20XX Mazda CX5 Spy Shots

ugh I hate the cx9ish pointy front grill. also hate the tablet style nav screen sticking up on the dash like in the 3. I'm so glad I got the 2016 CX-5 before they ruin it

Last edited:
Yeah, the back end as well as the front are ehhh. Especially the rear looking like the cx9. Where was the picture showing the screen sticking up on the dash?

ugh I hate the cx9ish pointy front grill. also hate the tablet style nav screen sticking up on the dash like in the 3. I'm so glad I got the 2016 CX-5 before they ruin it

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...I have the 2016 cx5 and 2015 3, personally I like the screen sticking out of the dash on the 3, doesn't bother me in the least. The design of the 3's dash and minimal buttons means your eyes stay on the road, and the sticking up screen helps with that.
I do like the cx5's dash, but for me I prefer the 3's...and I like the look of the new cx9 inside and out...hope they simulate it in the updated cx5.

Good catch...

Any reason for the Michigan plates? Does Mazda maintain some development resources there?

I don't like it either. To pointy the grill, wheels are ugly.
I don't like the tablet style radio either.
What you do, if you don't like some of it's features? You can't go aftermarket.

Good catch...
Any reason for the Michigan plates? Does Mazda maintain some development resources there?
And testing this new CX-5 in SoCal with Michigan plates? Mazda should test this new CX-5 in Death Valley or at least in Arizona. LA's weather is too nice for testing a new car!

"SPIED On The STREET! Next-Gen Mazda CX-5 Caught In SoCal For The FIRST Time"

So...new rims? ROFL!

Seriously, Mazda needs to make a sports car at this point. I know, miata, but seriously. They need to make a 400+bhp sports car.

I don't like the tablet style radio either.
What you do, if you don't like some of it's features? You can't go aftermarket.

Bingo! Removing aftermarket options kills it for me. Best features of my CX-5 are the manual transmission and the aftermarket infotainment.

Removing the infotainment to go aftermarket is neither here nor there for me if I decide on a CX-5 (still shopping around). So many of the car's features are controlled through the infotainment system that it makes no sense, to me, to remove it. It would have been nice had all of that stuff been moved to the multi-function display near the speedometer, but then you would have the center console control stack just sitting there, being useless.

Perhaps you can get 20,000 of your closest friends to show Mazda that there's a solid business case for a niche product like that.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...I have the 2016 cx5 and 2015 3, personally I like the screen sticking out of the dash on the 3, doesn't bother me in the least. The design of the 3's dash and minimal buttons means your eyes stay on the road, and the sticking up screen helps with that.
I do like the cx5's dash, but for me I prefer the 3's...and I like the look of the new cx9 inside and out...hope they simulate it in the updated cx5.

+1
I too prefer the 3's simplicity yet modern interior and concave-ish dash, which feels more open, less of an obstacle to peek over.
Not sure about the 2.5T, while of course I don't know anything, I doubt it will be available in the CX-5.

Looks like its pretty much a smaller version of the new CX-9. The difference being the headlights now sit on top of the ends of the chrome grill. Fog lights now probably rectangular like the updated Mazda3. Will be interesting to see what the interior will look, again probably will get styling cues from the CX-9. Should look pretty smart I must say.

Infotainments that control the entire vehicle are here to stay. If you don't like that better get a couple cars now because in a couple years all cars will be that way...
I quite like the new CX-5.

Personally I'll miss the distinct look of the existing CX-5, like the wavy contour from car's side (incl. the way it curves up behind the rear wheels). Not particularly looking forward to just another scaled down clone of the CX-9. In terms of interior I hope they're not going to raise center console so much that the gear shift lever gets into the way of the climate controls as in CX-9.

Latest posts

Back