Relentless tire noise when hitting brake

drewjonn

:
Mazda CX-5 Touring
Here is the thing, I always try to smooth brake before completely stopping (say I slowly brake for around 10 seconds before stopping on a red light to ensure convenience) and what happens is some kind of noisy friction that I believe comes from the tires right before stopping. Especially on a slowly moving traffic where you have to constantly hit and release brake it might produce 10-15 of those noises in a minute.

I've never had this issue on any cars I've driven previously. The noise sounds like 'krrrr' (sorry had to do it), but it sounds like a major friction between my tires and the road. Also that it happens on every single brake.

I'm taking it to the service center this Wednesday but would like to hear from you guys to give them clearer instructions about the problem.

Anyone?

Last edited:
Assuming it's coming from the tires, are they properly inflated? Happens on all kind of pavement?

Why would this " krrr" be coming from the tires and not the brakes???

I know I'm not an expert but this clearly sounds like the rubber on the tires instead of brake. and as I mentioned it sounds like the tires and surfaces are severely frictioned

Last edited:
Assuming it's coming from the tires, are they properly inflated? Happens on all kind of pavement?

I switched tires since I got a spike on both of the front tires and the noise stayed exactly the same. but yeah, of course they are properly inflated.

All pavement and surface, I start to assume that this is more like the connection between brake and tires instead of roads etc.

It's most likely the tires? Especially since that's the only variable that changed? (assuming the install was correct)

I had a friend who had the same issues when he got a new set of tires. They were some cheap chinese/no name tires. Once he switched them to better tires, the noise went away.

Some tires have some natural frequencies that sound louder at specific speeds or under certain conditions, which could be why you're only hearing it during braking.

What tires did you get?

It's most likely the tires? Especially since that's the only variable that changed? (assuming the install was correct)

I had a friend who had the same issues when he got a new set of tires. They were some cheap chinese/no name tires. Once he switched them to better tires, the noise went away.

Some tires have some natural frequencies that sound louder at specific speeds or under certain conditions, which could be why you're only hearing it during braking.

What tires did you get?

Yokohama on the front, Dunlop on the rear. Idk but Yokohama is clearly the one that comes with Mazda cars themselves. Even though tires can react differently in certain circumstances, I don't think it's another "blue sky" day for Mazda to let that happen.

My guess still stands between tires and brakes though.

If it only happens during braking, then it might just be the brakes. Probably just have to wait for the service to check it out.

Issues with tires usually follow/change with the speed of the car/rpm of the tires.

In my friend's case with the bad tires, the sound would go up and down as he changed his speed, but was the loudest under braking.

Back