Audio Help/First Post

:
2006 Mazda 3i
Just got a 2006 Mazda 3 manual as first car that isn't my sisters and love it... but the audio quality is so-so. I'm concerned with audio quality of course and the alternator as I assume its not the strongest (90W ish?). If possible I would rather not replace the stock stereo even though I know it puts out low watts per channel, anyone know how many it actually is?.. I found these kicker component speakers with low RMS wattage and am thinking about getting them.
Kicker DS68.2 6"x8" component speaker system at Crutchfield.com

Still looking for speakers for the rear doors too.

BUT I know the bass on these will be weak and that these aren't the best speakers especially with the stock stereo. Could I add a Kicker bass station that I have that is 100W RMS and be ok with the alternator? Would it draw on it too much? I would rather have a working car than replacing the alternator and by this long ass post you can see I need A LOT of help. Also if you have any other suggestions I'd be open...try to persuade me..

Thanks and Sorry

Okay, so first of all, alternator output is generally measured in amperage (A), and voltage (v) not watts (W). Most passenger cars have alternator output anywhere between 65A and 95A at 14.5v.

The stereo head unit itself is a different story, and the power output of stereos is generally measured in watts. Most stereo head units output betweem 25w and 50w RMS, and that is generally sufficient unless you are looking at buying really high end gear.
With the stock head unit you can pretty much add whatever speakers you like and you should be fine, however in my experience once you hit about $150/pair you wont notice any difference because then the head unit will be the weak link in the system.

The reason lots of stock audio systems suck is because they have terrible equalizer settings which usually cannot be changed except by the very basic bass/treble adjustments some have.

Upgrading your speakers and adding some type of subwoofer will definitely make a noticeable difference, and unless you are getting into systems over probably around 1000w RMS your alternator should more than be able to handle the power requirements, even cranked all the way up.

In my 2002 protege5 i had an aftermarket head unit, an alpine 500w amp and type r sub, and an alpine 4 channel amp 50w/channel with type s speakers, and was a huge improvement over the stock system, no additional batteries, upgraded "big 3 wiring" or beefed up alternator required.

hope this helps

I think the speakers I looked at are 45 RMS which would be at the higher end of what the per channel output of the stock stereo may be, so you think going a little past that doesn't make much of a difference? And I haven't looked it up yet but, could I even easily hook up a sub to the stock stereo?

Thanks for info sjohans

Back