2016 Grand Touring LED upgrade

forty9er

:
2016 Mazda CX-9 GT
Has anyone upgraded the OEM rear turn signals, reverse lights and/or license plate lights to LED yet? I'm confused as to why all the other lights are LED (at least the 2016 Grand Touring trim) but those are not.

I have the license plate LED lights on the way from Amazon and I'll post pictures of before and after.

In case anyone needs the info, here are the bulbs pulled from the owners manual

Rear turn signal lights - 21 watts WY21W (7443NA)

Reverse lights - 18 watts W16W (921)

License plate lights - 5 watts W5W

Before LED
IMG_20160809_205124.jpg

After LED
IMG_20160810_202433.jpg

I like the new look and it took 2 minutes to install.

Nice to see a local on here. I'm in Fort Myers. I work in Naples and the in-laws live there

Sent from my 0PM92 using Tapatalk

Nice to see a local on here. I'm in Fort Myers. I work in Naples and the in-laws live there

Nice, I was actually working in Fort Myers until a couple of months ago with FSW. I got sick and tired of the drive so I had to make the switch and get a job in Naples.

Makes sense, traveling to FSW is a headache. I only drive from Daniels to Immokakee. It's right off the interstate but that morning/afternoon traffic is just getting worse

I like the new look with led. Are you planning to upgrade the rear turn signal lights?

Last edited:
I like the new look with led. Are you planning to upgrade the rear turn signal lights?

Enviado desde mi SM-G800M mediante Tapatalk

Yes I am, just not sure if I can just switch out the bulb for LED or if I need a resistor or whatever it was called.

I'm interested to know on how to change the rear signal light to LED with the resistor installed with it or where to access the bulb as I'm heading to that route too. Definitely a worthy upgrade to match the front LED signal lights.

Has anyone upgraded the OEM rear turn signals, reverse lights and/or license plate lights to LED yet? I'm confused as to why all the other lights are LED (at least the 2016 Grand Touring trim) but those are not.

I have the license plate LED lights on the way from Amazon and I'll post pictures of before and after.

In case anyone needs the info, here are the bulbs pulled from the owners manual

Rear turn signal lights - 21 watts WY21W (7443NA)

Reverse lights - 18 watts W16W (921)

License plate lights - 5 watts W5W

Thanks for sharing the types of lights used in the CX9 2nd generation.

I just purchase W16W for the reverse lights and W5W for the License plate lights in Amazon. High quality Philip Leds. I expect them in Mexico in few days.

Can you please let me know how to change the lights for the license plate? How difficult?

I will change the rear turn signal lights (wy21w) in the future, when I found the product in amazon available for mexico shipping. I believe I will need the resistor (I don't like that) because the 6ohm resistor will be very hot.

Thanks for sharing the types of lights used in the CX9 2nd generation.

I just purchase W16W for the reverse lights and W5W for the License plate lights in Amazon. High quality Philip Leds. I expect them in Mexico in few days.

Can you please let me know how to change the lights for the license plate? How difficult?

I will change the rear turn signal lights (wy21w) in the future, when I found the product in amazon available for mexico shipping. I believe I will need the resistor (I don't like that) because the 6ohm resistor will be very hot.

It was pretty simple. You access it by the rear of the car. Open up the hatch a little and stick a flat head screwdriver into the plastic slot. Depending on what side of the lens you are on, you want to pry towards the bulb if that makes sense. You can see a pic in the manual on page 6-52.

This is not the same car, but it's the same concept. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1alUe8SZZDY

Regarding the reverse lights, can you post link to the one you ordered and will that need resistor as well?

It was pretty simple. You access it by the rear of the car. Open up the hatch a little and stick a flat head screwdriver into the plastic slot. Depending on what side of the lens you are on, you want to pry towards the bulb if that makes sense. You can see a pic in the manual on page 6-52.

This is not the same car, but it's the same concept. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1alUe8SZZDY

Regarding the reverse lights, can you post link to the one you ordered and will that need resistor as well?
The reverse light don't need the resistor because the reverse light only turns on and off. this light is not intermittent.

I will send you the link tomorrow. If you want, Wait until I installed just to make sure the led works ok so you purchase after my confirmation.

Thanks for sharing the info for installing the leds in the plates.

The reverse light don't need the resistor because the reverse light only turns on and off. this light is not intermittent.

I will send you the link tomorrow. If you want, Wait until I installed just to make sure the led works ok so you purchase after my confirmation.

Thanks for sharing the info for installing the leds in the plates.

I'll wait to see if it works OK. Thanks again.

As I did changed the plate light light to LED which turned out to be gorgeous, the inside cargo light hit my eyes with an ugly yellow light. lol. Had anybody change this as well to LED? I just added this into my shopping list LED upgrade with the rear turn signal light as part of it as my priority.

This is for the rear turn signal light.

16c9dee11f3ca584d47114a1b263e83f.jpg

And the load resistor needed to get it to flash normally.

5d101f151fbf6cf3eb224f488cfe4395.jpg

Last edited:
Back