Do you have the link? Thanks.

This is the led I installed. More expensive than the ones you can get from China, but Philips quality leds here with reflection (special for license plates)

And Philips have a Can-Bus (like a resistor) for the turn lights.

I don't purchase it because I don't have where to fix it in the car (heatsink)

Open up the hatch a little and stick a flat head screwdriver into the plastic slot. Depending on what side of the lens you are on, you want to pry towards the bulb if that makes sense.

I try, and try, and try. 10 times. different screwdrivers. I can't remove the plastic cap for the license plate leds! (dunno)

Regarding the reverse lights, can you post link to the one you ordered and will that need resistor as well?.

The reverse light don't need the resistor. This is the link for the Philips Led: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Open up the hatch a little and stick a flat head screwdriver into the plastic slot. Depending on what side of the lens you are on, you want to pry towards the bulb if that makes sense.

I try, and try, and try. 10 times. different screwdrivers. I can't remove the plastic cap for the license plate leds! (dunno)

Regarding the reverse lights, can you post link to the one you ordered and will that need resistor as well?.

The reverse light don't need the resistor. This is the link for the Philips Led: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Once you insert the flat head screwdriver into the outer side part of the plastic cover, try to pry it with the flathead tip going outside or away from the bulb. And while doing it gently, pull it out. See if this works or this makes sense.

This is the led I installed. More expensive than the ones you can get from China, but Philips quality leds here with reflection (special for license plates)

And Philips have a Can-Bus (like a resistor) for the turn lights.

I don't purchase it because I don't have where to fix it in the car (heatsink)

Did the reverse lights from Philips gave you an error message when you install them? I know some LED bulbs will give you an error message that lights are out.

Once you insert the flat head screwdriver into the outer side part of the plastic cover, try to pry it with the flathead tip going outside or away from the bulb. And while doing it gently, pull it out. See if this works or this makes sense.
Will try again. Thanks

Enviado desde mi SM-G800M mediante Tapatalk

I try again, without success. Very frustrated. :(

I don't understand myself how I was capable in the 90's to take appart High-End 3 Head cassette tape decks mechanics in small pieces and repair complex issues without problem at all. 2 weeks ago I dissaamble a high end heavy duty 10,000 USD laptop in parts for a complex motherboard change and a 6U HP Generation 6 Proliant Server but I cannot remove a simple plastic cap for a bulb change here! arrrrgggg.

I was about to broke the plastic cap, I try lot of different angles, procedures, screwdrivers, etc. very weird, I cannot change the stupid bulb for my new led. amazing.

I try again, without success. Very frustrated. :(

I don't understand myself how I was capable in the 90's to take appart High-End 3 Head cassette tape decks mechanics in small pieces and repair complex issues without problem at all. 2 weeks ago I dissaamble a high end heavy duty 10,000 USD laptop in parts for a complex motherboard change and a 6U HP Generation 6 Proliant Server but I cannot remove a simple plastic cap for a bulb change here! arrrrgggg.

I was about to broke the plastic cap, I try lot of different angles, procedures, screwdrivers, etc. very weird, I cannot change the stupid bulb for my new led. amazing.

When mine came off, it felt like it broke. It sort of popped off. Sucks you can't get your's off.

I upgraded the luggage compartment light last night to LED. It's a nicer white light but I don't think it's any brighter than the incandescent light bulb. I wish they would have put a light on each side.

IMG_20160831_202104.jpg

IMG_20160831_202153.jpg

I upgraded the luggage compartment light last night to LED. It's a nicer white light but I don't think it's any brighter than the incandescent light bulb. I wish they would have put a light on each side.

IMG_20160831_202104.jpg

IMG_20160831_202153.jpg

That looks nice forty9er. So how did you take it out? And what LED bulb did you use?

That looks nice forty9er. So how did you take it out? And what LED bulb did you use?

The side that has the switch, you stick a flat head screwdriver in there and try to unlatch the light assembly. I would recommend covering the screwdriver with cloth to protect from scratching.

Here is the backside, you can see the latch in the middle.

IMG_20160831_201503.jpg

The opposite side just slides in.

IMG_20160831_201445.jpg

The left side is the latch side as seen below:

IMG_20160831_201827.jpg

The clear lens clover snaps off. This to me was the hardest part. I used two flat heads and worked my way around to remove it.

Here is the OEM bulb. You'll notice the ends are flat (sorry for crap pic). The LED bulb doesn't have that flat end. So it's kind of a pain to insert.

IMG_20160831_202512.jpg

Here is the LED bulb I used.

IMG_20160831_202548.jpg

You have to use needle nose pliers to insert the LED bulb.

Hope this helps if you decide to upgrade it.

The side that has the switch, you stick a flat head screwdriver in there and try to unlatch the light assembly. I would recommend covering the screwdriver with cloth to protect from scratching.

Here is the backside, you can see the latch in the middle.

IMG_20160831_201503.jpg

The opposite side just slides in.

IMG_20160831_201445.jpg

The left side is the latch side as seen below:

IMG_20160831_201827.jpg

The clear lens clover snaps off. This to me was the hardest part. I used two flat heads and worked my way around to remove it.

Here is the OEM bulb. You'll notice the ends are flat (sorry for crap pic). The LED bulb doesn't have that flat end. So it's kind of a pain to insert.

IMG_20160831_202512.jpg

Here is the LED bulb I used.

IMG_20160831_202548.jpg

You have to use needle nose pliers to insert the LED bulb.

Hope this helps if you decide to upgrade it.

Thanks for the pictures. I tried prying it 2 weeks ago right after I posted it here that the cargo light is not LED and just like you said but I stopped. I'm afraid that I might break or crack the light cover. I will try it again when I'll get the chance.

Back